What's new

The SCORE! Post your acquisitions here

About 6 years ago, I had to sell almost all of my firearms to pay some medical bills for my daughter. I only kept a couple of ARs, a shotgun, and a couple pistols (just necessities). One night while on a big AR gun site, I followed a link to this one. From here I discovered wet shaving which led me to fall into a deep rabbit hole. I was looking for a cheaper hobby so I guess it worked out. Due to a sudden case of RAD, BAD, SAD and whatever else I had, I actually forgot about this sub forum. 6 years later, I scrolled down and rediscovered it.

The reason I'm here now is I have a few acquisitions I would like to share, but first a little more back story.

Almost 2 years ago I was in a local pawn shop and found a Franken AR that had some pretty good parts on it and it was really cheap so I brought it. Unfortunately, this caused my BRD (black rifle disorder) to Flare up again. The fortunate part about this story is it was at a good time. Since then, I have purchased complete or built about 10 ARs and a few extra uppers. All before the sky fell in. :001_cool:

First I would like to share a fun 9mm build that I have wanted to do for about 20 years now. I was spawned by a suppressor I had bought to use on my CobRay m11/9 and on an UZI SBR. My thoughts were to build a short barrel 9mm AR but pistols weren't really a thing yet and I didn't want to SBR it at the time not to mention lack of parts, so it was put on the back burner.

While in Tulsa about a year ago visiting my parents, I stopped by a gun shop and bought a CMMG MK9 9mm (Colt) stripped lower and the build was on again. I ordered a 9mm bolt and 5" barrel from Faxon. I already had a CMMG lpk and a BCM upper receiver. I picked up a used 15" Yankee Hill rail and a 9mm buffer at a gun show, $30 for both. Put it all together and it turned out exactly the way I had pictured it 20 years ago. Now for the pictures.

2021-06-16 12.02.48.jpg

2021-06-16 12.03.11.jpg

2021-06-16 12.03.32.jpg

2021-06-16 12.27.10.jpg
2021-06-16 12.06.19.jpg
2021-06-16 12.24.17.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nice looking AR pistol @Mlee. I noticed it says Faxon on the carrier? Is the entire BCG Faxon? I like the slight design difference on the gas carrier, looks beefed up. And it’s definitely staked properly.

Nice finish too. What is the barrel length?

Thanks @OkieStubble. Yes, that is the complete Faxon bolt carrier group, it's beefier and about 5 oz heavier than a 5.56 BCG. The 9mm uses a blow back system unlike the 5.56 Direct Impingement system where the bolt turns and locks into the barrel extension. The barrel is also a Faxon and it's 5 inches. I chose 5" because you really don't gain much from a longer 9mm barrel and the suppressor is 12" so if we ever lose the pistol brace, I can tack weld the barrel to the suppressor and still be legal. These are the first Faxon parts I've ever bought but they seem to be good quality.

OkieStubble

Thanks @OkieStubble. Yes, that is the complete Faxon bolt carrier group, it's beefier and about 5 oz heavier than a 5.56 BCG. The 9mm uses a blow back system unlike the 5.56 Direct Impingement system where the bolt turns and locks into the barrel extension. The barrel is also a Faxon and it's 5 inches. I chose 5" because you really don't gain much from a longer 9mm barrel and the suppressor is 12" so if we ever lose the pistol brace, I can tack weld the barrel to the suppressor and still be legal. These are the first Faxon parts I've ever bought but they seem to be good quality.

I have read a bit about Faxon over at arfcom. I don't have any personal experience with Faxon, but I have read some good stuff from those who have. Of course, there are always some who say, if it ain't BCM it ain't good enough, but I take stuff like that with a grain of salt. It's arfcom... :)

OkieStubble

I was holding one of these blowbacks in 9mm just yesterday. Felt and looked really good. Uses Beretta 92FS magazines. Youtube vids shows it has some malfuntioning issues, because the bolt is freakin' huge and anything short of NATO hotness has trouble blowing that huge bolt... back. :)

I have read a bit about Faxon over at arfcom. I don't have any personal experience with Faxon, but I have read some good stuff from those who have. Of course, there are always some who say, if it ain't BCM it ain't good enough, but I take stuff like that with a grain of salt. It's arfcom... :)

Lol. Most of those guys over there have an opinion and they don't mind sharing. I don't spend as much time there as I used to but every now and then I get wrapped up in a which is better thread. I like to see how long it goes before they lock it.

I was holding one of these blowbacks in 9mm just yesterday. Felt and looked really good. Uses Beretta 92FS magazines. Youtube vids shows it has some malfuntioning issues, because the bolt is freakin' huge and anything short of NATO hotness has trouble blowing that huge bolt... back. :)

I'm not going to pretend that I know a how it all works but on the AR, the combination weight of the BCG and the Buffer is pretty critical. My first trip to the range didn't go real well, adding some weight to my buffer bringing it up to 7.5 oz it ran 100%. The ideal combination weight is about 21 oz.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Stopped at the LGS and they had some goodies. Grabbed a box of .270 core-lokt for my boos and a box of CCI sub sonic HP and Quiet 22 for me! The quiet 22 is ridiculous! I though I had a quiet 22. I was wrong!
D7835430-B7E0-456E-955F-7A12E1DCC3B5.jpeg

Picked up this TX22 a couple of Fridays ago. We put 400 rounds of the cheapest bulk ammo through it that I could dig out. I did not clean it before hand, just straight out of the box.
To my surprise, not one malfunction of any kind. I fully expected at least a few fail to feed or fail to ejects.

20210629_130302.jpg

20210629_130612.jpg

nikonNUT

Picked up this TX22 a couple of Fridays ago. We put 400 rounds of the cheapest bulk ammo through it that I could dig out. I did not clean it before hand, just straight out of the box.
To my surprise, not one malfunction of any kind. I fully expected at least a few fail to feed or fail to ejects.

View attachment 1289233
View attachment 1289234
Congrats! They are awesome little pistols!

nikonNUT

Now to find some 16 round mags, after a perfunctory search it looks like unicorn tears are easier to get.
I can check the place I got my speakers for you. I think they were $16.95 each. At the worst I could probably spare one of the unfired ones if you want it…

P.S. Sent you a PM!

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Whelp... Here I go again! Traded an AR and 200 bucks for a NIB Bergara B14R carbon barreled trainer. I have an EGW 20MOA rail, Vortex PMR rings, and a B&T Industries pic rail adapter ordered. Going to rob the 4.5-30x56 Athlon Area ETR off the .338 for now. Might replace it, might not. The older I get the more recoil averse I become... :lol:

Begara.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Whelp... Here I go again! Traded an AR and 200 bucks for a NIB Bergara B14R carbon barreled trainer. I have an EGW 20MOA rail, Vortex PMR rings, and a B&T Industries pic rail adapter ordered. Going to rob the 4.5-30x56 Athlon Area ETR off the .338 for now. Might replace it, might not. The older I get the more recoil averse I become... :lol:

What caliber? Never mind, I see now it is a .22LR in the other thread.

Top Bottom