What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

@Johnnynroy - funny - that was my initial thought as well. Minimize the variables and keep the constants controlled by using the same blade. Makes really good sense. No offense taken at all... one of the beauties of a well mannered thread is invitation and acceptance of opinions that differ from one's own.

thanks @Highspeedlane, @mozartman and @GlazedBoker for the accolades! Much appreciated.

@Johnnynroy - funny - that was my initial thought as well. Minimize the variables and keep the constants controlled by using the same blade. Makes really good sense. No offense taken at all... one of the beauties of a well mannered thread is invitation and acceptance of opinions that differ from one's own.

thanks @Highspeedlane, @mozartman and @GlazedBoker for the accolades! Much appreciated.

That's what true Gentlemen do. Not that I'm calling myself one as I consider myself to be the biggest Hooligan & Vagabond on God's good Earth here. But, I can be civil on occasion.... :ciappa:

Man, this razor is on my short list. I'm currently using a Fatip Grande and loving it, but I think my face wouldn't love it quite as much if I had to shave more than once a week! Adjustables have been suggested to me, but I am reluctant to try something with any kind of mechanism, and I am kinda wanting something in stainless steel because the water where I live seems to be unkind to pot metal. And rubber, for that matter. I'm seriously checking out the Game Changer since it would be nice to have a milder razor for more frequent shaves / something I wouldn't be afraid to try shaving the rest of my head with, but it's currently not available. It would be nice to be able to dial in the shave though!

Rockwell Shave 3 Plate 3 (2).jpg

Tuesday was a gorgeous Spring day in Philadelphia, and after a delightful, albeit at times mystifying and frustrating, round of post-work, evening- dusk golf, I set about to clean up, and shave as part of my evening routine.

Shave #3

Plate: R3
Blade: Gillette Nacet (third shave w this blade)
Brush: Fendrihan 24mm Synth
Soap: Cold River Soap Works Select Springtime 2018 LE
Pre: Hot Shower, dollop of soap pressed in the bowl w/ a bit of water for blooming
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel – Cucumber

The Shave: I was excited to see what these mid-range plates would do, so I skipped plate #2. Thus far, I’ve used plate #6, and plate #1. I’ve seen folks discussing the notion that plates 3 through 5 are really where the magic happens for this razor, when considering what plate(s) would be the best daily driver. So, that was my frame of reference for the next few shaves.

I’ve expressed my high opinion of CRSW in my journal and other places, so I’ll just say I love this soap, and encourage you to try a tub. In the tub, consistency is more like a dry Crème side of things rather than a puck, and the performance and scent profiles are IMO - sheer delight. The Fendrihan synthetic brush is super-soft, but the knot is HUGE. I guess I should have opted for the 22mm. So much for "more is better”.

The #3 plate provided a closer shave than the #1 for sure. I’d equate the growth reduction on the initial WTG pass along the same lines as my Edwin Jagger DE89L. Now, I’ll also remark, this is the third shave on this Nacet blade, so it may be time to chuck it. As an aside, I haven’t quite gotten my head around some of the threads I’ve seen where folks remark they are on their 9-19th shave on a blade. Perhaps it’s the blades I am using, but I tend to notice performance changing considerably after 3-4 shaves. In some cases, right in the middle of a shave it seems the blade’s sharpness just stalls. Maybe it’s me (probably)..LOL. How does one work with a blade that long?

So this plate #3 provided a very pleasant and effortless shave. It seemed to me that very little concentration was necessary to get the razor to perform well. OFC the usual WTG, XTG, ATG passes. This evening, a full-on additional ATG pass was required to really get a smoothness that made me content. With that 4th pass there was just the very beginnings of the introduction of some extremely mild irritation. More like; “if you do another pass it will be too much”, not ”Now you’ve done it”. I’ll add that in all three shaves, not a single weeper, nick or cut. (now I’ve jinxed myself…lol) So IMO that speaks to the efficiency of the razor.

I am learning through trying this razor that I seem to prefer a weighty razor. Again, I’ll compare my experiences thus far with the Rockwell to the pleasure I derive from the Merkur 45C, and my level of confidence when executing a shave with both. The Merkur is a delightful razor in its own right, but in my limited experience with it, I tend to handle it delicately because of its airy weight. The RockWell’s sturdy weight evokes the perception of a higher degree of durability, engineering sophistication etc. The result is some odd sensory-psychological yoga that morphs its way into a more confident approach to running a thin piece of sharpened steel repeatedly across your skin in varying directions. Okay, now I’m waxing too philosophically, so I’ll stop here.

