What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread X - A decade of BBQ

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After basting in butter...I think we are done...170 degrees. I think the bark is good, and it's tender meat also from a little sliver I sliced off.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
First Que with the new smoker. The weather is not the best but I found a old beat up market umbrella to keep the rain off.

20181125_142531.jpg

Peri peri chicken is first in the que.

20181125_145707.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I see that you've put your smoker through it's paces. What are the positives and negatives so far?

Oh, and nice first cookoff.

Pro's - it's not longer clean and unused.
Food was great and moist even with some temperature swings..... Operator leaning curve.

Con's - The lid leaks a bit of smoke.
The wife still complains about the smoke. I did not expect that to change though. :)

Need to find something to seal it with and buy a temperature monitoring probe.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Pro's - it's not longer clean and unused.
Food was great and moist even with some temperature swings..... Operator leaning curve.

Con's - The lid leaks a bit of smoke.
The wife still complains about the smoke. I did not expect that to change though. :)

Need to find something to seal it with and buy a temperature monitoring probe.
High temperature food grade caulk can help with leaks. My wife complains about the smoke too until she takes a bite of the food.

Do you mean lavalock? Either way you choose your pit lid needs to be completely clean or caulk or taping gasket won't stick.

Based on my experience I didn't find that to be true for the felt gasket. I lightly cleaned it, but didn't do anything special and it is sticking perfectly fine.

I also didn't let it cure for 24 hours...

Just for clarification... is the caulk for the lid of the smoker or the SWMBO? :a30:

I know that if my SWMBO caught me sneaking up behind her with a caulk gun I would likely develop an immediate terminal health problem.

Ruckin

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My pit is pretty tight other than a point on the hinge side. I installed the lava lock but it created gaps in other parts of the hinge area. I ditched it. Over time seasoning sealed the gaps.

Top Bottom