What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

Well today I tried the MR11 handle I have with the Black Tiger head and it was a great combo. I really enjoyed my shave today. It was a 9/10 DFS shave. The extra weight of the handle mean less skipping/chattering that I experienced yesterday with the Black Tiger's original handle. Also, the threads on the MR11 are more plentiful, so I felt like the razor handle was more secure. Tomorrow, the Sumatra.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well today I tried the MR11 handle I have with the Black Tiger head and it was a great combo. I really enjoyed my shave today. It was a 9/10 DFS shave. The extra weight of the handle mean less skipping/chattering that I experienced yesterday with the Black Tiger's original handle. Also, the threads on the MR11 are more plentiful, so I felt like the razor handle was more secure. Tomorrow, the Sumatra.

I also feel that the Black Tiger, MR11 combination works really well together.

I'll be really interested to read about your Sumatra shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I just took a very close look at my wetshavingclub.com razor which I believe to be a teck II and it isn’t exactly the same as the Maggard V3M. It is supper close, but there were three tiny differences.

1) the threaded posts on the top caps are different where they attach. The V3M looks like it is a seamless attachment the wetshavingclub has a slight ring around the post.
View attachment 1029069

2) the teeth on the safety bar seem to be just slightly more rounded off before the two openings where the shaving cream can go through on the wetshavingclub.com base plate.
View attachment 1029070

3) the side of the safety bar where it meets the top cap is slightly shorter on the V3M and a little more slanted towards the top cap.
View attachment 1029071

But in all honesty, these are extremely similar even side by side, but when I shaved they cut very differently and feel very different. I will have to try them side by side at some point, but I have a feeling there are some geometry differences to these two heads. The parts do fit together though so maybe what I am seeing is just a bit of variance from the polishing of the raw material before the platting/final coating was applied. But I still rank the razors as V3M, Black Tiger, wetshavingclub.com in order from mild-aggressive and it is noticeable to me the differences in them. But as always YMMV.

Put on my obnoxiously strong cheaters and examined the Maggard V3M, RR Teck II, RR DE-1 and the 'no name' that looks just like the DE-1.

The only difference I found was the same ring at the base of the cap post on the RR DE-1 as you found on your wetshavingclub clone. That and the DE-1has 'RAZOROCK' engraved on the top of the cap.

To my eyes, with the exception of the DE-1 top cap, the four razor heads I examined are the same.

From your description, the wetshavingclub razor has the (slight) deviations from the rest?

Most interesting.

Same (head) as the Baili BR171

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have both Baili 171 and an “updated” 176.

176 is in a completely different league. Much milder and an excellent shaver if you like mild razors. 171 if I recall was somewhat rough, although I haven‘t used one in months.

Added: now that I think about this, I seem to remember that Baili changed razor head designs without changing the number in description. So the same 171 razor could be the older head (more aggressive, exposed blade tabs) or the same as 176 (much milder, covered blade tabs). To add to confusion, they are using different letters in front of the number depending on how it’s packaged. That’s likely why they eventually renamed the “upgraded“ 171 to 176.

Hmm... I probably should find my 171 and try it again, I’ve come to like more aggressive razors lately.

Last edited:
Put on my obnoxiously strong cheaters and examined the Maggard V3M, RR Teck II, RR DE-1 and the 'no name' that looks just like the DE-1.

The only difference I found was the same ring at the base of the cap post on the RR DE-1 as you found on your wetshavingclub clone. That and the DE-1has 'RAZOROCK' engraved on the top of the cap.

To my eyes, with the exception of the DE-1 top cap, the four razor heads I examined are the same.

From your description, the wetshavingclub razor has the (slight) deviations from the rest?

Most interesting.
I don't have a DE-1 yet, so not sure how it compares, but it does have slight deviations from the V3M. Super close, but it is the shave feel that really gets me. I will be interested in seeing how the Sumatra compares to the Black Tiger. I will know more in the next two shaves.

I have both Baili 171 and an “updated” 176.

176 is in a completely different league. Much milder and an excellent shaver if you like mild razors. 171 if I recall was somewhat rough, although I haven‘t used one in months.