Next Shave: My next shave will be about 24 hours from my last, and I’ll use plate #4, with a fresh blade, probably another Nacet to keep hardware fairly consistant.

View attachment 882281

Tuesday was a gorgeous Spring day in Philadelphia, and after a delightful, albeit at times mystifying and frustrating, round of post-work, evening- dusk golf, I set about to clean up, and shave as part of my evening routine.

Shave #3

Plate: R3
Blade: Gillette Nacet (third shave w this blade)
Brush: Fendrihan 24mm Synth
Soap: Cold River Soap Works Select Springtime 2018 LE
Pre: Hot Shower, dollop of soap pressed in the bowl w/ a bit of water for blooming
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel – Cucumber

The Shave: I was excited to see what these mid-range plates would do, so I skipped plate #2. Thus far, I’ve used plate #6, and plate #1. I’ve seen folks discussing the notion that plates 3 through 5 are really where the magic happens for this razor, when considering what plate(s) would be the best daily driver. So, that was my frame of reference for the next few shaves.

I’ve expressed my high opinion of CRSW in my journal and other places, so I’ll just say I love this soap, and encourage you to try a tub. In the tub, consistency is more like a dry Crème side of things rather than a puck, and the performance and scent profiles are IMO - sheer delight. The Fendrihan synthetic brush is super-soft, but the knot is HUGE. I guess I should have opted for the 22mm. So much for "more is better”.

The #3 plate provided a closer shave than the #1 for sure. I’d equate the growth reduction on the initial WTG pass along the same lines as my Edwin Jagger DE89L. Now, I’ll also remark, this is the third shave on this Nacet blade, so it may be time to chuck it. As an aside, I haven’t quite gotten my head around some of the threads I’ve seen where folks remark they are on their 9-19th shave on a blade. Perhaps it’s the blades I am using, but I tend to notice performance changing considerably after 3-4 shaves. In some cases, right in the middle of a shave it seems the blade’s sharpness just stalls. Maybe it’s me (probably)..LOL. How does one work with a blade that long?

So this plate #3 provided a very pleasant and effortless shave. It seemed to me that very little concentration was necessary to get the razor to perform well. OFC the usual WTG, XTG, ATG passes. This evening, a full-on additional ATG pass was required to really get a smoothness that made me content. With that 4th pass there was just the very beginnings of the introduction of some extremely mild irritation. More like; “if you do another pass it will be too much”, not ”Now you’ve done it”. I’ll add that in all three shaves, not a single weeper, nick or cut. (now I’ve jinxed myself…lol) So IMO that speaks to the efficiency of the razor.

I am learning through trying this razor that I seem to prefer a weighty razor. Again, I’ll compare my experiences thus far with the Rockwell to the pleasure I derive from the Merkur 45C, and my level of confidence when executing a shave with both. The Merkur is a delightful razor in its own right, but in my limited experience with it, I tend to handle it delicately because of its airy weight. The RockWell’s sturdy weight evokes the perception of a higher degree of durability, engineering sophistication etc. The result is some odd sensory-psychological yoga that morphs its way into a more confident approach to running a thin piece of sharpened steel repeatedly across your skin in varying directions. Okay, now I’m waxing too philosophically, so I’ll stop here.

Next Shave: My next shave will be about 24 hours from my last, and I’ll use plate #4, with a fresh blade, probably another Nacet to keep hardware fairly consistant.

A great review, thank you. I used to put no credence in the notion of "weighty" razors, actually tending to prefer those leaning to being lighter than the 6s, but since getting accustomed to the heavier weight I actually like it, and find it no obstacle to a great shave...and may actually be beneficial.

As an aside, I haven’t quite gotten my head around some of the threads I’ve seen where folks remark they are on their 9-19th shave on a blade.
Check out the Excalibur Club OP Jim. :wink2:
Perhaps it’s the blades I am using, but I tend to notice performance changing considerably after 3-4 shaves. In some cases, right in the middle of a shave it seems the blade’s sharpness just stalls.
I'd guess that this is caused by either "changing one or more pieces of hardware or software each shave" or "technique" or both.
Maybe it’s me (probably)..LOL. How does one work with a blade that long?
Improve one's technique.
I’ll add that in all three shaves, not a single weeper, nick or cut. (now I’ve jinxed myself…lol) So IMO that speaks to the efficiency of the razor.
Expecting any of these three suggests that you're not fully aware during your shave. Do you slip into the dreamworld (thinking about the future or past, but not the "now") at times (or all the time) while shaving?

