What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

Well, I broke down and needed to see for myself how close the BT131 from Baili is to the Global Shave razors. It is on order from Amazon. I should have it by Wednesday.

Well, I broke down and needed to see for myself how close the BT131 from Baili is to the Global Shave razors. It is on order from Amazon. I should have it by Wednesday.
In photos the baseplate of the Replitech looks much thicker than the Baili. Do post photos if you can.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I Did order the razor shortly after the Black Tiger came out. Looks like they now offer it with a steel top cap.
I just obtained two of the Black Tiger razors and neither top cap is magnetic on the ones I received. Base plate and handle are though. I'm sure the parts that are steel are 100% steel, because the box says so. :) I look forward to trying them out.

Well, today I tried the wetshavingclub.com Vintage Style razor head with the MR11 handle. I found for me the razor became more usable around my lips and the weight distribution was better for how I like to choke up on the razor a bit. The shave was a DFS and the skin doesn't feel raked over, but I still didn't get a lot of blade sound or feed back feel. I think the head clamps down on the blade a lot more than the Global Shave Club razors and I think the lack of blade exposure means there is less blade to vibrate and make sounds. Good shave though 9/10.

Went back to the Global Shave Club Sumatra with the Maggard Razors MR11 handle, it worked just as well as the first time and it might be the combo I like the most so far. I found a four slot Tech type clone at TJMaxx yesterday and will be trying that one out soon. I am waiting on the Baili to show up as well. I also just scored a nice Fat Handle Tech and a Gillette Slim Adjustable, so plenty to try in the next few weeks!

Well, I did a thing today. I went ahead and did a Black Tiger V. Sumatra Shave.

Here are the constant variables:
Blades: MenSmell Stainless (I got 105 of them when I bought the wetshavingclub.com razor, so now I have a way to use them up!)
Brush: Kensurfs Limited Edition DSCosmetic Brush with Tuxedo Synthetic Knot
Pre-shave: Proraso Green Cream
Cream: Proraso Blue (bowl lathered)
Post-shave: Proraso Green After-shave

After 1 pass WTG, the Sumatra was more efficient, I found that the Black Tiger left more stubble behind, but gave audible feed back that was a little more present and higher pitched.

After the 2nd pass XTG, the Sumatra was in the lead, but not by much.

After the 3rd pass ATG, I had no difference in closeness.

So, for me, I found that if I was only doing a 2 pass shave I would go with the Sumatra, if I was going to do a 3 pass it wouldn't matter. Since I always to at least a 3 pass it doesn't matter for me. Neither caused irritation for me, but I just found I like the build quality of the Sumatra a little more. The platting is better, and I just like the look of the rose gold head.

I did notice though that the Black Tiger has more blade Exposure, but that the blade gap between the two are basically the same.

Karatsu_TFAshaverBTvSum-3.JPG

Also, the ridges on the Sumatra are more defined and cast into the plate rather than cut into the safety bar like on the Black Tiger.
Karatsu_TFAshaverBTvSum-4.JPG

The handles are quite different. I find the Black Tiger rougher in quality, and it's threading doesn't start right at the end of the handle, so it gets only three turns before coming off the head or attaching to the head. The Sumatra feels more refined as far as feel goes and it's threading in the handle starts right away, so it take about 8 turns to get the head off or attached. Here are some photos of also how the handles designs are a little different at the top and bottom.
Karatsu_TFAshaverBTvSum-1.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverBTvSum-2.JPG

Overall, if I could only keep one, the Sumatra wins for me. Right not $9.99 at Global Shave Club. If you want to save $2.49 you can now get the Black Tiger for $7.50 at Global Shave Club. I think for the $2.49 more the Sumatra offers just that little extra bit that makes the razor a daily driver that will last a little longer to me. Only time will tell if the platting holds up though.

Now onto what arrived from Amazon and what I picked up at TJmaxx:
Karatsu_TFAshaverBailiBenSherman-1.JPG

The Baili BT-131 showed up from amazon, and it looks like the Sumatra. I also found this Ben Sherman razor at a TJMaxx, the handle looks a bit different, and the head is much different. The Ben Sherman has four slots for later to escape where the Baili has only two, I will try both of these individually and then the Baili is going up against the Global Shave Club Sumatra!

I also just purchased a nice Fat Handle Tech, so that will be compared to these soon! Hope you have some Great Shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Blades: MenSmell Stainless (I got 105 of them when I bought the wetshavingclub.com razor, so now I have a way to use them up!)

After 1 pass WTG, the Sumatra was more efficient, I found that the Black Tiger left more stubble behind, but gave audible feed back that was a little more present and higher pitched.

So, for me, I found that if I was only doing a 2 pass shave I would go with the Sumatra, if I was going to do a 3 pass it wouldn't matter. Since I always to at least a 3 pass it doesn't matter for me. Neither caused irritation for me, but I just found I like the build quality of the Sumatra a little more. The platting is better, and I just like the look of the rose gold head.

I did notice though that the Black Tiger has more blade Exposure, but that the blade gap between the two are basically the same.

View attachment 1030872

Also, the ridges on the Sumatra are more defined and cast into the plate rather than cut into the safety bar like on the Black Tiger.
View attachment 1030873

The handles are quite different. I find the Black Tiger rougher in quality, and it's threading doesn't start right at the end of the handle, so it gets only three turns before coming off the head or attaching to the head. The Sumatra feels more refined as far as feel goes and it's threading in the handle starts right away, so it take about 8 turns to get the head off or attached. Here are some photos of also how the handles designs are a little different at the top and bottom.
View attachment 1030870View attachment 1030871

Overall, if I could only keep one, the Sumatra wins for me. Right not $9.99 at Global Shave Club. If you want to save $2.49 you can now get the Black Tiger for $7.50 at Global Shave Club. I think for the $2.49 more the Sumatra offers just that little extra bit that makes the razor a daily driver that will last a little longer to me. Only time will tell if the platting holds up though.

