What's new

The rigidity of the blade(DE)

As you said, wunderbar is also rather easy to damage the blade, so I usually changed it after 1-2 times.

Eh? I have used the Wunderbar with a Wizamet for all 6 shaves in a week with no damage to the blade or to me. I've used a Polsilver Stainless for the same duration, and given the quality of those blades, could have gone into the following week but swapped it out from habit. I have never damaged any blade in the WB, or any other razor for that matter.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The Gillette Old Type and others modeled after it have no blade gap to leave you hanging, so complete bottom support.
No blade gap? How could that possibly work? You'll shave stripes! :ohmy:
I think you'll find there's indeed a gap above the combs if you look more closely.

Eh? I have used the Wunderbar with a Wizamet for all 6 shaves in a week with no damage to the blade or to me. I've used a Polsilver Stainless for the same duration, and given the quality of those blades, could have gone into the following week but swapped it out from habit. I have never damaged any blade in the WB, or any other razor for that matter.
My beard is limited to 5 days with wunderbar and feather hi stainless.
And I've been using SE a lot lately, so I only use wunderbar for 2 days in a row.
I wish I could use it more:)

Blackbird, ERA, BR-1(out of stock🤣)Overlander, lupo
I'm reading lots of reviews around here.

Attachments

• 3DC5F76B-D667-4E88-B803-B3237EBA680D.jpeg
    3DC5F76B-D667-4E88-B803-B3237EBA680D.jpeg
    984.1 KB · Views: 10
No blade gap? How could that possibly work? You'll shave stripes! :ohmy:
I think you'll find there's indeed a gap above the combs if you look more closely.
:laugh:Well, that certainly makes sense. I can't see a gap, but I don't have a striped beard, so you must be right!

are these the same blades as the "yellow" (and black cardboard tuck) feathers?
I don't know if the production location is the same, but the performance should be the same.
But there are rumors that the black one has a longer life span.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Don't expect a longer life span of your blades. In my opinion, a rigid clamped blade is more stressful for the blade.

A couple of days ago, I finished a 45 shave run on a Wilkinson Sword blade in my black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. Those blades normally only give me 20 shaves in my usual razor, an Edwin Jagger DE3D14.

For that last shave, I transferred the blade back to the Jagger, to see how differently it felt. The blade struggled far more in the Jagger, than in the more rigid Wilkie. However, I actually prefer the shaves from the Jagger, and if that lack of rigidity costs me that extra blade life, so be it.

Sorry I am late and can’t read all the replies now. I have and recommended the Tatara Nodachi with Masamune OC baseplate for your described conditions. You have probably tried even more razors than me so sorry if you have already tried this one. ;)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The RazoRock Game Changer with the JAWS baseplate holds that blade rigidly while still allowing for positive blade exposure.

The Yaqi Mellon offers good blade rigidity with negative blade exposure.

A couple of days ago, I finished a 45 shave run on a Wilkinson Sword blade in my black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. Those blades normally only give me 20 shaves in my usual razor, an Edwin Jagger DE3D14.

For that last shave, I transferred the blade back to the Jagger, to see how differently it felt. The blade struggled far more in the Jagger, than in the more rigid Wilkie. However, I actually prefer the shaves from the Jagger, and if that lack of rigidity costs me that extra blade life, so be it.
The issue I had was that the Wizamet blades failed during the first shave in the rigid Tatara. It might also have something to do with the shaving angle with this razor. Bad combination maybe.
If I get more then 3 shaves from any blades I am happy. I get 50 to 70 shaves fro most of my straight razors, so shaving prep should be OK.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The issue I had was that the Wizamet blades failed during the first shave in the rigid Tatara. It might also have something to do with the shaving angle with this razor. Bad combination maybe.
If I get more then 3 shaves from any blades I am happy. I get 50 to 70 shaves fro most of my straight razors, so shaving prep should be OK.
Yup. I had a similar issue with a Fatip Grande. No matter how I used it, I couldn't get a comfortable shave from it with my preferred blades. Ironically, the only decent shave I got from it, was using a Polsilver blade, which had been horrendously tuggy in other razors. I suspect the Fatip was just a bad angle for my beard, rather than anything to do with rigidity or exposure. I gave it away to a member on here, and went back to my favourite kit.

Yup. I had a similar issue with a Fatip Grande. No matter how I used it, I couldn't get a comfortable shave from it with my preferred blades. Ironically, the only decent shave I got from it, was using a Polsilver blade, which had been horrendously tuggy in other razors. I suspect the Fatip was just a bad angle for my beard, rather than anything to do with rigidity or exposure. I gave it away to a member on here, and went back to my favourite kit.
A Nacet blade in the same razor changed it completely. The same Nacet blade in a Rex ambassador was not good. This blade was too flexible in this particular razor for me, but the wizamet works grate.

If blade clamping is the goal here, there is nothing better than the Era. Of course, there are a lot of other things that factor into a razor's performance, but the Era clamps literally as close to the blade edge as possible. The Blackbird uses a strong curve and the top cap's support from above to deliver great rigidity despite the limited clamping from below. Similar results with vastly different approaches.

Top Bottom