Razor:
J. A. Henckels
Razor: KBG Grande
Blade: Van Der Hagen (6)
Brush: Mistura
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Layrite No9
View attachment 1508691
After spending some time on a hard black ark, the edge on the Henckels was noticeably smoother on my face, and I was able to shave my neck also.

After the first WTG pass with the Henckels my face was pretty smooth, but I missed a lot of spots on my neck, so I grabbed my KBG Grande to finish the shave.

There wasn't much stubble left on my face for another WTG pass, but that didn't stop me as I let the Grande just glide over my cheeks and start to pick up some feedback as I rounded my jawline.
Not much feedback mind you, the Henckels did get most of the stubble while leaving no red stuff in the lather.

Since there was so little stubble left for the second WTG pass, I felt a need for a third pass, all ATG all the way, and I'm telling you it was all bliss, all the way.

I couldn't feel the Witch hazel or the Layrite, and the Nivea balm just soaked into a very smooth face and neck.

The combination of a Van Der Hagen blade in my KBG Grande and a sharper edge on my Henckels made skipping Fatip Friday and making it a Fatip Saturday all the worth while.

Earlier in the day I took my daughter to Hobby Lobby to get some beads, paint, string, some other odds and ends, and I grabbed this fountain pen as I haven't used one since probably the 3rd or 4th grade and needed another rabbit hole to look into.
View attachment 1508692
Yeah, I know it's not a Parker 51, but I ain't the Queen of England.

~doug~

Grade school back in the day... one day you're getting ink all over the place screwing around with your cheapie fountain pen. Then Bic happens and you're pulling out the point and reservoir to make an excellent spit-wad blowgun. Kids these days... they're missing out on the ink floods.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Grade school back in the day... one day you're getting ink all over the place screwing around with your cheapie fountain pen. Then Bic happens and you're pulling out the point and reservoir to make an excellent spit-wad blowgun. Kids these days... they're missing out on the ink floods.
Don't forget dipping girl's pigtails in the inkwells, and using the broken tines from you're comb as projectiles with a rubber band slingshot. I once nailed a fly to the ceiling with one. True doggone story.

~doug~

Don't forget dipping girl's pigtails in the inkwells

My mother-in-law claims her pigtails were dipped. But she was out of college before I got anywhere near any of my inkwell-free school desks. I'm a young guy!

I suppose I could have taken a shot at some pigtails with one of those fountain pens with the filling/firing lever on the side, but the ink cartridge type was invented to suppress that sort of innocent boyish fun.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD- “Anglophile Week”.

Razor:
Geneva Cutlery #35
Razor: English Tech
Blade: Van Der Hagen (7)
Brush: 2022 Contributor's Brush
Soap: Mystery Bowl
ASL: the "Veg"
20220826_162259[1].jpg

I only used #35 on my cheeks and around my jawline, but the edge was as comfortable as I remember. According to my notes from two years ago I used my Norton 4k/8k then pasted balsa. All I have done to it since then is to strop it.

A single WTG pass on both sides, left side first, right side second, then I set the Geneva down and picked up my English Tech for a single ATG pass with some freestyling on my neck.

It was totally comfortable, neither razor tugging or pulling, and a few times I almost checked the Tech to see if the blade was in there it was soooo smooth. There are a few stragglers on the left side of my neck, but it's good enough and Bob's your uncle.

I'm beginning to think this Van Der Hagen(7) blade might just become my favorite, it gets better with each shave.

The Mystery Bowl is a conglomeration of MWF, RR Fougere, and MdC Rose. I find it really mutes the MdC Rose scent to acceptable levels, the lather is wonderful and slick, and leaves my skin feeling wonderful.

The Witch hazel, and "Veg" went on without any drama, and the Nivea balm left me supple and smooth.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Single Edge September
SOTD

Razor:
Feather Professional AC SS
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Omega Silver Tip
Soap: 1912 Club Cola
ASL: Layrite No9
Pen: Platinum Preppy, black

For my fist shave of Single Edge September I went with my Feather AC Pro and it was a wonderful shave.
20220906_092205[1].jpg

Ten days of whiskers gone in a few easy strokes, the guarded blade just letting me know it was there.
For those wondering how this razor compares to an actual straight razor, it is supremely easy to use. Not that I'm an expert with an SR.
I used a little alum on my fingers for a better grip like I do with an SR, but really didn't need it.
Very well built, easy to take apart, clean and re-assemble for the next shave, this could easily be a Daily Driver, it makes me wonder why I don't reach for it more often.

I started the shave trimming my goatee first, then shaving the rest of my neck basically WTG before moving on to my face.
One pass was plenty close enough for Bob's Uncle, but I wanted to do a few touch-ups and ended up making a complete second pass, all WTG except for a sideways sideburn trimming pass.

My black Omega Silvertip is one of my favorite brushes, and it really delivered a great lather today, yeah, it was a nice relaxing, almost morning shave.

Before I retired, I worked from 5am-1:30pm in the afternoon, and California state law requires workers to take a lunch within 5 hours of starting their shift. Since my lunch time was from 9:30am-10:00am, I guess you could call this a Brunch Shave.

With the temps still hovering in the triple digits here in the IE, I haven't heard from the concrete guy yet this week and I think he is waiting for it to cool some before starting to dig up my sideyard, the last three days I saw 106F on my outdoor thermometers.

I did cook steaks on the outdoor grill yesterday, but spent most of the weekend inside watching racing cars go around in circles, road courses, and some going 335mph in less than 3.7 seconds... 11,000 horsepower on nitro, yeah baby.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Single Edge Vintage SEptember
Homage to the Queen
SOTD

Razor:
Real Old English Razor
Brush: Simpson PJ2
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla

In Homage to the Queen of England I broke out my Grandfather's Real Old English Razor and whipped up a luxurious Wickham's lather with my Simpson PJ2.
20220909_093125[1].jpg

I had my non-open to clean Schick E2 as a back-up in deference to the new King of England, as my only other English razors are of the DE variety, but it wasn't needed.

