Thursday or shave #2:

Prep: Hot shower, Dove Men's Care Hydrate Face Wash, Cold Water Shave
Brush: VDH Boar
Soap: RazoRock Fresco
Razor: Canadian New Long Comb with Maggard MR20 Handle
Blade: Shark SS
Post: Cold water rinse, Alum, cold water rinse, Loreal ASB
Cologne: Dollar Tree knock off of Angel by Thierry Mugler

On another note my order from Italian Barber came in so I now have the RazoRock Classic that I can use.

RazoRocktober Day 3:

Brush: Shavemac D01 Extra Silver Tip
Razor: Feather AS-D2 with Feather Blade
Soap: RR King Louis Lavender--my second favorite (behind XXX)--what a great lather and scent.
Aftershave: KLL wax
Cologne: Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica

Prep: Hot Shower / Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
Razor: Genco Master Cutler
Brush: Da Vinci 290
Soap: RazoRock Nonno Michelino
A/S: Bootleggers Bay Rum + RazoRock Don Marco ASB
Quality of lather: Bubbly, Thin and Dries on Face

Well it's a good thing that my SR technique is getting better, or my irritation factor would be through the roof right now, because my lathering skills seems to be going backwards quickly - not that they were ever that good to begin with.

The last few days it seemed like I had too much water in the brush as it had all these air bubbles in it, and no matter how much I went back to the puck, it never seemed to come together. Today I took a bit of a different approach. I gave one pretty good squeeze to the knot, to get the majority of the water out of it, leaving the bristles damp. In essence, I went at it with a much drier brush than I have been. I swirl for about 30 second to a minute, and it's like the same kind of protolather. I try whipping it up, it's not getting any better. I dip tips in water, and go back to the soap, and nothing is making it any better.

Well the shave reflected the poor lathering skills afterward. The irritation level is the highest I have had in quite a while. The shave felt tuggy, and the Alum and A/S yelled at me fiercely. The shave itself was still mainly DFS, but oh boy :blink:

I only have another shave or two out of this sample, then I can hit the RR 888 Eucalyptus tub I have.

I think I am going to have to start doing a ton of practice lathers...

I don't want people to think I am blaming the soap. The soap itself, I can tell, would make a super slick lather. Even with the bubbles it feels slick at that point, it's just drying out on me, because I can't seem to nail it down. The scent is great. It is all coming down to my lathering skills at the moment - which are actually getting worse.

The Don Marco has been a very pleasant surprise over the last few days. I used it again today!!!

My first 4 shaves of the month have only used the RazoRock Alum, but tomorrow RazoRocktober starts for real for me. I finished my Coates cream so next I will be 3017'ing my tub of XX.

RazoRocktober Shave #4

Italian Barber LE Semogue Boar
RazoRock Evil Eye Lime Shave Gel (as A Pre-Shave)
Gillette Fatboy (1960)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
RazoRock S. Maria
RazoRock Alum Stick
Speick Splash

No worries Rob! I know none of us is holding your lather troubles thus far against you! I want to try and help out the best I can!

ok, so that soap is made by TFS, Tcheon Fung Sing, and old school Italian soap maker with a funny Asian name. It is the same as their soaps but packaged for RazoRock. The Nonno for them is called Sandalo Boise. Not necessarily helpful, but interesting :) There are many who think the TFS soaps are amazing, myself one of them. But there are a few who had tons of trouble and dislike them a lot. I hope to help keep you out of the latter!

First and important question: How are you lathering it? Bowl or Face? If bowl, my first suggestion is switch to face! If already face, try this. Do what you described doing the last time, but let the brush gravity drain till it stops dripping out steadily, then give one decent downward shake. Load for about 30, then straight to your mug. Work it for a bit before adding water, then add a bit to the brush by dipping our fingers and dripping it onto the brush. Small amounts at a time basically. Work that in well before adding more. You may feel the need to do that up to a few more times, but it shouldn't need much more than that. This lather lives at thick, creamy, yogurt like and that's what you want to shoot for.

give that a shot and I hope that helps!

RazoRocktober 4 - SOTD:

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Trig Silver Edge Stainless (6)
Brush: SOC Cherry Boar
Soap/Cream: RazoRock XX Artisan Soap
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Ok...not sure what to do here. I used my best lathering brush, my best lathering bowl, and just the leftovers stuck to the bottom of the bowl from yesterday's shave and I had piles and piles of lather. Seriously. About 1" thick across the entire 4" bowl. It was a bit thin in the bowl, but when it went on my face, it thickened up and was just amazing. I'm loving this XX stuff. Oh, and it took me about 30 seconds total to get a bowl full. Just awesome!!

Last edited:
Had me going there for a sec, Jeff! I know what you need to do... Get some!!!

You should like the King of the Castle too. Same soap, I'm pretty sure!

I've been away from the computer editing a hard copy of my thesis and just generally running around. So two shaves to report, # 2 and 3 respectively.