These are just observations from my point of view, not criticisms. Happy shaving! :thumbsup:

@Cal These are great observations.

I'll be sure to check out the Excalibur club link.

I am admittedly changing soaps often between shaves, and since I have several razors, I tend to rotate those as well as brushes. An interesting implication of your observations may be the idea of using the same razor, with the same blade, brush, bowl, soap etc for an extended period in order to refine technique. Great food for thought.

I'd conclude by saying, i don't necessarily drift off into a dream, or expect weepers, cuts etc while shaving. I enjoy shaving a great deal, so tend to stay present and participate. Hence, one of the reasons I like shaving in the evening, creating a bit of a ritual practice around it. But I've had weepers etc., admittedly because of newness, or inexperience possibly combined with, as you noted, frequent changes in tools. One example would be my first foray into the realm of Open Comb and the resultant tenderness of that shave.

As you suggest, practice, focus and consistency are key. Awesome thoughts! Thanks, much appreciated.

I’ve been doing the Fixed Four for about 1.5 weeks now & already seeing improvement with my technique. I’ll be getting the Rockwell from JimDandy so that will break my Fixed Four while I am test driving the Rockwell.Once I’m done for the week with the Rockwell, I intend on doing the Fixed Four for a month. It’s driving me crazy because I have so many creams and blades I want to try. And I want to get another razor. But for me, I need to minimize variables and learn, learn, learn, before I start mixing.

I’ve been doing the Fixed Four for about 1.5 weeks now & already seeing improvement with my technique.
:001_cool:
I’ll be getting the Rockwell from JimDandy so that will break my Fixed Four while I am test driving the Rockwell.
To keep your technique going in the right direction...:001_unsur Will you be sticking with the same brush, soap/cream, and blade that you're using now (with the only variant being the 6S)?

:001_cool:

To keep your technique going in the right direction...:001_unsur Will you be sticking with the same brush, soap/cream, and blade that you're using now (with the only variant being the 6S)?

Absolutely. I’m going to continue to use a GSB for the blade, T & H Ultimate Comfort from my cream, and a Yaqi 24 mm 2 band badger brush. Those are the items I’ve been using for my Fixed Four so I am only changing the razor.

@Cal These are great observations.

I'll be sure to check out the Excalibur club link.

I am admittedly changing soaps often between shaves, and since I have several razors, I tend to rotate those as well as brushes. An interesting implication of your observations may be the idea of using the same razor, with the same blade, brush, bowl, soap etc for an extended period in order to refine technique. Great food for thought.

I'd conclude by saying, i don't necessarily drift off into a dream, or expect weepers, cuts etc while shaving. I enjoy shaving a great deal, so tend to stay present and participate. Hence, one of the reasons I like shaving in the evening, creating a bit of a ritual practice around it. But I've had weepers etc., admittedly because of newness, or inexperience possibly combined with, as you noted, frequent changes in tools. One example would be my first foray into the realm of Open Comb and the resultant tenderness of that shave.

As you suggest, practice, focus and consistency are key. Awesome thoughts! Thanks, much appreciated.

Consistency is an excellent teacher. I highly encourage doing a Fixed Four. My first foray into consistency was using the same shave soap for 30 straight shaves, Stirling Bay Rum. My shaves started getting significantly better with that. Then I did the Fixed Four in March. I wasn't completely happy with the setup, but I learned how to make it all work together by the end of the month. It was an excellent experiment, but I did greatly miss varying some parts of my shave. Since I completed the Fixed, my shaves have never been better, even though I no longer use any part of it. I would do a Fixed after you finish up your time with the Rockwell. There is a reason many of us around here recommend sticking with a setup for several weeks. The amount of improvement that can occur in that short amount of time is immense. Give it a shot!

Absolutely. I’m going to continue to use a GSB for the blade, T & H Ultimate Comfort from my cream, and a Yaqi 24 mm 2 band badger brush. Those are the items I’ve been using for my Fixed Four so I am only changing the razor.

Good luck with your Fixed Four! It takes perseverance but it is worthwhile.

This Fixed Four or using the same set up for a month to dial in technique sounds like the way to go. It could also serve as a bit of a Step One in my rehabilitation from X(any shaving related item here).A.D. The 'oh look, something shiny, fuzzy, or pretty smelling" syndrome definitely has its pitfalls. I guess the main one being the varying quality of the shaves mostly because of the unfamiliarity of the set up when the combination is always changing. I'll reiterate that it makes perfect sense. (cents, sents, scents. English is so much fun.)