Added: now that I think about this, I seem to remember that Baili changed razor head designs without changing the number in description. So the same 171 razor could be the older head (more aggressive, exposed blade tabs) or the same as 176 (much milder, covered blade tabs). To add to confusion, they are using different letters in front of the number depending on how it’s packaged. That’s likely why they eventually renamed the “upgraded“ 171 to 176.

Hmm... I probably should find my 171 and try it again, I’ve come to like more aggressive razors lately.
You sure it's a br171 not 131 (see my post about confusing numbers)?. I'm looking at eBay and Groomatoriuim listings for BR171 and it's same upgrade head as BD176 which someone else here confirmed. I agree the upgrade head is superior whatever numbers they give them.

You sure it's a br171 not 131 (see my post about confusing numbers)?. I'm looking at eBay and Groomatoriuim listings for BR171 and it's same upgrade head as BD176 which someone else here confirmed. I agree the upgrade head is superior whatever numbers they give them.

Yes, the “victory shaver” branded razor.

I’ve checked my Amazon orders and the older style razor was BT171. The newer style was BD176 but the same one was being sold as B-something 171. 176 is the same one as the upgraded 171, it seems like Baili had changed the numbers mid-production, perhaps because of all the confusion.

I actually have a free second BT171 (old style) because I ordered what I thought was an upgraded one on Aliexpress as a gift for my FIL, and instead got the old style one. The seller argued that he shipped the exact part number that I ordered, luckily I had the screenshot of his listing that clearly showed the new style razor. So the numeric part (171) can mean two different designs.

Yes, the “victory shaver” branded razor.

I’ve checked my Amazon orders and the older style razor was BT171. The newer style was BD176 but the same one was being sold as B-something 171. 176 is the same one as the upgraded 171, it seems like Baili had changed the numbers mid-production, perhaps because of all the confusion.

I actually have a free second BT171 (old style) because I ordered what I thought was an upgraded one on Aliexpress as a gift for my FIL, and instead got the old style one. The seller argued that he shipped the exact part number that I ordered, luckily I had the screenshot of his listing that clearly showed the new style razor. So the numeric part (171) can mean two different designs.
How about we just forget the model numbers? For reasons you make clear. And colors , cases , and handle designs.

Non upgrade head/upgrade head.
proxy.php

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I seem to recall when the Tek II came out it was reported to be made by Bali. Not sure if that is truth or speculation. Got my first Tek II as a free add on to an IB order. I have since bought several more for $5 to $8 and gave them to new de shavers. It's a good razor. I've also given away many real Techs and never had a complaint. Out of the vintage US models i prefer the late 40s model. But the British flat bottoms and the hybrid tech rule them all. This is a cool thread and I've enjoyed following it.

How about we just forget the numbers? And colors , cases , and handle designs.

Non upgrade head/upgrade head.
proxy.php

Actually, the handles are important if you want to make sure you’re ordering the correct razor . The sculpted handle - to the best of my knowledge - only came with the “upgraded“ 171 aka 176.

The one on the right, the upgraded one, used to be my favorite razor but feels too mild now.

The older one on the left seemed harsher but I should try it now, I may actually like it more.

I seem to recall when the Tek II came out it was reported to be made by Bali. Not sure if that is truth or speculation. Got my first Tek II as a free add on to an IB order. I have since bought several more for $5 to $8 and gave them to new de shavers. It's a good razor. I've also given away many real Techs and never had a complaint. Out of the vintage US models i prefer the late 40s model. But the British flat bottoms and the hybrid tech rule them all. This is a cool thread and I've enjoyed following it.

I’m a fan of Baili, yet to see one razor from them that was poorly made. And I own four and handled a couple more. They make cheap razors but well made cheap razors.

Thanks for the explanation
The one on the right looks like BD176 on Amazon but looks like the one on the left is also still available as BT171 with the case

If you want the new “upgraded” mild shaver, order 176.

If you want the older design and aren‘t sure which 171 to get, ask the seller if the razor covers blade tabs. Covered = new.

Thanks for the explanation
The one on the right looks like BD176 on Amazon but looks like the one on the left is also still available as BT171 with the case
Yes Baili's official store still lists razors with both heads, lots of colors, accessories, all with different model numbers. I'm gonna put my fingers in my ears if people are gonna talk model numbers just get the upgrade head.

Top Bottom