What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread X - A decade of BBQ

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks great, Jim.

Just a quick what am I going to eat situation, so throw on some lamb shoulder chops and those horrible pre cooked sausages the wife likes.

My first cook of twenty nineteen.

20190101_190126.jpg

I was scrolling down looking at all those juicy pictures and realized that i want a smoker for myself too. I was looking on site web sites, but can't decide. Recently, I found a recipe on Slow-Smoked Brisket Recipe and they assure that smoker is not needed, but meat looks so good on that picture and it was cooked on griller. But i'm a bit worried to use charcoal as we have hyperactive dogs on the yard. So i've narrowed down my research on electric ones, but can't decide which one to choose. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Here is the link: 5 Best Electric Smokers | Enjoy Smoked Food on Your Patio Year Round | Buyer’s Guide 2019

I was scrolling down looking at all those juicy pictures and realized that i want a smoker for myself too. I was looking on site web sites, but can't decide. Recently, I found a recipe on Slow-Smoked Brisket Recipe and they assure that smoker is not needed, but meat looks so good on that picture and it was cooked on griller. But i'm a bit worried to use charcoal as we have hyperactive dogs on the yard. So i've narrowed down my research on electric ones, but can't decide which one to choose. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Here is the link: 5 Best Electric Smokers | Enjoy Smoked Food on Your Patio Year Round | Buyer’s Guide 2019
Propane smokers work well too!

looks promising. Is it heavy?
Really heavy, about 250 pounds! The ceramic is heavy, but is an excellent insulation. You can easily smoke a full packer brisket on one load of charcoal, or ramp up the temperature and bake pizza at 700°

I don't have any models to recommend, but if you are looking for an affordable, portable, option just go look around at Lowe's or Walmart. They're less than $150 and youll have to add high temp gasket stripping and supply your own cylinder for propane. I doubt they're more likely to explode than an everyday gas grill.

Not saying this is the clear best choice you... Just an option to consider! Let us know what u decide!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@moskvila, I haven't used any of the cookers mentioned in that article, but I do love my Camp Chef pellet cooker that I got several months ago.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
looks promising. Is it heavy?
Chargrill makes the Akorn, which is two layers of steel with insulation in between. While nowhere near the quality of ceramics like Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg, it doesn’t use much charcoal, and is a cheap way to see if kamado cooking is right for you before dropping big money on a ceramic (which I will be doing shortly).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Any one of the electric smokers you've cited above will work fine. They are easy to move around and do a fair job of getting the smoke into the meat while cooking. Consider also a step up to an Electric Pellet Smokers. The pellets come in all kinds of different woods, such as apple, oak, mesquite, hickory, etc.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
But i'm a bit worried to use charcoal as we have hyperactive dogs on the yard.

Most smokers are heavy enough that a dog won't turn it over. A charcoal grill on the other hand....

If the dogs knock over a propane smoker then there is the possibility of the gas line coming loose (very unlikely) then you'd have a gas leak.

Your dogs would only put their paws on an off-set stick burner's firebox just once...once. I have some young barn cats that thought they would investigate the smoker when it was going and jumped up on the firebox, then jumped again...quickly, really really quickly. :biggrin1:

I have no idea about an electric smoker, never even seen one.

I’ve got a Traeger pellet smoker and wish I would have had one twenty years ago. Nothing better than leaving for 8 hrs and know your food is cooking with no work involved. I even ponied up for a Wi-Fi thermometer so I know where things stand when I’m not there.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just ate my first Waygu last week from jungle Jim’s in Cincinnati. Great steak but not $26 a pound great. The wife and I each had a ribeye and although fantastic I can’t justify the price. I’m sure you can get t for way less than I can.
Real "Wagyu" beef is only served in 8 restaurants in the US. This beef is imported from Japan. Other strains of Wagyu (more than likely "Red" or "Brown" Wagyu) breed and raised in American from the original strains are widely available and a high quality beef. Japan no longer allows the genetics from Wagyu cattle to leave the country and it is now considered a "National Treasure."

Real "Wagyu" beef is only served in 8 restaurants in the US. This beef is imported from Japan. Other strains of Wagyu (more than likely "Red" or "Brown" Wagyu) breed and raised in American from the original strains are widely available and a high quality beef. Japan no longer allows the genetics from Wagyu cattle to leave the country and it is now considered a "National Treasure."
Interesting to know. $26 a pound and I ate a knockoff steak. Fantastic.

Top Bottom