What's new

The rigidity of the blade(DE)

@hduty , very great photos!

@Blackland Razors , on the Era razors, do they all clamp like on hduty’s photograph and have their gap and exposure set by the depth of the safety comb/bar relative to the their cap?
I'm almost certain the clamping is identical across all plates, but Blackland can confirm.

There is a good reason I keep harping on about the Era and its blade edge control. I tried to capture it with the pics because I don't think it comes across even when I have tried to describe it so many times in my posts.

(EDIT: wasn't aware @Blackland Razors had already replied when I posted this)

Shane did answer. Your photography really kindled the urge for me to offload my Blackbird to get one.
Based on almost everything I've read the BB is more efficient even than the Lvl5, so that's probably something to keep in mind.

Either way, you mentioned you were getting the Overlander - not sure if you've used it yet but if you have and were impressed by its great clamping/stiff blade edge, the Era is still a notch above that. It really is unique in that regard.

Henson razors get a tight grip on the blade.

1654720876200.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Based on almost everything I've read the BB is more efficient even than the Lvl5, so that's probably something to keep in mind.

Everyone who really likes the Blackbird seem to have tougher, denser, fast-growing whiskers than me while still being able to achieve glass-smooth BBS finishes. I could well be doing many things wrong.

Either way, you mentioned you were getting the Overlander

It’s in my bedroom on the dresser waiting for me to give the RazoRock JAWS a break…

Okay, so I won’t buy yet another razor right now, but I’m coveting the pictures of the Blackland Era you shared.

So a shaving angle similar to the Karve CB? With the handle pointing out around a 45 degree angle?
I have never used a CB, but I know it's known for its shallow shave angle (i.e. ride the cap).
The Era is definitely not like that, it's neutral. Handle angle is same as the Rockwell.

@Blackland Razors & all gentlemen
I'm happy to report that my family decided to give me a BLACKBIRD for Father's Day a little early (they bought me a vector for my son's birthday a little early, you extravagant bastard).

I'm a little worried that it might be too aggressive, but I'm sure it will turn out well.
The problem is that what was supposed to be a double-edged razor trip may have suddenly come close to the end of the line 🤔.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Can you please recommend a razor with a highly rigid clamp?

Sure. It's another RazoRock product, the BBS. Full-contact clamping plus a small blade reveal. Extra curve to the blade, rather like the Wunderbar.

Usual RazoRock quality. A nice machined stainless razor. I have a BBS-OC which is a lovely shaver, and I've lately been playing with using it as a devette with a modified SB baseplate.

O.H.

Sure. It's another RazoRock product, the BBS. Full-contact clamping plus a small blade reveal. Extra curve to the blade, rather like the Wunderbar.

Usual RazoRock quality. A nice machined stainless razor. I have a BBS-OC which is a lovely shaver, and I've lately been playing with using it as a devette with a modified SB baseplate.

O.H.
I have the BBS, and it's great in its own right.
But the blade isn't fully clamped, if you look from below through the lather channels, with a loaded blade, you will see that a large portion of the blade is not supported at all. Still, it's a great razor!

@hduty
Thanks for the great pics.
I was wondering now when I saw it if I should have bought the ERA, but I chose something else 🤣.
Welcome.

I know it's hard to visualize even when I attempted to explain in detail that it truly is fully clamped, with the least amount of blade reveal, that's why I recommended to look at photos.

I took some new pics because I think the blade reveal appear larger than it really is in the first pic, and the second came out a bit blurry.

20220609_075050.jpg

20220609_075208.jpg

20220609_075351.jpg

20220609_090033.jpg

Welcome.

I know it's hard to visualize even when I attempted to explain in detail that it truly is fully clamped, with the least amount of blade reveal, that's why I recommended to look at photos.

I took some new pics because I think the blade reveal appear larger than it really is in the first pic, and the second came out a bit blurry.

Thanks for another great pic!
Precise and wonderful, as expected of a blackland product, I will recommend you to all my friends!

I'll be receiving my gift BLACKBIRD this weekend, I'm looking forward to it!
I'm going to use the Feathers first, but I'm a little scared 🤣.

I only want to keep 3-4 razors in my den so
BLACKBIRD
vector(se)
Aristocrat NO.16
wunderbar
stando rod
Schick E2(injector)
34c (this does not count)
I have to let go of two from here, a fun but difficult problem to worry about☺️

Top Bottom