What's new

The Merica Razor from WSC & YPM....

Another shave with the 'Merica razor

SOTD 03312021.jpg

It is comfortable for sure but I still want a bit more efficiency from it. Pairing with a 5th use Nacet blade didn't help and I had to buff quite a bit today. I'll be trying out a fresh blade tomorrow for a better judgement. Continuing to practice this razor...

I’ve been using the merica regularly for the past month or so and this is what I have observed:
It’sa mild razor but you have to still be careful. Don’t under estimate the mildness because it can mess up your face. I’ve got mean old nicks from that bad boy.
The merica razor will take the grain right down very well.
The end result you can get is on par with most top of the line razors. Sure the feel and performance may be different from a more lux razor, but it does the job and does it well. You just have to learn the tool and you will reap its benefits.

People mentioned and some disliked the “gripping/ pulling like” aspect to it. It certainly is different, but I enjoy this. That being said, don’t get careless- you just have to be very careful. For the price point it’s a great razor. The tatra blades that come with it are decent for sure. I will go back to them now and then. I had to force myself to like the Tatra, but I don’t need to do that anymore, their a decent blade ( just not the best) which is subjective and unique to the shaver. If I’m seeking a mild shave that day and still get the job done, I’ll throw on a Tatra, willingly.

Last edited:
The 'Merica (left) and Winning (right) both look like they have solid blade clamping. The 'Merica looks as close or perhaps even a bit closer to the edge.

View attachment 1481883
Congrats! Hope it serves you well.
I had both Merica and Winning (2 times actually), as well as the original 921-M which is my main razor.

Merica in geometry (gap, clamp), efficiency and comfort to me is a carbon copy of 921-M - though they have a slightly different design, I couldn't find any perceivable difference in shave result. The only difference is that is doesn't have switchable plates and the YPM plates don't really fit. With a -20% coupon that makes Merica half the price of 921-M - great deal!

Winning is same but different - completely different shave feel (more guided and safe akin to Henson "light"), but the same result s Merica and 921-M plate. I kept going between the two, even ordered Winning again, but ultimately decided that I prefer the more regular feel of the 921-M and Merica.

viber_image_2020-12-05_18-04-102.jpg

viber_image_2020-12-05_18-04-11.jpg

viber_image_2020-12-05_14-34-45.jpg

If you are thinking about getting a 'Merica, it seems to be on closeout for $70. Get it while you can. I got one on the July 4th sale, which was not as good a deal as this. $70 for an all stainless USA-made by Yates razor is a terrific deal. The Winning razor sold out and appears to not be coming back.

They changed the price of that one just before the sale ended - I had one in the cart and it was $55 and change. Never ordered it though. I think someone mentioned that in the winning razor thread, and speculation there was that it is to be price competitive with some other companies offerings.

Their social media posts just say it’s new pricing for the ‘Merica, vs explicitly stating they are phasing out the winning razor.

Anyone know of any good discount codes for the W.S.C. Merica razor. It will be perfect for my dad. He is turning 93, very active , shaves every day. Not only is he my hero. Vet, Bronze star medal... I am thinking of getting two razors (one for me also). I have a 10% one, just wondering if there is a higher discount percent because I am also added some shave acessories.. be great and Thanks ....Shave Free or Die!

Hey All, anyone know if the Yates 921 base plates (M,H..) are compatible with the Merica (cap)? Appears they only sale the base plates and not the caps? Cheers ...& Shave like you never shaved before......

You can maybe email jake Yates. But on the Yates site there is no mention of post processing for as machined after a quick scan. That and the cost is lowest.

Had my Merica weeks now. Got one also for my dad. Guess the apple does not fall far from the tree. We are both on the same opinion with it. Nice balance, bit too mild for us. Yes we tried Feathers. Kai....It a good clean up razor. For our daily growth it not efficient for us. Guess we stick with our slants. Funny, it is also normal for both of us to use two razors during our shaves. Goal is usually two passes for us. Adding some minor clean up around the large italian meatball mouths...BFX

A good and easy shave with the Merica. A simple no frills shaving tool that does exactly what it was designed to do. And that is to provide a no hassle and near thoughtless shave. Voyage from Grooming Dept provided excellent suds and the Bic Chrome Platinum the sharpness required to slice and slice whiskers. Nice shaver that is easy & fun to use. Heck of a bargain when it was available.

Great shaves to all….

53F0261C-86FF-4C17-98D4-8D45B8A15AC6.jpeg

Top Bottom