Long Live the King

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
How are the home remodeling projects coming along? I hope everything is moving ahead on schedule.
The contractor stopped by Thursday night and told me he was planning on starting work this coming Monday. I'm not sure about the thunderstorm that just started rolling through, as he is schedule to be pouring a job tomorrow and the rain will probably prevent that.

It feels like the tropics here, the ground is so hot from the heat spell it is staying dry while it is raining.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The contractor stopped by Thursday night and told me he was planning on starting work this coming Monday. I'm not sure about the thunderstorm that just started rolling through, as he is schedule to be pouring a job tomorrow and the rain will probably prevent that.

It feels like the tropics here, the ground is so hot from the heat spell it is staying dry while it is raining.

~doug~
We're in the tropics and it's probably cooler here. ;)

I hope he gets there Monday.... maybe the dry ground will soak all the rain quickly and he'll get his pour in.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Vintage SEptember SOTD

Razor:
Schick E2
Blade: Schick (1)
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
ASL: Pinaud Clubman
20220912_153355[1].jpg
20220912_153355[1].jpg

After edging, mowing, pulling weeds, and sweeping up this morning and mid-afternoon, I jumped into the shower and had time to get a shave in before picking up the kids from school.

It has been over two years since I last used this E2, and it was a pleasure to shave with today. Intuitive, efficient, and smooth, one WTG pass was all I needed to get on with the rest of the day.

It was a Damn Comfortable Shave, the Shavemac felt wonderful and the 1912 Club Cola lather was spot on, I might just use this kit again this month.

I might add that the Joseph Rogers shave was much closer than I had expected, the near wedge silently eliminating everything in it's path.
I used it gingerly, as when I was stropping it just before the shave I heard and felt a tell-tell click and noticed one of the scales had broken at the pivot. They were only 120 years old, now my Grandfather's razor will get new scales before it gets used again.

The contractor that is doing the concrete work on our side and back yard called me on Sunday, told me that he was planning on starting the project this Tuesday. He stopped by this afternoon and confirmed the work is starting tomorrow at 7AM, with the concrete pour scheduled for Saturday.

I'm gonna have a place to park the 'stang!!!

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
After breaking concrete and grading since Monday we had our first pour on Saturday. First was a new front porch that is slated to have an Alumawood patio cover.
20220917_081500[1].jpg20220917_095504[1].jpg
20220917_171022[1].jpg20220917_171106[1].jpg

Then we poured a 10' x 10' pad for WhichyPoo's SheShed.
20220917_171419[1].jpg
Then new curbs with a 70' long pool deck drain was poured next to the brick wall to catch the water and mud that leaks water all over my driveway when the neighbor's wife leaves the water running on a way too regular basis.
20220917_171141[1].jpg20220917_171319[1].jpg
I might add the next door neighbor's rent the house from the guy's father, he has lived there since he was 5 years old, and is completely unapologetic about the water leakage problem. I didn't notice the brick wall leaking until several weeks after we moved in, and initially thought there was a water leak in the neighbor's plumbing, but when I went over to tell them about it I saw the water hose was just left on, so I knocked on the door and asked them to turn it off.

Repeatedly.

They always seemed perturbed when I would politely ask them to turn their water off, and it wasn't until I actually stood across the street taking pictures and video until the wife came out and saw me that she stopped her daily ritual of flooding my property after her husband went to work.
I might add there had been a verbal confrontation I had with the guy about 6 months ago when I came home and water was running across my entire driveway, and running down the street. His wife videotaped it on her cellphone as I loudly yelled at them to stop damaging my property, calling them immature and inconsiderate. He told me at the time there was nothing I could do about it and would keep it up, and I told them to go ahead and post the video so that the world could see what kind of people they were.
Two days later the guy came over and made an attempt at apologizing as I was hosing off a bunch of dirt he had swept from the front of his house all over my driveway.
20220726_092846[1].jpg20220726_092818[1].jpg
This is what my driveway looks like when the inconsiderate neighbors leave their water running. I can't pull into my garage without tracking water and mud inside.

After removing the concrete from the sideyard it was evident the neighbors have been overwatering for decades as there were three separate layers of concrete that previous owners of our house had poured to try and eliminate the problem to no avail.
I'm really not sure how the previous homeowners put up with this, but I am fixing the problem for good, and will be just as unapologetic when I fire up the 'stang and do burnouts on my new 125' launching pad on a regular basis.

Monday we start breaking up the driveway.
20220917_171531[1].jpg

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wishing you success with your inconsiderate neighbors.
Thanks. I'm also putting up a fence between our front yards, because, "Good fences make good neighbors."

When we were yelling at each other, the guy actually accused me of doing the same thing to my neighbor on the other side, so I said "Let's go talk to him right now, I turned off my automatic sprinklers when I moved in to prevent to prevent that from happening. I'm not that neighbor, YOU ARE."

I might mention when I was introducing myself to the rest of the neighbors up and down the street after moving in, they all said my next-door-neighbors very anti-social.

~doug~

Congrats on the current progress. Looking good.

I'm baffled why your neighbor just leaves the water hose running. If they're on city water, that's just running up the bill, right? I'm in the country with a bored well and would never subject my submerged water pump to unnecessary abuse. To my view, every time the pump kicks on is more wear and tear. Not to mention making a mess on your property. It's just sad some humans have zero respect towards others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom