What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I understand Kai blades be to be .008" wider than typical DE blades. Thats .004" per side, which is considerable.

I understand Kai blades be to be .008" wider than typical DE blades. Thats .004" per side, which is considerable.
I guess it's a your caliper may vary situation: "I measured its width (KAI) as 22.15 mm, I believe. I also measured a Feather blade, out of curiosity. I think that it came out to 21.94 mm.". I didn't dig any further though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Very interesting. If the blade is wider that would make the razor more efficient but would increase blade feel, correct? I have never tried a Kai blade but they are on my list to try.

Very interesting. If the blade is wider that would make the razor more efficient but would increase blade feel, correct? I have never tried a Kai blade but they are on my list to try.
All else beIng equal yes but all things are not equal so whether or not it feels more aggressive or performs with greater efficiency than another blade is impossible to predict.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
All else beIng equal yes but all things are not equal so whether or not it feels more aggressive or performs with greater efficiency than another blade is impossible to predict.

When I get the pics posted, we should be able to see the difference between the Replitech and the Black Tiger base plates.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Replitech is on the right, the Sumatra in the middle and the standard BR131 on the left.

Top of baseplates:

replitech-sumatra-br131 top of baseplate.jpg

Bottom of baseplates:

replitech-sumatra-br131 bottom.jpg

They look identical to me when I examine them together.

Here is the Replitech and the Black Tiger:

replitech-tiger bottom.jpg

replitech-tiger top of baseplate.jpg

You should be able to clearly see the differences in the position of the ovals and in the angle of the SB. Looks different, is different, shaves different.

Finally, the Sumatra and standard BR131 handles:

sumatra-br131 handles.jpg

So where does this leave us?

Without the benefit of a Micrometer, I am fairly confident in stating that the Replitech, Sumatra and standard BR131 share the same head and that the Sumatra and BR131 share the same handle.

I am also fairly confident in stating that the Black Tiger baseplate is different, which may account for the difference in shaving 'feel' I experienced hwen comparing the Replitech and Black Tiger Razors.

To be fair to the Replitech/Sumatra/BR131 style head, I will try it with a Voskhod this afternoon.

Next shave after that will be one of my 'Top Tier' Techs just to ground things in reality.

These are just my opinions and YMMV. :)

What do you think of the Replitech handle? GSC claims the Replitech weighs 3.4 ounces. If it uses the Baili head the handle must be fairly heavy for its size. I have the Razor Emporium replica handle in nickel and a brass one on order. I am curious how they compare.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
What do you think of the Replitech handle? GSC claims the Replitech weighs 3.4 ounces. If it uses the Baili head the handle must be fairly heavy for its size. I have the Razor Emporium replica handle in nickel and a brass one on order. I am curious how they compare.

The Replitech handle is quite nice. Heavy and good looking handle. Looks very similar to a Ball End Tech handle.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I guess it's a your caliper may vary situation: "I measured its width (KAI) as 22.15 mm, I believe. I also measured a Feather blade, out of curiosity. I think that it came out to 21.94 mm.". I didn't dig any further though.

Wider edge to edge is what I meant. 0.2mm is .00787". I rounded up to .008".

I found Kai blades very smooth with a lot of 'bare blade' feel much the same as Astra SP and Nacet. They dont cut well for me though and using one in my Grande I needed 4 or 5 ATG passes to match what a Polsilver or Gillette Yellow can do in a single ATG buffing pass.

In Techs and other mild razors I only use Feather blades. The lack of blade exposure they have needs all the help it can get to get me to BBS.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In Techs and other mild razors I only use Feather blades. The lack of blade exposure they have needs all the help it can get to get me to BBS.

The Feather is another excellent blade for Techs.

Also Personna Med Prep and Israeli Platinum Red. Bolzano, too.

The Feather is another excellent blade for Techs.

Also Personna Med Prep and Israeli Platinum Red. Bolzano, too.
Interesting given Bolzano is one of the least sharp blades out there . I no longer believe in sharpness as a primary determining factor in my blade choice .

I used my triangle slot Gillette Tech with the RE replica handle yesterday. First time I have used it in a very long time. Lathered with Williams and used an Astra SP with 5 shaves on it. Managed a DFS suitable for work but it was obvious I needed to change my technique a little. Today I used a fresh Feather and did a full 3 pass shave, wtg, xtg and atg with some buffing. Very smooth and comfortable shave. Almost bbs save for a couple spots on my neck. I will continue with this Tech until mid week then switch to a newer oval slot Tech. I am probably 2 weeks or so away from trying the Baili 131. I will say the Feather worked well in this razor.

I used my triangle slot Gillette Tech with the RE replica handle yesterday. First time I have used it in a very long time. Lathered with Williams and used an Astra SP with 5 shaves on it. Managed a DFS suitable for work but it was obvious I needed to change my technique a little. Today I used a fresh Feather and did a full 3 pass shave, wtg, xtg and atg with some buffing. Very smooth and comfortable shave. Almost bbs save for a couple spots on my neck. I will continue with this Tech until mid week then switch to a newer oval slot Tech. I am probably 2 weeks or so away from trying the Baili 131. I will say the Feather worked well in this razor.
I love my 1932 Canadian Tech as well as flare tip TTO Tech
Could you please post a picture for oval slot baseplate?
What years are these?

My photo skills are poor but here are pics of the triangle slot. The handle on left is the RE replica and the one on the right is the original fat handle. I believe they were made from 39-51.

1102192001a.jpg
1102192001.jpg

Attachments

• 1102192001a.jpg
    1102192001a.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 33

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Outstanding feedback! It will be interesting to see how you find the Tech with oval slots. Is there a date code?

The Pre-war Fat Handle Tech with triangle slots was made (if memory serves) from 1939 to the mid-1940s (hence the 'pre-war' designation).

The Post-war Fat Handle Tech with oval slots was made (again, if memory serves) from 1945/1946 to 1950 or so.

There were no date codes on the Pre and Post war Fat Handle Techs.

I believe (someone please confirm or correct) that the date codes came in somewhere around 1950 or so (?).

I consider the Canadian Tri-slot tech as one of my 'Top Tier' Techs. Great razor and great results.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Top Bottom