What's new

The “Unrestrained” Thread

I found the restraint thread but what about those of us that are “unrestrained” 😂
As a Newb I have been investing time and money into wet shaving (as much as a husband and father can) and have gotten back so much from this community - thank you. Here are some of my recent purchases, feel free to show off yours too but we should keep our significant others off this thread 🤫
To start, I got a PIF for a Captains Choice lathering bowl which I love and have been using it as my lathering bowl. It’s ceramic and it got slippery a couple times and almost dropped it. This got me thinking is there the same bowl that won’t break and maybe stay warm? Well I looked up Captains Choice products and found this beautiful copper lathering bowl. While I was poking around I also saw this lovely synthetic brush that matched the bowl neatly. I have to give Scott @Captain Pre-Capsize a shout out because the shipping was immediate, his communication was great, and the products are very high quality. I can’t say enough about how happy I am with my transaction. Thanks for the personalized note too Captain!
IMG_4100.jpeg
IMG_4099.jpeg
IMG_4101.jpeg

Here’s another order I placed with W.M. Neumann & Co. for Bay Rum shave cream, aftershave balm, and pre-shave oil. I like the pump shave cream and the glass bottle aftershave & pre-shave bottles. The products are high quality, the shipping was very quick, and the customer service was exceptional. I emailed them because I really wanted the balm rather than the splash but it said they were all out when I placed my order. I received an immediate response that they will have some more balm available in a couple days and would substitute it for me, which they did and I even got a small sample - thanks!

IMG_3964.jpeg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Ah, yes... the initial "unrestrained" purchases (excepting SWMBO?). It's very liberating. However, during this period I found myself with razors that I didn't yet know how to use or appreciate (EJ 3one6 you come to mind) tucks of blades & samplers that added to inconsistencies and confusion and enough soaps/creams that I'll be 3017ing for the next decade. Brushes? Don't get me started. I might have a pre-shave oil that's been kicking around for 5 years or so. If so I should PIF it or toss it.

A belated welcome to B&B @Jaybyrd ! Those shaving bowls are beauties! My intention with this reply is not to diminish your recent purchases. And it seems as though you are enjoying them, deservedly so. I'll just share my experience with early onset infatuation and acquisition disorders. Being unrestrained can certainly be liberating. Heading out on a journey without a plan might get one lost. That may seem esoteric.

I hope you find your acquisitions worthwhile. I also hope that you come to understand that restraint isn't always about not acquiring more, but rather gaining an understanding and appreciation of what you have. YMMV

>>>Jeez chef, get off your soapbox and have a cuppa<<<

Most importantly, welcome to B&B! I look forward to reading more about your journey.

Thank you for the warm welcome and words of wisdom. I totally agree with you and I may have already gotten a couple things that I can’t appreciate yet or use to the full scale they are intended - trying a Feather blade in the beginning for instance didn’t go so well. Wet shaving has been a blast so far and I am learning so much. I do have enough for now, other than wanting to try different blades I should be good. We are going to London & Spain this summer so I need to save my pounds & euros 😁
Thanks again!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I found the restraint thread but what about those of us that are “unrestrained” 😂
As a Newb I have been investing time and money into wet shaving (as much as a husband and father can) and have gotten back so much from this community - thank you. Here are some of my recent purchases, feel free to show off yours too but we should keep our significant others off this thread 🤫
To start, I got a PIF for a Captains Choice lathering bowl which I love and have been using it as my lathering bowl. It’s ceramic and it got slippery a couple times and almost dropped it. This got me thinking is there the same bowl that won’t break and maybe stay warm? Well I looked up Captains Choice products and found this beautiful copper lathering bowl. While I was poking around I also saw this lovely synthetic brush that matched the bowl neatly. I have to give Scott @Captain Pre-Capsize a shout out because the shipping was immediate, his communication was great, and the products are very high quality. I can’t say enough about how happy I am with my transaction. Thanks for the personalized note too Captain!
View attachment 1832745View attachment 1832746View attachment 1832747
Scott really is a nice man and has wonderful products. I’ve often admired his brush handle designs….The one you selected is beautiful.

I went unrestrained some more…I ordered two more razors and they came in on Wednesday and Thursday this week, I’ve just been working a lot so I haven’t been on in a couple days.
I got the Blackland Blackbird Lite and the Yates 921-M. I truly like them both and I don’t think I could pick one over the other. They both look & feel wonderful and shave beautifully! I did find the 4" Yates handle to be a tad long for my liking so I swapped it with the Merica 3.5" handle and now it's perfect for me! Check these out:
IMG_4166.jpeg
IMG_4159.jpeg
IMG_4141.jpeg
image3.jpeg
IMG_4146.jpeg

I went unrestrained some more…I ordered two more razors and they came in on Wednesday and Thursday this week, I’ve just been working a lot so I haven’t been on in a couple days.
I got the Blackland Blackbird Lite and the Yates 921-M. I truly like them both and I don’t think I could pick one over the other. They both look & feel wonderful and shave beautifully! I did find the 4" Yates handle to be a tad long for my liking so I swapped it with the Merica 3.5" handle and now it's perfect for me! Check these out:
View attachment 1835769View attachment 1835770View attachment 1835771View attachment 1835955View attachment 1835773
You have already gone to Blackland territory? Wow you must have fallen deeply into the rabbit hole. Some very nice razors there.

I let loose a bit this month. I’ve spent the last two years diligently running down my software supplies following the initial B&B splurge. I got down to just a few items and decided it was time to restock some favorites; AdP, MdC Vetyver and Speick Cream. A 7-8 count soap rotation feels like a good number to me.

I even threw in a Simpson PJ1 SiLVERTiP for old times sake. I have a nice stable of brushes but the Chubbies are not getting used. It’s time to phase them out for loftier varieties that will see some action.

I too have gone on a bit of a splurge this month. Blackland Sabre, RazoRock Aluminum Hawk (thanks Rudy V!) and Everette Soap and Splash and Tobacconist from H.O.M that was just this week. For the rest of the month I think it was 8 soaps, 2 other razors, and 1000 blades between Perma-Sharp, Personna, and AccuForge. Also 2 brushes. I think I need to join the May restraint!

Agree this is a dangerous thread but I like it. 🤔🤣

It’s where apocalyptic kind of guys acquiring stocks for the next decade.

I used to just put my stuff here and there. Now I ask my wifey to clear some of her stuff and give me my own den. Could not believe den is now full in less than 2 months of shaving.

Remind me again, where is that part supposedly where I can save $$$ if I switch to DE shaving? I got lost and fell to that same rabbit hole you guys are in. 🤔🤣

Last edited:
Yeah this month has hit me pretty hard too! I landed a GC to try out before dropping a ton on an Osprey Ti, ordered my 2nd brush from Rudy Vey to give real badger a try, and I finally decided to try out some seaforth AS samples... which led me to acquire almost the entire lineup from Spearhead after liking all of the scents very much! I'm trying to hold back from buying the EDTs and the missing Heather soap and AS, but I don't think this will last!

Top Bottom