What's new

Active Yates Users QQ

Are any of you other Yates users experiencing this? I have found that my 921's perform exceptionally well with the sharpest of blades. For example, in any of my other razors, a Kai Stainless is quite a vicious animal, but as soon as I pop it into my 921, it's exceptionally smooth. I use Nacet and Feather routinely in all my razors, but in my 921, they just feel different.

Reactions: Kix
Are any of you other Yates users experiencing this? I have found that my 921's perform exceptionally well with the sharpest of blades. For example, in any of my other razors, a Kai Stainless is quite a vicious animal, but as soon as I pop it into my 921, it's exceptionally smooth. I use Nacet and Feather routinely in all my razors, but in my 921, they just feel different.
Word on the block in my time around here is sharp blades seem to work really well in a mild razor and a mild blade for an aggressive razor...

Word on the block in my time around here is sharp blades seem to work really well in a mild razor and a mild blade for an aggressive razor...
In my case, I'm using an OC EH (.127 gap) with my 921. All my razors are pretty aggressive.

In my case, I'm using an OC EH (.127 gap) with my 921. All my razors are pretty aggressive.
Now that's something you don't here every day!! I've never used a Yate's in any iteration but have been intrigued by them. I am a Ti Blackbird user and find blades like Feather I can shave with them but have to be very careful and keep my mind in the game but with a Perma-Sharp, Shark SS/SC/Plat, or Silver Star I can be very wreckless in my shave and not pay the consequences for it. Anyway it's good to hear your getting great shaves with it though!!

Nope, I didn't find Yates razors perform as well in efficiency to blade feel as Aylsworth, Karve, Charcoal or Henson so far. I returned the 921 and currently underwhelmed by the Winning2.

Not sure of the overall point but yes for me also I prefer sharper blades in general also .
But again, we all different ( YMMV) plus sometimes some safety razors work better ( for the user) with certain blades.
Different faces, skin, stubble - thickness - density - direction -growth.
Now you may know, Ron ( great guy - super info he shares) has many threads showing why the Kai has more of a bite. Well - bit wider blade - more blade exposure.

Now my view is that the gap is just one factor, it is the combo of all these factors into the design that makes a razor mild, medium, aggressive or efficient (or both - or combos) .
Blade angle, blade exposure, razors bar (OC / SB) - minor but a small factor, head tolerances, blade clamping/ rigidity, blade used ( as you stated), weight & material used, and the user skills ...all come into play here.

And again one man's aggressive could just be one man's efficient.
I have always been on the side of: know and use the best tool for the job.
One days of growth, two, five ...a week...
Take care of your face and enjoy the shave!

Happy you have found what works best for.
That is a name of game...

BFX

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Not sure where to ask, so, here I am.

What has your experience with responsiveness from Yates been? I ordered the wrong razor and requested cancellation after I re-ordered the proper one. I have sent three emails to them over the last several days and have not been acknowledged. I have been charged for both razors.

Based on this lack of response, I am tempted to cancel the second order as well. For a small company, their lack of attention to customers seems quite poor.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto

What has your experience with responsiveness from Yates been? I ordered the wrong razor and requested cancellation after I re-ordered the proper one. I have sent three emails to them over the last several days and have not been acknowledged. I have been charged for both razors.

Based on this lack of response, I am tempted to cancel the second order as well. For a small company, their lack of attention to customers seems quite poor.
Odd. Within 30 minutes of posting this, I received responses from Jake at Yates. Adding this reply since I’m unable to delete the original post.

That is odd. I've emailed a few times over the last year and have always gotten a response within 24 hours.

Reactions: Kix
Nope, I didn't find Yates razors perform as well in efficiency to blade feel as Aylsworth, Karve, Charcoal or Henson so far. I returned the 921 and currently underwhelmed by the Winning2.

Which plate/plates of the Yates 921 have you tried? If it was only the M plate, then it does make sense. I've tried the Drakkant with the plus plate, Karve Overlander, Charcoal Goods gen 2 and gen 3 with level 3 plates and Henson aggressive and only the CG with the level 3 plates come close to my Yates 921 with the EH scalloped bar plate in terms of efficiency, but I find the latter overall a much better shaver.

What is it about the Winning 2 that you don't like? I was able to get a very lightly used Winning 2 from a member here, but haven't used it yet. I just started using the Henson mild and think it provides an amazing shave, so I'm going to probably experiment with different blades on the Henson before I try out the Winning 2.

i really like a Nacet
in my 921 Brass OC H
I also have good luck with the Nacet. That is a blade that I do not like in any other razor I have tried it in. I have had such surprising success with the Kai in the 921 H OC. I had completely given up on that blade over the years. It works very well in my current configuration.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
That is odd. I've emailed a few times over the last year and have always gotten a response within 24 hours.
Yeah, looking at jobs in queue on their website, they must be absolutely swamped with work. No clue when my razor will be completed, but, I’m really looking forward to it!

I hope Yates is worth waiting for. Ordered 921-H with Stubby handle in Ti on Feb 3rd and still in Queue..
price for Ti is very competitive. I'm surprised it is so little about Yates here on forum, can be best bang for buck and looks like Karve for example (or Henson) is much more popular here.. wonder why

I hope Yates is worth waiting for. Ordered 921-H with Stubby handle in Ti on Feb 3rd and still in Queue..
price for Ti is very competitive. I'm surprised it is so little about Yates here on forum, can be best bang for buck and looks like Karve for example (or Henson) is much more popular here.. wonder why
I used a Stainless 921 OC H for quite a while. Last year I switched to a Ti 921 and haven't looked back. In my opinion, it is the best razor I have ever used!

I don't know about the OC version, but the scalloped EH plate has ruined my taste for razors. I used to consider the EH just as good as the Blackbird with the standard plate, but after using my Yates for a long time now, I find the Blackbird and pretty much any other razor in my collection as super mild and not very efficient and that's both good and bad for me.

Top Bottom