What's new

The Association of Yates Owners - AYO

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
What do you think about Wolfman waiting list for months? I know it's different but effectively you wait or can't buy them. Same here. Looks like they have enough orders and people ready to wait what is for me nice sign of quality and good price. Demand is much higher as offer..
You know what you're getting into with Wolfman. You don't with Yates.

If Yates said on their website that lead times were approaching 4/6/12 months, fine. I wouldn't complain.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Wolfman doesn't take your money until they start building your razor.

If Yates said on their website that lead times were approaching 4/6/12 months, fine. I wouldn't complain.
Just ask refund. I think there is no problem with it. I was in same situation with Karve and Bison and finally I decided to wait because it will be not different in future and I want Bison razor to try. But I ask my bank for refund of payment for second Overlander, I don't have to have 2 of them.

Yates is on my list to try so I will wait also if takes years. Same as 1st Overlander or 1st Athena or Ares or any of my first Wolfmans.
Also, unless I'm mistaken, Wolfman doesn't take your money until they start building your razor.
Yes you are right. But look at their prices, they can live probably with producing dozen razors every month or less.. Yates is very fair with pricing considering high demand..

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Just ask refund. I think there is no problem with it. I was in same situation with Karve and Bison and finally I decided to wait because it will be not different in future and I want Bison razor to try. But I ask my bank for refund of payment for second Overlander, I don't have to have 2 of them.

Yates is on my list to try so I will wait also if takes years. Same as 1st Overlander or 1st Athena or Ares or any of my first Wolfmans.

Yes you are right. But look at their prices, they can live probably with producing dozen razors every month or less.. Yates is very fair with pricing considering high demand..
My requests for order cancel/refund were ignored. That is what prompted my initial post.

But to be honest I was born in country where at that time you have to wait hours to be able to buy couple bananas one time in years for example... Today we are used to buy everything immediately what we want, but that can also changes in future. For me best think are rare and difficult to obtain, it makes it even more interesting 🤣

I just tried to put an open comb brass M plate in my Yates cart. All brass baseplates show sold out.

Yates makes their own razor (921), the ‘Merica now, and the Drakkant for Alysworth. Seems like they should prioritize their own product over the others.

What do you think about Wolfman waiting list for months? I know it's different but effectively you wait or can't buy them. Same here. Looks like they have enough orders and people ready to wait what is for me nice sign of quality and good price. Demand is much higher as offer..

I think you ID the problem with Wolfman, Demand is higher then Supply. Plus apparently it is not a big operation with 10, or 15 people building Razors. Need ramp up production, just hire more apprentices, train, and go 20 hours in 2, 10 hour shift up from one. Hard part is in 2024 finding people who will apply for training, then show on day one, and then not quit after they see the job is work. Plus because they are going to be running machine, many will not m qk3 cut because their into living high oh=n drugs.

Today I received my 921-m BYOR in bead blast SS with a brass scalloped base plate, my initials engraved on the top cap and a Winning handle. It's a beautiful razor, feels well balanced, and I had a great shave this evening with it. It took 2 months to arrive from the time I ordered it. Jake Yates responded promptly to my emails and the "Where is my Order" page on their site kept me up to date. The main delay was due to a screw up on the part of their stainless steel supplier plus they are a two person business--Jake and Ashley. I'm very happy with the razor and happy to support a small family business.
47770DCF-4A46-4827-B9E9-3DD6AA548463_4_5005_c.jpeg

I think you ID the problem with Wolfman, Demand is higher then Supply. Plus apparently it is not a big operation with 10, or 15 people building Razors. Need ramp up production, just hire more apprentices, train, and go 20 hours in 2, 10 hour shift up from one. Hard part is in 2024 finding people who will apply for training, then show on day one, and then not quit after they see the job is work. Plus because they are going to be running machine, many will not m qk3 cut because their into living high oh=n drugs.
I would never do something similar. Now is perfect for artisan producers, same as for artists, you create something and there are always buyers waiting, you sell in seconds and can produce next piece of art how fast do you want, don't have to pay employers and only looking if they can deliver quality and be fast.. it is like dream work not massive production under pressure…

Just got 2 Yates in the other day, the Merica and the Winner. I tried both of them and can't say one is better than the other yet, both are fantastic shavers and now my favorites. I don't have a lot to compare them with yet since I am only about a couple months in but I had the best shaves ever with the Yates! The Merica shown here:
Merica3.jpg

I first learned about Yates razors because I heard about the original Winning razor from "Wet Shaving Club". WSC (which has since been purchased by Yates) was a U. S. business based in Texas that sold DE razors and other supplies.

Before Yates bought WSC, WSC had contracted with Yates to manufacture the Winning and Merica razors. I got the original Winning from WSC and liked it very well. A Merica showed up here for sale on B&B so I grabbed it, and found it to be a great razor for me as well.

Based on my positive experiences with the "original" Winning and Merica razors made by Yates, I decided to get their "flagship" 921 razor with the "H" plate. For me it's the best performing razor I have tried.

Suffice it to say that I'm a fan of Yates razors. For those who might be frustrated by long wait times, keep in mind that Yates is a small (as in 2 people, Jake and his wife) business. They have done a nice job in providing order status information on their web site to keep customers informed of progress. To me, the quality and workmanship of Yates razors are worth the wait.

Just got 2 Yates in the other day, the Merica and the Winner. I tried both of them and can't say one is better than the other yet, both are fantastic shavers and now my favorites. I don't have a lot to compare them with yet since I am only about a couple months in but I had the best shaves ever with the Yates! The Merica shown here:View attachment 1825753
Very nice! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do my Yates!

Top Bottom