What's new

Meerschaum March 2024!!!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
IMG_4006.jpeg

Neglected to mention in my POTD post, the other part of my experiment is using a coloring bowl for the first time, to see if it makes a difference. They always seemed very unwieldy to me, and to be honest a bit unnecessary, but enough pipers whose opinions I respect claim they really work. So, I got the least obtrusive one I could find, but the tradeoff is that the bowl is naturally quite small. We'll see how this goes...

20240303_182636.jpg

I am waiting to show off what I have in store for March when we have the zoom meet. It’s quite special and means a lot to me and it will be the first time I’m going to use it. I was my father’s and he gave it to me before he passed so I am a bit nervous to use it but can’t think of a better way to share it with everyone. I will post pictures after the meeting.

Larry

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Neglected to mention in my POTD post, the other part of my experiment is using a coloring bowl for the first time, to see if it makes a difference. They always seemed very unwieldy to me, and to be honest a bit unnecessary, but enough pipers whose opinions I respect claim they really work. So, I got the least obtrusive one I could find, but the tradeoff is that the bowl is naturally quite small. We'll see how this goes...

View attachment 1806331
My understanding is that the process with a coloring bowl is somewhat slower, but produces a much better distribution/even coloring.

View attachment 1806331

I've been working on this Altinay for two years now. Tobacco has never touched her pristine bowl, only that filthy coloring bowl. That thing feels like it adds 12" of height to the pipe, yet it only holds a thimble full of tobacco. Worst idea ever, but I'm no quitter.

20240303_183452.jpg

My understanding is that the process with a coloring bowl is somewhat slower, but produces a much better distribution/even coloring.

I can see that as being the case, but I'm not sure I have the patience for it.

I've been working on this Altinay for two years now. Tobacco has never touched her pristine bowl, only that filthy coloring bowl. That thing feels like it adds 12" of height to the pipe, yet it only holds a thimble full of tobacco. Worst idea ever, but I'm no quitter.

Yeah, this bowl holds a ludicrously small amount of tobacco. I'm going to try to stick with it through this month - for science - but I am fairly certain that will be the end of the experiment.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
IMG_20240304_151505854.jpg

I've got my eye on another one at a gift shop up the road. She's cleaning out somebody's house, and has an unsmoked meerschaum with a deer motif. I didn't see a maker. She was looking on eBay to see what they go for, and was shocked at how expensive they are. She said she was going to ask $80. If she still has it on Friday, I'm grabbing it.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I've got my eye on another one at a gift shop up the road. She's cleaning out somebody's house, and has an unsmoked meerschaum with a deer motif. I didn't see a maker. She was looking on eBay to see what they go for, and was shocked at how expensive they are. She said she was going to ask $80. If she still has it on Friday, I'm grabbing it.
I did get this picture of it from her site.

1709595851727.jpg

Utterly amazing, how people carve these pipes so beautifully.

Today I'm smoking some Stirling Flake mixed with Match Carter Hall in the Cavalier-themed meer Phil PIF'd me in December. I was going to share a pic, but it's easier for me to submit a pic while at work, and I'm not going in today. (Long story involving two flat tires yesterday, and I need to take a break anyhow.)

By the way, I tried loading the pipe using the Peterson Method. Not sure it works on non-System pipes, or maybe just not on this one.

The full collection of Meers, with the exception of a Mahogany Calabash that doesn't travel for the winter. You will see these throughout MMM. The two figural pipes were given me by @luvmysuper, for which I'm most grateful. The small Lattice Prince or Apple came to me in a lot I purchased from a colleague of mine five years ago or so. The pipe was previously owned by an old Episcopal priest friend of my colleague's. It is a no name and has seen a lot of action over the years. It still smokes just fine. The Falcon is self explanatory. The large pipe on the bottom right is one I carved from a kit my wife gave me around 45 years ago. It is named Jordan, after my son's late dog who, according to my son, tried to smoke it. Thus the replacement stem and tooth marks on the body of the pipe. The other three you've seen before and are my go to Meers. I don't relegate my meers to March alone, but smoke them throughout the year. I like the way they smoke!
20240305MEERS.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The full collection of Meers, with the exception of a Mahogany Calabash that doesn't travel for the winter. You will see these throughout MMM. The two figural pipes were given me by @luvmysuper, for which I'm most grateful. The small Lattice Prince or Apple came to me in a lot I purchased from a colleague of mine five years ago or so. The pipe was previously owned by an old Episcopal priest friend of my colleague's. It is a no name and has seen a lot of action over the years. It still smokes just fine. The Falcon is self explanatory. The large pipe on the bottom right is one I carved from a kit my wife gave me around 45 years ago. It is named Jordan, after my son's late dog who, according to my son, tried to smoke it. Thus the replacement stem and tooth marks on the body of the pipe. The other three you've seen before and are my go to Meers. I don't relegate my meers to March alone, but smoke them throughout the year. I like the way they smoke!
View attachment 1807209

For a split second, I thought that was your evening POTD formation!

I have to admit, I'm not much of a fan for the intricate carvings of peoples faces or animals or flowers...to me those are amazing to look at but to smoke one I'd be too afraid to break it.....the type of Meer's I have a soft spot for are the intricate lattice type carvings or totally smooth ones, those are the ones that are smokeable to me.

Larry

Top Bottom