I suspect that most newcomers, like myself, are in deep Acquisition Mode for the first bit of their wet shaving experience, but there is definite merit in adopting a KISS approach. I am guessing the man that shaved in 1942 didn't have 748 artisan-made products to divert his attention from the task at hand.

I have another pass-around on deck after this one (@Rory1262 's Natural Irish Soap Pass-around - I believe he is still inviting participants if that interests you). So I wont be able to stick religiously to the Fixed Four until after that. I could do Fixed Three while its my turn on the Pass-around as a warm up lap.

Interesting question - would soaps from the same manufacturer (that use the same base profile i.e. tallow, etc), but different scents, qualify as "Fixed?" i.e Porasso Green, Porasso Red.....hmmm. As I type this, in my heart of hearts I know the answer... it already sounds like a cheat.... So, NO. :)

Last edited:
Rockwell Shave 4 plate 4.jpg

Shave #4 A Wondrous Shave

Plate: R4
Blade: Gillette Nacet (Fresh)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Badger
Soap: Prorasso Red Shaving Soap in a Jar
Pre: Hot Shower, soak brush, dollop of soap in the bowl for blooming
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel – Cucumber, Whole Foods Sandalwood EE

The Shave:
ShaveDate 05/09/2018, 21:15 My shave with plate#4 felt to me as if I’d hit a ‘sweet spot’ with this RockWell 6S. My experience was a combination of immediate growth reduction, absence of irritation, ease over the skin, forgiveness for sometimes imperfect technique, and ultimately a great enjoyment of use. Any number of variables could be attributed to the resultant shave here; gaining an affinity for the razor from using it repeatedly (see above Fixed Four related posts), a new, albeit familiar blade, acquaintance with the soap and brush, good tunes coming from the speakers, the warm May breeze wafting through the windows, etc. I’d say thus far plate#4 is my favorite plate. If I ever own a RockWell 6, it would probably be my daily/Go-To plate. That is…if it’s not deposed by plate #5 based on my next shave, tbd.

That said, I’m attracted to the versatility the available plates afford, but I suspect I’d only use #3-6 with any regularity. As for plates #1-2, I am conjuring up scenarios where I introduce someone to wet-shaving, like my 14 year old nephew for example, via a hands-on tutorial, and the use of plate #1. Or when I return to port after a 5+ day sailing voyage or camping trip and want to shave.

With plate 4, the most rewarding pass was ATG. I found this razor allowed me to ‘double-dip’ over the same spot twice on the same pass, without issue. A no-no, in the strictest of circles, but I see it done all of the time. It also is quite forgiving of multiple passes in the same direction (with re-lathering) without consequence. I.E. my ATG times 2.

During this 4th shave, I felt as if I was really beginning to dial in the right angle for this plate. It was IMO a different angle than was required for the previous plates. Each one was a bit different, but this one seemed the most notably different, if that makes sense. There was excellent, very audible feedback from the hairs being reduced. This feedback really served as an invitation to go steeper/closer. In short, a very satisfying and close shave. Wrapping up, I’ll reiterate; this plate, at this point in my wet-shaving journey, felt like the plate that would consistently provide the most rewarding results.

Next Shave: My next and final RockWell 6S shave will be about 24 hours from my last, and I’ll use plate #5, with the same Nacet blade used above. Additionally, in keeping with my newly self-imposed ‘fixed four’ technique improvement discipline, I MAY stick with the same soap and brush, but TBD. After that, I’ll clean it up, box it up, toss in a tuck of Nacet blades (I have tons) and send it off to @dmshaver , and PM him the tracking info. I expect to visit the Post Office on Friday. OFC, I’ll review that final shave here.

Once Again, @GlazedBoker , a huge thanks for this learning experience.

View attachment 882496

The Shave:
ShaveDate 05/09/2018, 21:15 My shave with plate#4 felt to me as if I’d hit a ‘sweet spot’ with this RockWell 6S. My experience was a combination of immediate growth reduction, absence of irritation, ease over the skin, forgiveness for sometimes imperfect technique, and ultimately a great enjoyment of use. Any number of variables could be attributed to the resultant shave here; gaining an affinity for the razor from using it repeatedly (see above Fixed Four related posts), a new, albeit familiar blade, acquaintance with the soap and brush, good tunes coming from the speakers, the warm May breeze wafting through the windows, etc. I’d say thus far plate#4 is my favorite plate. If I ever own a RockWell 6, it would probably be my daily/Go-To plate. That is…if it’s not deposed by plate #5 based on my next shave, tbd.

