What's new

Inexpensive Fixed Angle DE?

A slightly left-field choice would be the Razorock 'German 37' slant. The razor head encourages using a particular angle, and provides close and smooth shaves with a wide variety of blades. There's a choice of around four different handles.

View attachment 1795432
My only issues with a slant is in a steamy bathroom with my glasses off, I have to guesstimate things a bit. As you need to draw in the direction of the handle (not the head) I sometimes worry. If the head and handle are perpendicular, things are easier to grok.

My only issues with a slant is in a steamy bathroom with my glasses off, I have to guesstimate things a bit. As you need to draw in the direction of the handle (not the head) I sometimes worry. If the head and handle are perpendicular, things are easier to grok.

It's not so bad, really. For things like edging sideburns, it's easy enough to go across the grain and in this way obtain a straight line. I go partly by touch for setting the level of the sideburns. It seems the slant works best when you don't go directly with the grain or against the grain.

It's not so bad, really. For things like edging sideburns, it's easy enough to go across the grain and in this way obtain a straight line. I go partly by touch for setting the level of the sideburns. It seems the slant works best when you don't go directly with the grain or against the grain.
I actually have a FOCS and retired it due to a this visibility and feel issue. It is now equipped with a RR Bulldog handle that I got in a BST Yaqi Tile Frankenrazor. The FOCS is much much better with the heavier larger handle.

As to the Tile, I do enjoy the stainless steel block of razor. It is currently equipped with a cheap cheap aluminum Lord L6 handle. The weight difference helps with finding the angle. Of note, the Tile is a blade killer, shave 2 is usually terrible, even with great blades. One and done for me and it is pretty nice!

Yates Winning v2 shaves better for me than v1 and is still being made. It's mild with a little blade feel but slightly more expensive than the Henson. I've never used the Henson or the SCS but always been intrigued by the SCS. Another inexpensive option is the Yaqi Tile, its looks similar to the Winning and Henson. To me the Tile is smooth but not as close a shaver as the Winning.
Winning v1, v2 and Tile.

View attachment 1795427
I have the TRC/SCS in SS and AL, and they are amongst my easiest to use modern razors. I prefer the SS one for the weight.

I am waiting on a Winning, but it has been two months since I ordered it…

I have the TRC/SCS in SS and AL, and they are amongst my easiest to use modern razors. I prefer the SS one for the weight.

I am waiting on a Winning, but it has been two months since I ordered it…

Have you, or would you do a cardstock test to see if the SS and Al differ in exposure, please?

Top Bottom