What's new

The Association of Yates Owners - AYO

I'm a new guy here on B&B and new to wet shaving. I started with a Ralf Aust SR, but soon realized this was a bit of a reach. I bought a Goodfellas' Smile Bayonetta to use on my head and to touch up my face after the SR - I mean really touch up after the SR shave. I like the Bayonetta but I've heard so many good things about the Yates Winning, I think it might the choice for me for a head shaving razor. I also like the fact that it's family operation here in the USA. So, I pulled the trigger and I'm on the one to three week waiting list.
Welcome, I’m still new here as well. B&B is great and I love my Yates razors! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too. Here’s my Winning and Merica razors both phenomenal. If I had to say (I’m no expert but based on personal experience) the Winning razor is a tad milder than the Merica but again both are premo in my book.

IMG_4167.jpegIMG_4168.jpeg

Today was a shave day, so I thought I would try out my new 921 Ti H SB plate and do a comparison shave with my 921 SS H scalloped base plate.

The SS does seem to retain a little more water than the Ti plate. I had not noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out. The SS H was a fraction more efficient but that would be expected as the scalloped plate has a little more blade exposure than the solid bar and the SS weighs more than the Ti (18.3g vs 10g). Both gave an excellent shave. The extra water retention of the SS may have made it glide a little better with the lather I had. I am sure slicker lather would have removed any difference in this department.

Out of curiosity, I weighed my other 921 top caps and plates and thought I would post them for others who are considering different metals:
SS top cap vs. Ti top cap (15.3g vs. 8.7g)
SS M scalloped vs. Ti M solid bar (19.1g vs. 11.5g)
SS H scalloped vs Ti H solid bar (18.3g vs 10g)
Ti H OC 9.6g
SS EH solid bar 17.9g
The original brass hybrid plate (M geometry according to Jake) 20.5g
I'm glad someone else can feel the water retention. It's slight, but I know I feel it.

Top Bottom