What's new

Inexpensive Fixed Angle DE?

Hello!

Are there any inexpensive “fixed” angle DE razors? Fixed meaning that they only shave at one set angle. My issues with my DE vs my SE is that I am getting too much variability in my shaving angles and variability in a shave closeness.

I think the Henson is a fixed angle, but I have never used one.

I enjoyed the Twig in that it was fixed, but it had other issues with dangerous chatter. My ACs and Injectors seem to have solved this issue, but I have mounds of DE blades ;p

The Hensons are excellent. They come up on the BST regularly. You won't find a more precisely manufactured razor. Get one of those! I have all three (and multiple +++). If you are used to lighter injectors, the weight of the aluminum won't bother you. The light weight has advantages as well.

Aren't all DE fixed angle? Moat will have a bit of variation in terms of steep or shallow angle (ride the cap or safety bar)?

Riding the top cap of the DE is mehtod method of choice, along with a mild gap (53)

I would think a narrow gap DE would be closer to having only 1 set angle that works vs one with a wide open gap.

Last edited:
I
The Hensons are excellent. They come up on the BST regularly. You won't find a more precisely manufactured razor. Get one of those! I have all three (and multiple +++). If you are used to lighter injectors, the weight of the aluminum won't bother you. The light weight has advantages as well.
Ill have to keep an eye out.

From your criteria, I would say you are more a SE than a DE guy so that’s what I suggest.

Most DE’s are useful over a larger or smaller range of angles IME.
That may be the case. My New SC is a great shaver, it just irritates the hell out my neck cowlick. Using a duller blade like an Indian WS helps, but it is less efficient on other places. A super sharp blade irritates the hell out of the area.

Maybe it is the rapid change of angle and hair direction?

Trying various DE have been ok, but not as impressive as the New. But again, the angle is a bit varied with that razor.

Aren't all DE fixed angle? Moat will have a bit of variation in terms of steep or shallow angle (ride the cap or safety bar)?

Riding the top cap of the DE is mehtod method of choice, along with a mild gap (53)

I would think a narrow gap DE would be closer to having only 1 set angle that works vs one with a wide open gap.
By the look of it the Henson only has one accept angle. The DEs I have allow a range of angles- riding the bar, neutral and riding the cap. That is both a good thing (flexible) but also not (consistent).

I've got the Henson mild, first version Winning, and the Simple Clean Shave/TRC razor. I prefer the Simple Clean Shave razor over the other two and it's also cheaper at $45. It's machined aluminum with stainless inserts at the wear points. You can get it directly from the maker on Etsy or from The Razor Company. If you wait for a coupon code you should be able to get it from TRC cheaper or use the free shipping for software. There is also a second generation Winning available. My wife prefers the Henson over the other two. For me it's SCS >Winning>Henson

1st Winning, 1st Henson, SCS
1707754130825.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@ErkRusselReserve , I've only been at this for almost 2 years. It will be two years on Feb. 18th... so 6 more days.

I learned a couple things over this time.... things with which I struggled, not knowing I didn't know. One of them was learning to let the razor guide me to its sweet spot. It sounds simple but I was trying to force all the razors I tried to shave with a steep angle. It turns out, for me, at least, each razor is just a bit different. I have learned to let the razor talk to me... auditory feedback and of course, how the shave feels on my face. As you learn to do that, I think it will make it easier to adjust to some of the great razors out there.

The other thing I just learned a few weeks ago, in fact, came as I was discussing why I couldn't get my chin area smooth. I tried lots of different things and none of them were working. @APBinNCA /Aaron asked me if I was deviating the angle away from the sweet spot of my razors. It turns out, that is exactly what I was doing. As I started paying close attention to that simple change, I'm getting my chin smooth without the frustration.

My point is.... as you develop the best technique for you, you'll be able to use various razors with ease... or at least, you'll be able to figure them out quickly. The seasoned shaving masters here often tell us newbies.... Technique.... Technique.... Technique.

