What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

How does one use this discount? I've seen a code from back in February, but is it still valid?
I don't know. That's when I got mine, it has been my daily razor ever since, and each day it becomes less likely I'll ever use anything else, except for the 2C I got for travel use and the occasional experiment (see, e.g., "Looking for a Few Good Men..... The $1 Razor Challenge!" an experiment that @GlazedBoker somehow convinced a number of us to participate in).

rockwell shave 5 plate 5.jpg

The Bitter Comes Out Better on a Stolen Guitar

One of the things I love most about Badger and Blade is the generous exchange of ideas, viewpoints, experiences, recommendations, and in this case, actual hardware. It’s hard to articulate how different my adoption and education around wet-shaving would be without the encouragement, information, opinions and generous nature fostered by this community. I will again tip my hat long and high in deep appreciation and thanks to @GlazedBoker for allowing us each a moment with his razor so that we can collectively share our experiences with each other. I thank you Sir for your trust and generosity, and I hope to be able to return the favor in some way.

Shave #5

Plate: R5
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2nd shave)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Badger
Soap: Proraso Red Shaving Soap in a Jar
Pre: Hot Shower, soak brush, dollop of soap in the bowl for blooming
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel – Cucumber, Sandalwood EE

The Shave: As we can gather from a few posts above, I am verging on making a personal commitment to the Fixed Four (F4) approach since many folks here attest to the myriad benefits of doing so. Based upon yesterday’s shave, that would require Proraso Red Soap, Yaqi 24mm Badger brush, Gilette Nacet blade, and OFC, the Rockwell 6S. Full disclosure related to F4; I had an Eve-in-Eden moment preparing for this shave when grabbing the Proraso. Just under it in my medicine cabinet was a little tub of Obsessive Soap Perfectionist Fougere Shave Cream that I got from a fellow B&B member in the BST forum. I pulled it out, opened it up, smelled its delightful forest-like aroma, touched it, and thought “I’ll start the Fixed Four tomorrow”, and then glanced at the Proraso guiltily; like a cheating lover. Luckily, the blinding infatuation faded quickly, and I capped the OSP, and pulled out the Proraso. There is an endless stream of tomorrows, so commit Today.

With the RockWell set up with the Nacet in between the head and Plate #5, a bowl of fluffy Proraso, and a loaded brush, I set out on this final shave (for now) with the Rockwell. It seems to me the difference between plates 4 and 5 isn’t subtle. To me, plate 5 felt notably more aggressive, but not irritatingly so. I’d venture to say, it felt like a bigger jump than I recall between plates 3 and 4. I’m sure we can use mathematics to calculate the actual difference in blade angles between the plates, and easily prove or disprove my notions, but where’s the fun in that during this era of alt-facts? Regardless of any reality revealed by actual numbers, it felt like a steeper jump to me. And, this is good.

Plate 5 got close, really close. I did my usual WTG, XTG, ATG, with a clean-up. I could have almost stopped after the second pass. It felt as smooth as my face felt after the third pass with plate 3. I wanted to see where the ATG pass would take me. ATG is my favorite pass-approach. Probably because I normally see the biggest change in smoothness after that ATG pass. And, oh my, this Plate 5 really delivered on that ATG pass. Wow, smooth. I rarely finish a shave and say that its BBS or SST or DVD or FTD, or whatevs, but this was as close to the coveted ‘butt-smooth’ that I’ve gotten only a handful of times before. I will admit this inconsistent acquisition of absolutely gloriously close shaves, can be attributed to, in no small part, my imperfect technique. Hence my drive to do a F4. (Up until I am in-hand and then again after the @Rory1262 Natural Irish Pass-Around). I was delighted with the closeness this plate provided, but there was no mistake that three passes and a clean-up was all that my skin had to give. The post-shave alum tingled only slightly. For me, that’s an indicator of being on the verge of irritation.

When I compare this plate to 6 which I used 5 days earlier, I think I may have had a just slightly easier time with plate 6. Probably because it was used after 3 days of growth, where for the past 5 days, I have been shaving with quite a bit of regularity, and increasing the razor’s aggression factor with each shave. Theoretically, my skin on Sunday was more accepting of the most aggressive plate because it was ‘well-rested’ if that makes sense. That said, my face isn’t irritated at all currently, and still feels very smooth.

