What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread X - A decade of BBQ

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice Derek. Smoking a turkey can give it a pink tinge which is normal...not to be mistaken with an under-cooked bird.

I'll give that olive oil injection a try. My turkey for Thanksgiving I injected with melted butter mixed with chicken broth....was pretty good.

Nice Derek. Smoking a turkey can give it a pink tinge which is normal...not to be mistaken with an under-cooked bird.

I'll give that olive oil injection a try. My turkey for Thanksgiving I injected with melted butter mixed with chicken broth....was pretty good.
That does sound good. I think I might do butter next time. I keep meaning to try it and the fact that it solidifies when injected is probably beneficial.

IMG_0371.JPG
2 racks of baby backs on the WSM. Used 2 chunks of sugar maple and two different rubs. Cooked about 4.5 hours. Nice weather here today for BBQ.

IMG_0370.JPG

View attachment 935839 2 racks of baby backs on the WSM. Used 2 chunks of sugar maple and two different rubs. Cooked about 4.5 hours. Nice weather here today for BBQ.

View attachment 935835
Sugar maple sounds like a good wood. I use almost exclusively Apple and Ash. Apple for ribs, fish, corned beef....Ash for pork butts, as they seem less sensitive to heavier wood scent (less surface area). The bark is fantastic.

My specialty is corned beef. Pastrami! Chopped, not sliced. Plain or made into a Reuben! Second specialty is salmon and whitefish. (Dips but also just plain).

Winter is the best season for smoking, IMO.

I was happy to see a BBQ thread here. Thanks

Last edited:
View attachment 852814 View attachment 852816 View attachment 852817 I am loving the KJ. Next on the agenda...ribs. My procedure takes a couple-three days.
First-split some seasoned cherry wood. This is work. Had to use my 3 1/2 lb. Council Tool Felling Ax. This cherrywood just smirked at my
Husqvarna/Hults Bruk Swedish Forestry Ax...more like laughed at it really.
Second-tomorrow we season the meat with a special secret rub.
Never was very good at keeping secrets-
1/2 cup each...
Brown sugar, coarse grind black pepper, paprika
1/4 cup each...
Chili powder, kosher salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
Massage into the meat with a firm yet tender hand.
Wrap them back up and refrigerate for a day.
.....more to follow
I love when people share their secret recipes. And this rub I can FULLY endorse as I use nearly the same blend myself!! I also get to swing the ax to bust up the apple logs. Makes me feel ALIVE! I use the single side blade with wooden handle from the hardware store. Forget which brand but it says made in USA. (which is rare these days). Wasn't very expensive either..
Edit:. Just remembered: Truper brand ax

Last edited:
I did 2 pork-bellies worth of bacon burnt ends over applewood on my upright propane smoker on Dec 23, and then a bone in prime rib on my Dad's stick smoker over a combination of oak and mesquite on Christmas Eve. Christmas day was leftover burnt ends and tamales with tomatillo/smoked hatch chili verde sauce. Here are the burnt ends before and after, and the prime rib when I put it on the smoker. Sadly, no pic of the finished product but it was delicious...
bbq1.jpg
bbq2.jpg
bbq3.jpg

Looking good cam.

Forgot to add this, a ribeye roast (2 ribs). Slow smoked and then finished over high heat on the acorn. Forgot the action photos.
proxy.php

Top Bottom