I've got the Henson mild, first version Winning, and the Simple Clean Shave/TRC razor. I prefer the Simple Clean Shave razor over the other two and it's also cheaper at $45. It's machined aluminum with stainless inserts at the wear points. You can get it directly from the maker on Etsy or from The Razor Company. If you wait for a coupon code you should be able to get it from TRC cheaper or use the free shipping for software. There is also a second generation Winning available. My wife prefers the Henson over the other two. For me it's SCS >Winning>Henson

View attachment 1795190
Thanks for the feedback!

@ErkRusselReserve , I've only been at this for almost 2 years. It will be two years on Feb. 18th... so 6 more days.

I learned a couple things over this time.... things with which I struggled, not knowing I didn't know. One of them was learning to let the razor guide me to its sweet spot. It sounds simple but I was trying to force all the razors I tried to shave with a steep angle. It turns out, for me, at least, each razor is just a bit different. I have learned to let the razor talk to me... auditory feedback and of course, how the shave feels on my face. As you learn to do that, I think it will make it easier to adjust to some of the great razors out there.

The other thing I just learned a few weeks ago, in fact, came as I was discussing why I couldn't get my chin area smooth. I tried lots of different things and none of them were working. @APBinNCA /Aaron asked me if I was deviating the angle away from the sweet spot of my razors. It turns out, that is exactly what I was doing. As I started paying close attention to that simple change, I'm getting my chin smooth without the frustration.

My point is.... as you develop the best technique for you, you'll be able to use various razors with ease... or at least, you'll be able to figure them out quickly. The seasoned shaving masters here often tell us newbies.... Technique.... Technique.... Technique.
Angle is very important, true. That is why I want to explore “fixed” angle DEs. For me, it is a strength of SEs. I have 1000+ DE blades, and ~100 AC/injector blades.

At the moment I am using DE in my SuperClick Flexball rig and cleanup with AC. It is a good combo for sure. But maybe I can find a DE that offers the performance and comfort of the AC razor? I think blade rigidity and fixed angle is very important.

My New SC has shown me I can get the blade rigidity I need in DE, but the angle and aggression issue has yet to be sorted out.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Angle is very important, true. That is why I want to explore “fixed” angle DEs. For me, it is a strength of SEs. I have 1000+ DE blades, and ~100 AC/injector blades.

At the moment I am using DE in my SuperClick Flexball rig and cleanup with AC. It is a good combo for sure. But maybe I can find a DE that offers the performance and comfort of the AC razor. I think blade rigidity and fixed angle is very important.

My New SC has shown me I can get the blade rigidity I need in DE, but the angle and aggression issue has yet to be sorted out.
I do love the AC razor format.... a lot... 5 of my top 13 razors are AC.... They can get expensive, that's all... at least, for me they did... but I enjoy shaving with them a Lot.

I hope you find that or those DE razor(s) that give you similar results and also pleasure along the way.

I do love the AC razor format.... a lot... 5 of my top 13 razors are AC.... They can get expensive, that's all... at least, for me they did... but I enjoy shaving with them a Lot.

I hope you find that or those DE razor(s) that give you similar results and also pleasure along the way.
Turns out I can use an injector blade in my (very) crappy Yaqi Katana head. Wish I had known that sooner. I am curious to see how it shaves. I might even try out a twin.

View attachment 1795190
Yates Winning v2 shaves better for me than v1 and is still being made. It's mild with a little blade feel but slightly more expensive than the Henson. I've never used the Henson or the SCS but always been intrigued by the SCS. Another inexpensive option is the Yaqi Tile, its looks similar to the Winning and Henson. To me the Tile is smooth but not as close a shaver as the Winning.
Winning v1, v2 and Tile.

1000001870.jpg

Some great info on this thread about fixed angle razors..the henson, twig, winning 1 and 2 are all good choices.. The lithe from west coast shaving also has a fixed angle head.. My choice would be the henson.. That's the easiest DE razor to shave with, it requires zero thinking about angles.. You just set it on your face and forget about it..Just make sure you get the correct one.. The aggressive +++ is my favorite of the bunch..

A slightly left-field choice would be the Razorock 'German 37' slant. The razor head encourages using a particular angle, and provides close and smooth shaves with a wide variety of blades. There's a choice of around four different handles.

1707799524246.png

Top Bottom