Final Thoughts: I don’t know that I can provide any new or unique accolades that haven’t already been stated about this razor. I thoroughly enjoyed using it. For me, I think before I run out and buy one, I will commit to an F4 to hone my skills, then go shopping….

As a daily driver, I imagine myself assessing the current state of beard growth, skin feeling (irritated from something like sunburn, previous shave, summer heat, etc.) and decide on a plate each time I shave. That is a huge draw for this razor. I haven’t done the mid-shave-plate-switch thing, which others have tried. As @dezmil has said, it’s not something I picture myself doing with any regularity. I like all of the ‘un-adjustable’ aspects of the RockWell, like its weight, handle knurling, fit and finish etc. The versatility provided by the multiple plates really affords a world of possibilities. I am really having a difficult time trying to come up with something to complain about. I guess I could complain about not being able to shave with it another 30 times.. LOL. So there it is.

This morning I cleaned the razor with hot soapy water and a toothbrush, sterilized it with rubbing alcohol, finished with a hot water rinse, dried it, boxed it up with a tuck of 5 Gillette Nacet blades, wrapped it in bubble wrap, and put it in a bubble-wrap envelope with address labels for @dmshaver affixed. I went to the Post Office this morning and insured it for $100, and shipped it Priority Mail. ETA Monday 05/14. PM’d the Tracking Info to @dmshaver.

I look forward to continuing to see what others think of this razor, and once again, thank you @GlazedBoker for the experience.

View attachment 882662

One of the things I love most about Badger and Blade is the generous exchange of ideas, viewpoints, experiences, recommendations, and in this case, actual hardware. It’s hard to articulate how different my adoption and education around wet-shaving would be without the encouragement, information, opinions and generous nature fostered by this community. I will again tip my hat long and high in deep appreciation and thanks to @GlazedBoker for allowing us each a moment with his razor so that we can collectively share our experiences with each other. I thank you Sir for your trust and generosity, and I hope to be able to return the favor in some way.

Shave #5

The Shave: As we can gather from a few posts above, I am verging on making a personal commitment to the Fixed Four (F4) approach since many folks here attest to the myriad benefits of doing so. Based upon yesterday’s shave, that would require Proraso Red Soap, Yaqi 24mm Badger brush, Gilette Nacet blade, and OFC, the Rockwell 6S. Full disclosure related to F4; I had an Eve-in-Eden moment preparing for this shave when grabbing the Proraso. Just under it in my medicine cabinet was a little tub of Obsessive Soap Perfectionist Fougere Shave Cream that I got from a fellow B&B member in the BST forum. I pulled it out, opened it up, smelled its delightful forest-like aroma, touched it, and thought “I’ll start the Fixed Four tomorrow”, and then glanced at the Proraso guiltily; like a cheating lover. Luckily, the blinding infatuation faded quickly, and I capped the OSP, and pulled out the Proraso. There is an endless stream of tomorrows, so commit Today.

With the RockWell set up with the Nacet in between the head and Plate #5, a bowl of fluffy Proraso, and a loaded brush, I set out on this final shave (for now) with the Rockwell. It seems to me the difference between plates 4 and 5 isn’t subtle. To me, plate 5 felt notably more aggressive, but not irritatingly so. I’d venture to say, it felt like a bigger jump than I recall between plates 3 and 4. I’m sure we can use mathematics to calculate the actual difference in blade angles between the plates, and easily prove or disprove my notions, but where’s the fun in that during this era of alt-facts? Regardless of any reality revealed by actual numbers, it felt like a steeper jump to me. And, this is good.