View attachment 1030876
The Baili BT-131 showed up from amazon, and it looks like the Sumatra. I also found this Ben Sherman razor at a TJMaxx, the handle looks a bit different, and the head is much different. The Ben Sherman has four slots for later to escape where the Baili has only two, I will try both of these individually and then the Baili is going up against the Global Shave Club Sumatra!

I also just purchased a nice Fat Handle Tech, so that will be compared to these soon! Hope you have some Great Shaves!
Thank you very much for contributing to the 'Tech Clone Wars' reviews. Well done!

My Sumatra should be here shortly.

Thank you very much for contributing to the 'Tech Clone Wars' reviews. Well done!

My Sumatra should be here shortly.
No problem. I am very interested in how these all stack up together really. It has also been really fun to do and is giving plenty of material to use on my Youtube channel right now

View attachment 1030872

View attachment 1030873

View attachment 1030870View attachment 1030871

View attachment 1030876

The Sumatra is a good looking razor. Especially for 10 bucks.

Tomorrow I will start my month of Techs and Tech clones. I have only used a Tech a few times so this will be something new for me. I will be starting with a triangle slot no date code Gillette Tech. I plan to use it for a week to get the feel of it then will move up to the newer Techs then finally the old style and new style Baili Tech clones.
IMG951042.jpg

Last edited:
I just spent all of October with a Tech razor and Astra SS. My line of thought today was that if I could have only one razor it would be a vintage Tech. I used Astra SS blades the entire month and was extremely pleased. I look forward to going back to the Tech but my Rockwell 6S wants my attention for November. Enjoy your Tech.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Good to know I will take a look back through. Thanks.

Here are my notes for the razor in question:

Shave 20191015:

"This is not a true Tech Clone in that there are four smaller oval slots on each side instead of the two larger slots on the Techs and the Tech Clones.

Blade alignment was problematic. Took a couple of tries to get the Personna Red properly centered.

Only made it WTG and partially XTG when I threw in the towel on this razor. Harsh and inefficient - not my cup of tea.

Every Tech Clone I've shaved with in this series shaves a lot better than this razor. I loaded the Personna in the Tiger and comfortably finished up my shave.

Not recommended.

1.5/10"

Just my opinion and YMMV.

I hope that the razor you got is different/better than the one I got.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tomorrow I will start my month of Techs and Tech clones. I have only used a Tech a few times so this will be something new for me. I will be starting with a triangle slot no date code Gillette Tech. I plan to use it for a week to get the feel of it then will move up to the newer Techs then finally the old style and new style Baili Tech clones.
View attachment 1030963
Welcome to the Tech Clone Wars. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I just spent all of October with a Tech razor and Astra SS. My line of thought today was that if I could have only one razor it would be a vintage Tech. I used Astra SS blades the entire month and was extremely pleased. I look forward to going back to the Tech but my Rockwell 6S wants my attention for November. Enjoy your Tech.

If I could only have one razor and one make of blades, it would very probably be my Hybrid Tech with a Maggard MR11 handle and Kai blades. 😎

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Received the Replitech and the Sumatra today. Already have the Baili BR131 and the Black Tiger.

First of all, the Ball End Handle on the Replitech is gorgeous - worth the price of admission if you need a heavyweight silver/nickle colored Ball End Handle for your mid-1950s English Tech. Great handle!

The handles on the Sumatra and the Baili BR131 are identical. The Black Tiger handle is the the only handle of the four that is ferrous.

Need to preface my comments: I do not have a set of calipers or micrometers to be able to perform a full set of measurements on the base plates and top caps - this is all by eye while wearing my 'throw up if I look up' cheaters.

So here we go: The baseplates and top caps of the Replitech, the Sumatra and The Baili BR131 are the same. The baseplate of the Black Tiger is the only one that is ferrous and, while the overall dimensions of the baseplate is similar, the angle of the SB is different plus the top cap covers more of the lather ovals. This could be one reason for any differences noted.

I'll get pics of everything side by side posted on Saturday.

I'll shave with each razor on half of my face over the weekend and post my observations.

More to follow.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There is one difference between the baseplates I should note: the Replitech baseplate has the number '22' stamped, the Sumatra has the number '23', the BR131 has the number '24' and the Black Tiger has no number stamped on the baseplate.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shaved before heading out to dinner with friends. Decided to use the Replitech on the right side of my face and the Black Tiger on the laft side of my face.

Pre-shave: Wash face with Neutrogena
Soap: Kent
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Blade: Kai (1)

Cliff's Notes update/review (full details to follow):

The Replitech seems to need a very shallow angle or it will bite you. It has more blade feel and more audible feedback than my vintage Techs.

The Black Tiger has a bit more leeway with the shaving angle and seems to be a mellower shaver overall.

The resulting shave was fairly even but there was one weeper and more irritation on the Replitech side.

IN MY OPINION, where the Kai blade is synergistic with vintage Techs, it may not be the best choice for the Replitech. I will use a Personna Israeli Platinum Red or a Voskhod for the next shave.

I'll add more later. :)

Top Bottom