What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

Outstanding feedback! It will be interesting to see how you find the Tech with oval slots. Is there a date code?

The Pre-war Fat Handle Tech with triangle slots was made (if memory serves) from 1939 to the mid-1940s (hence the 'pre-war' designation).

The Post-war Fat Handle Tech with oval slots was made (again, if memory serves) from 1945/1946 to 1950 or so.

There were no date codes on the Pre and Post war Fat Handle Techs.

I believe (someone please confirm or correct) that the date codes came in somewhere around 1950 or so (?).

I consider the Canadian Tri-slot tech as one of my 'Top Tier' Techs. Great razor and great results.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
Date codes come in during 1951. Fat handle models in non US versions continue at least until 1956 in some markets (Mr Razor pictures 1953 Canadian and 1956 Argentine models).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Date codes come in during 1951. Fat handle models in non US versions continue at least until 1956 in some markets (Mr Razor pictures 1953 Canadian and 1956 Argentine models).

Thank you, @jmudrick . To confirm: The triangle slots were specific to the pre-war fat handle Techs (Canada and USA)?

Thank you, @jmudrick . To confirm: The triangle slots were specific to the pre-war fat handle Techs (Canada and USA)?
Not quite, there are plastic handle triangle slots, as well as the pictured Contract Tech.

proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here are some side by side pics of the Replitech with my mid-1950s English Number 24:
no24 - replitech side by side5.jpg
no24 - replitech side by side3.jpg
no24 - replitech2.jpg
bottom end to end.jpg
handles1.jpg
no24 - replitech side view.jpg

The Replitech is on the left and is the top handle.

Definitely different geometries.

I'll do a shave-off later this week.

Last edited:
Today I used the Fat Handle Tech I just got from @KeenDogg. It was a great shave, 10/10 BBS. I am super happy to have been able to buy this razor. It is in great condition and I will be so happy to use it to compare the Tech Clones to. I can tell though after that one shave the clones have a way to go to be anywhere near where this Fat Handle is at.

Today I used the Fat Handle Tech I just got from @KeenDogg. It was a great shave, 10/10 BBS. I am super happy to have been able to buy this razor. It is in great condition and I will be so happy to use it to compare the Tech Clones to. I can tell though after that one shave the clones have a way to go to be anywhere near where this Fat Handle is at.
For me the ball end handle is the best shaver of all the techs for what ever reason in my opinion.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It appears the Replitech head was copied from a modern Tech one made of thinner "pot metal". e.g., Rubie, Sterling and Gillette Super Blue.

Global Shave Clubs states that they patterned the Replitech after the mid-1960s Tech. Looks to be the same head as the Baili BR131 and the GSC Sumatra. I'll compare it to the YingJili when I get home.

I know I have some late year Techs. Will have to dig one out and compare.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

Glad you're loving it! Enjoy!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Emphasis added by me.

This is spot on. None of the Clones are in the same ballpark as any of the Pre-war to Post-war to mid-1950s genuine Gillette Techs.

Shaving with my Hybrid Tech (arguably the finest shaving Tech and holds it's own with pretty much anything out there that I have shaved with) after fooling around with the Clones was like night and day. So much more relaxed, precise, effortless, etc. with the Hybrid.

Yes, I still plan on doing the shave off between the Replitech and the mid-1950s Gillette British made Number 24.

Anything for SCIENCE. ;)

Top Bottom