Plate 5 got close, really close. I did my usual WTG, XTG, ATG, with a clean-up. I could have almost stopped after the second pass. It felt as smooth as my face felt after the third pass with plate 3. I wanted to see where the ATG pass would take me. ATG is my favorite pass-approach. Probably because I normally see the biggest change in smoothness after that ATG pass. And, oh my, this Plate 5 really delivered on that ATG pass. Wow, smooth. I rarely finish a shave and say that its BBS or SST or DVD or FTD, or whatevs, but this was as close to the coveted ‘butt-smooth’ that I’ve gotten only a handful of times before. I will admit this inconsistent acquisition of absolutely gloriously close shaves, can be attributed to, in no small part, my imperfect technique. Hence my drive to do a F4. (Up until I am in-hand and then again after the @Rory1262 Natural Irish Pass-Around). I was delighted with the closeness this plate provided, but there was no mistake that three passes and a clean-up was all that my skin had to give. The post-shave alum tingled only slightly. For me, that’s an indicator of being on the verge of irritation.

When I compare this plate to 6 which I used 5 days earlier, I think I may have had a just slightly easier time with plate 6. Probably because it was used after 3 days of growth, where for the past 5 days, I have been shaving with quite a bit of regularity, and increasing the razor’s aggression factor with each shave. Theoretically, my skin on Sunday was more accepting of the most aggressive plate because it was ‘well-rested’ if that makes sense. That said, my face isn’t irritated at all currently, and still feels very smooth.

Final Thoughts: I don’t know that I can provide any new or unique accolades that haven’t already been stated about this razor. I thoroughly enjoyed using it. For me, I think before I run out and buy one, I will commit to an F4 to hone my skills, then go shopping….

As a daily driver, I imagine myself assessing the current state of beard growth, skin feeling (irritated from something like sunburn, previous shave, summer heat, etc.) and decide on a plate each time I shave. That is a huge draw for this razor. I haven’t done the mid-shave-plate-switch thing, which others have tried. As @dezmil has said, it’s not something I picture myself doing with any regularity. I like all of the ‘un-adjustable’ aspects of the RockWell, like its weight, handle knurling, fit and finish etc. The versatility provided by the multiple plates really affords a world of possibilities. I am really having a difficult time trying to come up with something to complain about. I guess I could complain about not being able to shave with it another 30 times.. LOL. So there it is.

This morning I cleaned the razor with hot soapy water and a toothbrush, sterilized it with rubbing alcohol, finished with a hot water rinse, dried it, boxed it up with a tuck of 5 Gillette Nacet blades, wrapped it in bubble wrap, and put it in a bubble-wrap envelope with address labels for @dmshaver affixed. I went to the Post Office this morning and insured it for $100, and shipped it Priority Mail. ETA Monday 05/14. PM’d the Tracking Info to @dmshaver.

I look forward to continuing to see what others think of this razor, and once again, thank you @GlazedBoker for the experience.

Excellent finale, great report :thumbup:

View attachment 882662

Shave #5

That's as good as it gets. And you're most welcome, as it has been a pleasure for me following the write ups and thoughts from all across the US. Well done.....:thumbup:

View attachment 882496

Shave #4 A Wondrous Shave

Plate: R4
Blade: Gillette Nacet (Fresh)
Soap: Prorasso Red Shaving Soap in a Jar
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel – Cucumber, Whole Foods Sandalwood EE

The Shave:
ShaveDate 05/09/2018, 21:15 My shave with plate#4 felt to me as if I’d hit a ‘sweet spot’ with this RockWell 6S. My experience was a combination of immediate growth reduction, absence of irritation, ease over the skin, forgiveness for sometimes imperfect technique, and ultimately a great enjoyment of use. Any number of variables could be attributed to the resultant shave here; gaining an affinity for the razor from using it repeatedly (see above Fixed Four related posts), ord, but I suspect I’d only use #3-6 with any regularity. As for plates #1-2, I am conjuring up scenarios where I introduce someone to wet-shaving, like my 14 year old nephew for example, via a hands-on tutorial, and the use of plate #1. Or when I return to port after a 5+ day sailing voyage or camping trip and want to shave.

With plate 4, the most rewarding pass was ATG. I found this razor allowed me to ‘double-dip’ over the same spot twice on the same pass, without issue. A no-no, in the strictest of circles, but I see it done all of the time. It also is quite forgiving of multiple passes in the same direction (with re-lathering) without consequence. I.E. my ATG times 2.

During this 4th shave, I felt as if I was really beginning to dial in the right angle for this plate. It was IMO a different angle than was required for the previous plates. Each one was a bit different, but this one seemed the most notably different, if that makes sense. There was excellent, very audible feedback from the hairs being reduced. This feedback really served as an invitation to go steeper/closer. In short, a very satisfying and close shave. Wrapping up, I’ll reiterate; this plate, at this point in my wet-shaving journey, felt like the plate that would consistently provide the most rewarding results.

Next Shave: My next and final RockWell 6S shave will be about 24 hours from my last, and I’ll use plate #5, with the same Nacet blade used above. Additionally, in keeping with my newly self-imposed ‘fixed four’ technique improvement discipline, I MAY stick with the same soap and brush, but TBD. After that, I’ll clean it up, box it up, toss in a tuck of Nacet blades (I have tons) and send it off to @dmshaver , and PM him the tracking info. I expect to visit the Post Office on Friday. OFC, I’ll review that final shave here.

Once Again, @GlazedBoker , a huge thanks for this learning experience.[/QUOT
View attachment 882662

Shave #5

Great write ups @JimDandy

View attachment 882662

Shave #5

Well done, sir. Entertaining as always, and very informative. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your reports.

The Fixed Four is trying in some ways. Most notably in the inability to enjoy all of the other wonderful scents in shaving. You had mentioned picking one soap base but multiple scents, and whether that would be cheating. For my skin, I get weird reactions to certain soaps within the same company's products. To make certain that any weird results from your shaves aren't a skin reaction, I would suggest sticking with the exact same soap. Using a soap/cream with a subdued scent also helps, so you don't get so sick of the scent you have to swear it off entirely.

I get weird reactions to certain soaps within the same company's products. To make certain that any weird results from your shaves aren't a skin reaction, I would suggest sticking with the exact same soap. Using a soap/cream with a subdued scent also helps, so you don't get so sick of the scent you have to swear it off entirely.

This lends more justification to a single soap with a single scent. A reaction to a specific scent in the same line is something that hadn’t occurred to me.

I am in the midst of trying to decide what the fixed soap will be. A tough choice.

Thanks to all for the kind words about my reviews. I’ve always enjoyed composition and reporting, so this was the perfect opportunity to give the figurative quill a good work out.

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (completed)
-Dfoulk (completed)
-kxthor (completed)
-Graydog (completed)
-Grundi (completed)
-Cut Throat (completed)
-Newmania (completed)
-Dave in Ky (completed)
-dezmil (completed)
-JimDandy (completed-shipped)
-dmshaver (in-route to)
-Ray Settanta (on deck)
-Gorris

Added another member per his request, @Gorris. Keep those reports coming gents, as much as you think that it’s the same old same old, everyone’s shave experience is unique and potentially can mirror those that are on the fence and have similar shaving requirements to those that have taken the 6s through it’s paces. Trust me, your thoughts do help anyone and everyone from a complete noob to a seasoned vet. No report is boring or useless Gentlemen. They all count and I (We) thank all of those that have taken the time to express and share their experiences with the rest of the shave community here at the B&B.

Get your shave on Gents.... :shaving:

Last edited:
Congratulations! I’m looking forward to getting my week on the pass around, it should begin tomorrow. Who knows, I may be joining the ranks of the Rockwell owners soon.

The Tour did me in....................Got a 6s on it's way to me now.....................
Congrats. I'm really hearing the Rockwell calling my name too. Although, I'm also eyeing that new fandangled Karve razor I keep hearing so much about. At this point I'm torn between the two. Maybe the right answer is to get both. :clap:

Congrats. I'm really hearing the Rockwell calling my name too. Although, I'm also eyeing that new fandangled Karve razor I keep hearing so much about. At this point I'm torn between the two. Maybe the right answer is to get both. :clap:
I was torn too but know the 6s from using and saw one in BST with a Declaration Grooming soap for a good price. Karve maybe down the road...........

I just received the razor in the mail. It arrived packaged well and intact. I didn’t shave this morning hoping it would deliver today, I’m about to give it its first test drive, I’m going to start off on plate 4. I’ll report back later.

