What's new

Gillette Silver Blue I Love You! 27th November To 4th December 2023! Sign Up GSB Cultists And Fans Of This Classic Blade!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_8868.jpeg

Gillette Silver Blue love week, seventh and final shave for this challenge. The Gillette Silver Blue did not let me down this week. Seven great shaves and I reckon it go do quite a few more. The Star DE razor is a little beauty and as I mentioned earlier, this combination works really well for me.

@Osyri Glad of you to join us. Your blade is really impressive, either its older than you or you managed to mangle it after 1 shave or many shaves, this I cannot tell but what I can say it has seen alot, must have been thru alot.

Mighty fine razor you have there, the Mighty Tech. :yesnod: Not the only mighty razor around but a mighty razor nevertheless.
Good News is I have been using a Tech w/ GSB for about 10+ days, bad news is that I didn't post any photos due to the Holidays and my business travel!

The blade photo only has 2 uses, GSB (new version) anti counterfeit laser etching or printing comes off easily compare to the old version!

After almost 2 weeks with tech and GSB, I need a variety! Can't wait to get home and use a different razor!

@Osyri I can understand that! I will trying out the new GSB tomorrow so I have expectations for it, no doubt it will be great. Just read your post on your journal. I will give my 1 cent (can't even say 2) as the GSB (whether old or new) is a great blade. Glad you got it when you still can early in your wetshaving journey and when they are still available.

Date03.12.2023
365 daily shaves
337/365
DecemBOAR03/31
DEcember05/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Gillette Silver Blue (8)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (Old weeper)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10 (DFS+++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Third Rocca shave and a smooth Sunday shave unfolded.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

A final outing with the GSB in this event. WolfmanWR1 .80 DC. Three passes, DFS.

20231203_103745.jpeg

Verdict:
I really understand why this blade is getting so much love in the community. It features a buttery smooth edge, that's really impressive. Unfortunately, I couldn't make this blade shine on my face when it came to the level of efficiency I'm after for in a blade. Today's shave made no difference. A solid shave, but I guess the results won't last as long as it is common for shaves with this pretty efficient razor. It just didn't do the trick for me. I decided against adding more touchups and extra buffing in order to avoid irritation. Thus I'll need a shave tomorrow in the morning again... and yeah, I'll use a sharper blade 😜

This experience is not a knock on the blade, it just doesn't make the cut for me and my face 😉

Thanks, Simon @Alum Ladd for hosting this event!

Have a nice weekend, Gents 😀👍

Last edited:
A final outing with the GSB in this event. WolfmanWR1 .80 DC. Three passes, DFS.

View attachment 1758166
Verdict:
I really understand why this blade is getting so much love in the community. It features a buttery smooth edge, that's really impressive. Unfortunately, I couldn't make this blade shine on my face when it came to the level of efficiency I'm after for in a blade. Today's shave made no difference. A solid shave, but I guess the results won't last as long as it is common for shaves with this pretty efficient razor. It just didn't do the trick for me. I decided against adding more touchups and extra buffing in order to avoid irritation. Thus I'll need a shave tomorrow in the morning again... and yeah, I'll use a sharper blade 😜

This experience is not a knock on the blade, it just doesn't make the cut for me and my face 😉

Thanks, Simon @Alum Ladd for hosting this event!

Have a nice weekend, Gents 😀👍
That's how I felt about the GSB before I tried it meaning I never thought it would be sharp enough for me until I tried it a couple of months ago. I also like and need a sharp blade so when I tried this, I was ultra impressed.

Too bad it didn't work out for you, as we all know, YMMV, however the analysis is appreciated. Blades are a funny thing, its such a YMMV . Anyhow wanted to comment as you had a very different experience (once using the blade) than what I had where I was always like "Why do people like this so much?" when I say up there in the top tier of blades but I know why now, in my experience as to why it is so highly regarded. I really do like these blades so I will be enjoying my shave later today.

Thanks. I have one marked Souplex with the hollow handle also, but for some unknown reason I find the Big Ben shaves just a little more smoothly even swapping the handles around. They're identical and it doesn't make sense to me either... :)
Thats really funny 🤣. I have the Souplex because I wanted to make sure I got Souplex and yea it was bit of a thing to get it but I did. I enjoy it but I do find it funny that the Big Ben shaves a bit better for than the Souplex...... that's wetshaving for you..... :001_smile

That's how I felt about the GSB before I tried it meaning I never thought it would be sharp enough for me until I tried it a couple of months ago. I also like and need a sharp blade so when I tried this, I was ultra impressed.

Too bad it didn't work out for you, as we all know, YMMV, however the analysis is appreciated. Blades are a funny thing, its such a YMMV . Anyhow wanted to comment as you had a very different experience (once using the blade) than what I had where I was always like "Why do people like this so much?" when I say up there in the top tier of blades but I know why now, in my experience as to why it is so highly regarded. I really do like these blades so I will be enjoying my shave later today.
Thanks for your feedback. 🍻

It's definitely YMMV. I really would have loved to make this blade work better on my face... but I guess, if I'm in for a smooth shave I'd rather pick a mild razor loaded with a very sharp blade... works better for this way.

Enjoy your Sunday shave 👍

lasta

Blade Biter
GSB appreciation week is coming to a close and everything went smoothly. To be honest, I half expected @Alum Ladd to gather everyone together just to burn it at the stake...given his historical aversion to this blade.

Then again, I suppose a full week with the finest blade will convert even the most fervent unbelievers!

I'm ending my appreciation week with a 4th use "new" GSB, nothing out of the ordinary, just perfect shaving!

Chased and achieved BBS even with a very mild GC68.
20231204_052137.jpg

Silvana Bluetata everyone!

Date04.12.2023
365 daily shaves
338/365
DecemBOAR03/31
DEcember04/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Gillette Silver Blue (9)Mühle Rocca Silvertip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10 (DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - A slight detour from December, but with Mühle Monday and the gear I received last week I simply had to use them together! Splendid shave to kickstart my week.

Thanks for organising this event Simon @Alum Ladd - great blade!

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom