What's new

The SCORE! Post your acquisitions here

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Been changing up some stuff on some of my guns. Changed up the shotgun furniture from this:

thumbnail.jpg

To this: And added a light.

thumbnail (1).jpg

OkieStubble

I also added some back up iron sights to the new LWRC along with an Inforce weapon mounted light:

thumbnail (2).jpg

I researched quite a few popular brands of Iron BUIS, and decided on Magpul Pro irons. They are slim, low profile and the back frame portions of both the rear and front Buis, have been skeletonized to reduce weight. They actually only come in at an ounce heavier from their popular polymer sights compared to say; Troy iron battle sights which were 3 to 4 ounces heavier. The price was right too. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I then took off all the mods I had done to my Colt LE6920, free float midlength, Odin gas block and put it back to it's original carbine setup with A2 front sight/gas block and Magpul slimline furniture.

So, had went to this:

IMG_0843.jpg

But the wife who shoots it now, didn't like the long forearm and the fact it didn't have a heat shield. She prefers the compactness of the carbine, so back it went. And I can tell ya, taking the front A2 off and making it a free float, is a hell of alot easier then putting that damn thing back on!

But alot of frustration along with a little bit of cussing and prayer and it's back to what it originally was: Along with a new Scout Mount for a new light.

thumbnail (3).jpg

Oh yeah, she didn't like the weight of the rifle with an Eotech XPS-2 and 3X Magnifier, so they got sold. :) I need to get her a lightweight red dot of some kind.

I also added some back up iron sights to the new LWRC along with an Inforce weapon mounted light:

View attachment 1160707

I researched quite a few popular brands of Iron BUIS, and decided on Magpul Pro irons. They are slim, low profile and the back frame prtions of both the rear and front Buis, have been skeletonized to reduce weight. They actually on come in at an ounce heavier from their popular polymer sights compared to say Troy iron battle sights which were 3 to 40 ounces heavier. The price was right too. :)

I’ve been looking at MAGPULs for a long time to replace my plastic MAGPULs. My front sight is on a gas block. I guess I’ve been waiting for them to melt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

I’ve been looking at MAGPULs for a long time to replace my plastic MAGPULs. My front sight is on a gas block. I guess I’ve been waiting for them to melt.

The polymer Magpuls will take alot of heat, if your not doing mag dumps on a free float rail with no heat shield. If I was going to have just a single red dot, then I might would have gotten something a bit more tank like and expensive in quality, because the weight would be more acceptable, especially if the single red dot went down and the BUIS might get used.

However, i plan on put a 1-6X tactical scope plus a small red dot which will be canted on a 45 degree mount. If the scope goes down, I can just cant the rifle over to the red dot as backup. Since it's highly unlikely for both of those to fail at the same time, I chose the very small profile and lightweight of the Magpul Pro's, because I do still need Irons but am looking to keep the weight down in every place I can.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I can tell ya, it's hard to find a pair of quality name brand iron sights for under $200. I got the rear for $100 and the front for $80.

The polymer Magpuls will take alot of heat, if your not doing mag dumps on a free float rail with no heat shield. If I was going to have just a single red dot, then I might would have gotten something a bit more tank like and expensive in quality, because the weight would be more acceptable, especially if the single red dot went down and the BUIS might get used.

However, i plan on put a 1-6X tactical scope plus a small red dot which will be canted on a 45 degree mount. If the scope goes down, I can just cant the rifle over to the red dot as backup. Since it's highly unlikely for both of those to fail at the same time, I chose the very small profile and lightweight of the Magpul Pro's, because I do still need Irons but am looking to keep the weight down in every place I can.

I was thinking the Pros were metal. My only wish is for tritium to help my sorry old eyes find the sight picture even in daylight. Those get expensive.

OkieStubble

I was thinking the Pros were metal. My only wish is for tritium to help my sorry old eyes find the sight picture even in daylight. Those get expensive.

The Pro's are metal. I'll take a weapon mounted light over tritium for trying to see the sights better at night. I don't have a clue what would make them easier to see in the daytime except for sun light. No substitute better than sunlight. :)

The Pro's are metal. I'll take a weapon mounted light over tritium for trying to see the sights better at night. I don't have a clue what would make them easier to see in the daytime except for sun light. No substitute better than sunlight. :)

With progressive lenses, the sights are blurry, even in sunny 16 lighting. Four tritium hashes, each one at the vertical and horizontal end points of the front sight , might draw my eyes to the center even when blurry.

Hm, I got the Meprolite tritium front sight blade for the SP101, but now it looks like usps has lost the 1/16" roll pin punch...

AA

I had an SRO baseplate out for delivery on a Saturday then rescheduled. Sunday morning it showed up as delivered to a PO Box. I don’t have a PO Box. It came Monday.

I really really dislike USPS tracking.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Don’t know if it’s your first SP101 Mepro, but you’re going to like it ... threw one on my 2-1/4” seven years ago it still glows like a firefly.

Great to hear, thanks! It is.

Saw a YouTube video. Knock out OEM, slide new one in, clamp and drill from both sides. Then loctite, whichever is permanent, I forget. Red?

But I was actually going to loctite, then drill through it, because if I drill it crooked, I'll lose my mind. Seems like I can be happy with a perfect 90-degree angle, glued, then drill and replace roll pin. What do you (all) think?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Also, just back from local flea market. Usually just junk, but one old dude had some reloading gear. Got Lyman 30-30 two die set, and RCBS 30-150-FN mold, $15 each. Mold has handles and he threw in a big jar of copper gaschecks. That mold is $85-90, they still make it. Dies are $50 on the bay.