Razor: Gillette Red tip
Blade: Personna Lab
Brush: B&B essential red handle.
Soap/Cream: Razorock XX
Aftershave: Clubman

Razor: Gillette tech
Blade: Personna Lab
Brush: Semogue LE 2012
Soap/Cream: Razorock XX
Aftershave: CC Bay rum

I'm really enjoying the XX soap. I thing I may stick with it till it is gone. Maybe. Only problem I have had with it is that when I lather with Marco's method the suds that over flow the container make it too slick to hold. I've dropped the soap everyday so far. Good thing it's in plastic!

$20131003_172045.jpg

My first use of the new King of the Castle hard soap and I wasn't very impressed, but I never judge a soap by its first shave. Going to use it for the next couple shaves to see if I can get it dialed in better.

GO DUCKS!

Today it was R-160. Nice almond scent, more subtle than the classic. Great lather, as I've come to expect from RazoRock! Same razor and blade combo as yesterday. Omega 81052 brush and Speick splash aftershave.

No worries Rob! I know none of us is holding your lather troubles thus far against you! I want to try and help out the best I can!

ok, so that soap is made by TFS, Tcheon Fung Sing, and old school Italian soap maker with a funny Asian name. It is the same as their soaps but packaged for RazoRock. The Nonno for them is called Sandalo Boise. Not necessarily helpful, but interesting :) There are many who think the TFS soaps are amazing, myself one of them. But there are a few who had tons of trouble and dislike them a lot. I hope to help keep you out of the latter!

First and important question: How are you lathering it? Bowl or Face? If bowl, my first suggestion is switch to face! If already face, try this. Do what you described doing the last time, but let the brush gravity drain till it stops dripping out steadily, then give one decent downward shake. Load for about 30, then straight to your mug. Work it for a bit before adding water, then add a bit to the brush by dipping our fingers and dripping it onto the brush. Small amounts at a time basically. Work that in well before adding more. You may feel the need to do that up to a few more times, but it shouldn't need much more than that. This lather lives at thick, creamy, yogurt like and that's what you want to shoot for.

give that a shot and I hope that helps!

I am bowl lathering. I have never gotten into face lathering, but I can give it a try, I guess.

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it!

RazoRoctober shave on day #3 and #4

RR Coconut bar soap for shower
RR Little Bastone razor

RR Moroccan Secret Shaving soap
WSP Chubby brush
Clubman Special #3, Lucky Tiger #4

The Moroccan Secret is the slickest soap that I have and it smells great!

Sounds like a great shave, shep! Can you attempt to describe the scent of the Moraccan Secret? It sounds interesting but I haven't heard a thing about scent! :)

RazoRocktober 4 - SOTD:

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Tris Silver Edge Stainless (6)
Brush: SOC Cherry Boar
Soap/Cream: RazoRock XX Artisan Soap
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Ok...not sure what to do here. I used my best lathering brush, my best lathering bowl, and just the leftovers stuck to the bottom of the bowl from yesterday's shave and I had piles and piles of lather. Seriously. About 1" thick across the entire 4" bowl. It was a bit thin in the bowl, but when it went on my face, it thickened up and was just amazing. I'm loving this XX stuff. Oh, and it took me about 30 seconds total to get a bowl full. Just awesome!!

Jeff...I'm a pretty dedicated badger brush user (Duke 3) but so many of you guys use boar brushes and I'm getting the itch (...er...so to speak). I looked on ItalianBarber.com and was really tempted to order the SOC boar in cherry. Did you start with badgers?

Jay

Jeff...I'm a pretty dedicated badger brush user (Duke 3) but so many of you guys use boar brushes and I'm getting the itch (...er...so to speak). I looked on ItalianBarber.com and was really tempted to order the SOC boar in cherry. Did you start with badgers?

Jay

Jay - I started with Boars for the most part. Started with Van Der Hagen Boar, then got a VDH badger. The badger was too floppy, so I assumed all badgers were that way. I went with Semogue boars and haven't looked back until recently. I got a Edwin Jagger Badger that is wonderful, so it does have me re-thinking badgers. The SOC Boar is just an awesome brush though. I think you will be surprised if you grab one.

Jay - I started with Boars for the most part. Started with Van Der Hagen Boar, then got a VDH badger. The badger was too floppy, so I assumed all badgers were that way. I went with Semogue boars and haven't looked back until recently. I got a Edwin Jagger Badger that is wonderful, so it does have me re-thinking badgers. The SOC Boar is just an awesome brush though. I think you will be surprised if you grab one.

I just might order one in November with some new RR soaps. It's funny you mention Edwin Jagger. I have an EJ that I find too floppy for soaps, but I really like the Duke 3 because it's a lather monster. I also have a custom Rudy Vey two band badger that's pretty firm, but on the smaller side.

Thanks for the info.

Jay

Top Bottom