I didn’t shave this morning in anticipation of getting the razor today. It arrived and I felt like it was Christmas! I opened the package, kudos to Jimdandy for packaging it so well. I’ve already PM’d Ray Settanta for his shipping information since he is up next after me. Enough idle chitchat, let’s talk about the razor.

First shave:
Prep: hot shower
Blade: GSB, with one shave on it from yesterday
Cream: Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort
Brush: Yaqi 24mm 2 band badger

After reading other posts on this pass around thread I chose plate 4 to start with.

A little bit about me first. I’ve only been DE shaving since November, 2017. I’ve been shaving 40+ years, first with electric’s, then with disposables.My first DE razor in November was a Parker 90r. I purchased an EJ de89 in March and have been enjoying better shaves than with my Parker. Participating in B&B I quickly realized there were much better shaves available, but I needed to work on my technique first. I’m doing the Fixed 4 for a month & have seen much improvement in my technique.

After lathering up I started shaving and was instantly aware at how much heavier this razor I s compared to my Edwin Jagger DE 89. I am impressed at how easy it is to find the angle. Good feedback was provided as my blade reduced the hair first on my right cheek then on my left cheek. By that time I was thinking “this is remarkable instrument, I might try going to plate 5 for the second pass”. Even the difficult areas around my dimpled chin and under my jaw line on both sides of my neck are managed superbly by the razor.

The first pass was more efficient and reduced the hair better than my EJDE 89. Switching to plate 5 for my second pass was remarkable. No irritation and I continued to glide over my face with ease. I decided to go for a third pass ATG, and did just that after rinsing and re-lathering. At the end of my third pass I had the best shave I’ve experienced in my short time DE shaving!

I finished off with alum block, witch hazel, and Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS. I feel outstanding!

This is a remarkable instrument, I can’t wait to learn it better and get even better results. Thank you Glazed Boker for starting this pass around, you’re turning a lot of folks on to what a good shave is all about!!!

I didn’t shave this morning in anticipation of getting the razor today. It arrived and I felt like it was Christmas! I opened the package, kudos to Jimdandy for packaging it so well. I’ve already PM’d Ray Settanta for his shipping information since he is up next after me. Enough idle chitchat, let’s talk about the razor.

First shave:

After reading other posts on this pass around thread I chose plate 4 to start with.

A little bit about me first. I’ve only been DE shaving since November, 2017. I’ve been shaving 40+ years, first with electric’s, then with disposables.My first DE razor in November was a Parker 90r. I purchased an EJ de89 in March and have been enjoying better shaves than with my Parker. Participating in B&B I quickly realized there were much better shaves available, but I needed to work on my technique first. I’m doing the Fixed 4 for a month & have seen much improvement in my technique.

After lathering up I started shaving and was instantly aware at how much heavier this razor I s compared to my Edwin Jagger DE 89. I am impressed at how easy it is to find the angle. Good feedback was provided as my blade reduced the hair first on my right cheek then on my left cheek. By that time I was thinking “this is remarkable instrument, I might try going to plate 5 for the second pass”. Even the difficult areas around my dimpled chin and under my jaw line on both sides of my neck are managed superbly by the razor.

The first pass was more efficient and reduced the hair better than my EJDE 89. Switching to plate 5 for my second pass was remarkable. No irritation and I continued to glide over my face with ease. I decided to go for a third pass ATG, and did just that after rinsing and re-lathering. At the end of my third pass I had the best shave I’ve experienced in my short time DE shaving!

I finished off with alum block, witch hazel, and Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS. I feel outstanding!

This is a remarkable instrument, I can’t wait to learn it better and get even better results. Thank you Glazed Boker for starting this pass around, you’re turning a lot of folks on to what a good shave is all about!!!
Great first report!

First shave:

Awesome report. It does seem to find the angle on it's own.

First shave:

Good start.... :thumbsup:
I’ve been having some good shaves lately with the 6s’s lil’bro. The 6c... pretty darn good to be honest. But that’s for another thread. But, here’s a peek.... :001_tt2:

9CD47FFC-6FAC-4131-B8B2-D0B0A863C388.jpeg

Top Bottom