Lever action chow, coming up!

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Saw a YouTube video. Knock out OEM, slide new one in, clamp and drill from both sides. Then loctite, whichever is permanent, I forget. Red?

But I was actually going to loctite, then drill through it, because if I drill it crooked, I'll lose my mind. Seems like I can be happy with a perfect 90-degree angle, glued, then drill and replace roll pin. What do you (all) think?
AA

SORRY! I completely forgot about the Mepro needing to be drilled through before I posted the steps below ... as memory serves, I pricked the positioned Mepro with a drill bit, removed it & then drilled through the sight blade.

Watch the video below, but include the following steps into the process:
1) Tap the pin until it just clears the
factory blade, then STOP tapping!!
Remove factory blade & clean barrel
channel.

2) Apply a drop of Red Loc-tite (or Super
Glue) into the barrel channel.

3) Insert/align Mepro in place & gently
tap protruding pin until it starts into
the Mepro.

4) Insert the back end of a drill bit or RP
punch into the opposite side of the
barrel & Mepro if you deem that it
needs to be tweaked (90-degrees). If it
does, use the bit/punch to nudge the
blade.

5) Leave the bit/punch inserted, apply
slight pressure on the aforementioned,
and allow the roll pin, which you are
now gently tapping, to push the
bit/punch out.

6) Now use the roll pin punch to flush the
roll pin to the barrel.

7) Have a rag/solvent ready to clean up
any Loc-tite/S. Glue which may weep
out.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well! I'm am floored by what I found today. Went to Wal-Mart (Ewwwww!) to look for a .22 rifle host aka host #2 and got skunked. Looked to see if there was a snowballs chance that they might have some .22 ammo and scanned the spot it is supposed to be in. Nothing!!! Then... I looked down and heard angels singing. There sat two! Yes, two Remington 22 Golden Bullet Bucket O' Bullets (1400 rounds a bucket)! Asked the bored looking fella behind the counter if I could have one and he said "You can have 'em both." Thank you, sir! They he says "Hold on a sec" and pulled (7) 50 round boxes of Federal Champion out from under the counter and told me that he had found them down there, didn't know what they were doing there, and hadn't put them out yet. I asked what the limit was on them he told me "Today? Seven cause that's all I have" Thank you again sir! Walked out, well ran 'cause I didn't want to get murdered, with 3150 rounds for less than $0.05/round. Moral of the story? Suck it up and go to Wal-Mart and look down! And chat the guy up while you're at it. You might be rewarded...
.22LR.jpg

And to think I was ready to pull the trigger on a brick of Geco for $69.99 + 19.95 S&H.

OkieStubble

Well! I'm am floored by what I found today. Went to Wal-Mart (Ewwwww!) to look for a .22 rifle host aka host #2 and got skunked. Looked to see if there was a snowballs chance that they might have some .22 ammo and scanned the spot it is supposed to be in. Nothing!!! Then... I looked down and heard angels singing. There sat two! Yes, two Remington 22 Golden Bullet Bucket O' Bullets (1400 rounds a bucket)! Asked the bored looking fella behind the counter if I could have one and he said "You can have 'em both." Thank you, sir! They he says "Hold on a sec" and pulled (7) 50 round boxes of Federal Champion out from under the counter and told me that he had found them down there, didn't know what they were doing there, and hadn't put them out yet. I asked what the limit was on them he told me "Today? Seven cause that's all I have" Thank you again sir! Walked out, well ran 'cause I didn't want to get murdered, with 3150 rounds for less than $0.05/round. Moral of the story? Suck it up and go to Wal-Mart and look down! And chat the guy up while you're at it. You might be rewarded...
View attachment 1160987
And to think I was ready to pull the trigger on a brick of Geco for $69.99 + 19.95 S&H.

I hate you. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
SORRY! I completely forgot about the Mepro needing to be drilled through before I posted the steps below ... as memory serves, I pricked the positioned Mepro with a drill bit, removed it & then drilled through the sight blade.

Watch the video below, but include the following steps into the process:
1) Tap the pin until it just clears the
factory blade, then STOP tapping!!
Remove factory blade & clean barrel
channel.

2) Apply a drop of Red Loc-tite (or Super
Glue) into the barrel channel.

3) Insert/align Mepro in place & gently
tap protruding pin until it starts into
the Mepro.

4) Insert the back end of a drill bit or RP
punch into the opposite side of the
barrel & Mepro if you deem that it
needs to be tweaked (90-degrees). If it
does, use the bit/punch to nudge the
blade.

5) Leave the bit/punch inserted, apply
slight pressure on the aforementioned,
and allow the roll pin, which you are
now gently tapping, to push the
bit/punch out.

6) Now use the roll pin punch to flush the
roll pin to the barrel.

7) Have a rag/solvent ready to clean up
any Loc-tite/S. Glue which may weep
out.

I will follow this to the letter; many thanks!

I'm a kitchen table gunsmith.... Not a Bubba... And believe I can do anything, which is dangerous! :lol:

AA

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I hate you. :)
I hate me to, Rob! If ya make it to Hot Springs you can help me burn thru it!!!

P.S. @OkieStubble if you are so inclined I have a Vortex Sparc AR that your lovely bride can test drive for as long as she likes... I'm not using it. Kinda enamored with my Sig Romeo 8 and I think I like the Springer Saint Victor with plain ol' BUIS anyways. Let me know and I can get it headed your way!

Last edited:
Top Bottom