That said, I’m attracted to the versatility the available plates afford, but I suspect I’d only use #3-6 with any regularity. As for plates #1-2, I am conjuring up scenarios where I introduce someone to wet-shaving, like my 14 year old nephew for example, via a hands-on tutorial, and the use of plate #1. Or when I return to port after a 5+ day sailing voyage or camping trip and want to shave.

With plate 4, the most rewarding pass was ATG. I found this razor allowed me to ‘double-dip’ over the same spot twice on the same pass, without issue. A no-no, in the strictest of circles, but I see it done all of the time. It also is quite forgiving of multiple passes in the same direction (with re-lathering) without consequence. I.E. my ATG times 2.

During this 4th shave, I felt as if I was really beginning to dial in the right angle for this plate. It was IMO a different angle than was required for the previous plates. Each one was a bit different, but this one seemed the most notably different, if that makes sense. There was excellent, very audible feedback from the hairs being reduced. This feedback really served as an invitation to go steeper/closer. In short, a very satisfying and close shave. Wrapping up, I’ll reiterate; this plate, at this point in my wet-shaving journey, felt like the plate that would consistently provide the most rewarding results.

Next Shave: My next and final RockWell 6S shave will be about 24 hours from my last, and I’ll use plate #5, with the same Nacet blade used above. Additionally, in keeping with my newly self-imposed ‘fixed four’ technique improvement discipline, I MAY stick with the same soap and brush, but TBD. After that, I’ll clean it up, box it up, toss in a tuck of Nacet blades (I have tons) and send it off to @dmshaver , and PM him the tracking info. I expect to visit the Post Office on Friday. OFC, I’ll review that final shave here.

An excellently written and detailed shave report amigo. Well done, Sir. Well done..... :thumbsup:

View attachment 882496

The Shave:

Excellent results. If the 6s had only been released with R4 I would have been perfectly happy :)

@Highspeedlane .. .So far, I'd agree with you. A 4/6 flip-plate would be near perfection. Although, surprisingly, there is a ton of buzz-around about this Karve Christopher Bradley thingamabob being poised to usurp the coveted 'very high quality for a given price point' position occupied by the RockWell 6S. From the little bit of exploration I've done, the RockWell certainly needs less pre-purchase planning, since you get all of the plates as part of the price, where the CB is a plate by plate purchase arrangement. Pros and cons to both marketing approaches. If its a plate by plate purchase affair, is it really adjustable at that point, or just 'configurable'? Oh well, another thread for another time...

@Highspeedlane .. .So far, I'd agree with you. A 4/6 flip-plate would be near perfection. Although, surprisingly, there is a ton of buzz-around about this Karve Christopher Bradley thingamabob being poised to usurp the coveted 'very high quality for a given price point' position occupied by the RockWell 6S. From the little bit of exploration I've done, the RockWell certainly needs less pre-purchase planning, since you get all of the plates as part of the price, where the CB is a plate by plate purchase arrangement. Pros and cons to both marketing approaches. If its a plate by plate purchase affair, is it really adjustable at that point, or just 'configurable'? Oh well, another thread for another time...
Yes, I think the 6S for $80 (with the B&B discount) and six plates was a great deal. Even though ATT and Timeless already offered models with different base plates, and even though their excellent craftsmanship no doubt justifies their higher prices, it's great to have a quality, budget priced option that performs as well as the Rockwell. No doubt their success helped inspire the Karve razor, which I believe now offers seven interchangeable base plates. I'd bet other quality models with interchangeable base plates at this moderate price point will follow. It makes me very glad I returned to DE shaving when I did. And thanks again to @GlazedBoker for starting this thread.

Indeed for me, the 6s is a tough act to follow and is certainly going to be emulated which is all the more beneficial for we in the community. And I agree, "configurable" is a highly accurate term applied to these type systems.

Yes, I think the 6S for $80 (with the B&B discount) and six plates was a great deal. Even though ATT and Timeless already offered models with different base plates, and even though their excellent craftsmanship no doubt justifies their higher prices, it's great to have a quality, budget priced option that performs as well as the Rockwell. No doubt their success helped inspire the Karve razor, which I believe now offers seven interchangeable base plates. I'd bet other quality models with interchangeable base plates at this moderate price point will follow. It makes me very glad I returned to DE shaving when I did. And thanks again to @GlazedBoker for starting this thread.

I concur, especially the great generosity of @GlazedBoker. This thread was what inspired me to get one :thumbup:

Top Bottom