What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The track dragging equipment is a little more sophisticated at Irwindale.
20210411_085801.jpg

Track workers put a compound of rosin called "Gold Dust" down to increase traction. This means wheelies.
20210411_105032.jpg

Today they are running Jr. Dragsters for ages under 16 yrs.
20210411_104933.jpg

Girls race too!
20210411_102604.jpg

The engines run on alcohol and start out as 5 hp Briggs and Straton's. Lots of modifications.
20210411_104801.jpg

Oh yeah, the big cars get to race too!
20210411_104736.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Ok, for the final race report I am happy to say that I went one more round of competition today, than I did yesterday. The Volt ran better than ever, my final run of the day was a 9.773 second run at 70.45 mph, the quickest and fastest that it has ever run. Unfortunately, the driver was not on his game, and quickly became a spectator.
It is like fishing, they don't call it catching.

I did, however manage to pick two of the winners. Both the yellow 2011 Z16 Corvette and the pink Jr Dragster with the girl driver standing next to it, that I took pictures of BEFORE they made their first runs down the track won their respected classes.
Girls race too!
20210411_102604.jpg
Oh yeah, the big cars get to race too!
20210411_104736.jpg

The Corvette was an easy pick because I have known the driver since 1987, and he is a pretty good driver. The Jr Dragster was just a random pick, never seen the car or driver before.

The high point of the day was when I saw my old friend Chad, at the track with one of his grandsons, that just happened to also win in his Jr Dragster class. Chad, a pretty good dragracer in his own right, took me under his wing when I first started racing at OCIR in 1974, and taught me some of the finer points of the dragracing game. He was telling me how he and his son Shawn had been giving his grandson tips on how to race. Chad's son Shawn drives a Top Fuel Dragster for a living, so I guess it runs in the family.

The best part of seeing Chad is that he had a liver transplant 2 years ago and is doing great!!!
He had to move to N. Carolina to get the new liver, and just moved back to California, this is the first time that I have talked to him since he was diagnosed with the same hereditary defect that took the life of his brother 6 years ago.

I think I am gonna need a shave tomorrow!

He had to move to N. Carolina to get the new liver, and just moved back to California, this is the first time that I have talked to him since he was diagnosed with the same hereditary defect that took the life of his brother 6 years ago.

I think I am gonna need a shave tomorrow!

Small miracles happen daily in transplant medicine... I hope everyone says “yes” to donation at the DMV. [emoji3590]

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Monday, April 12
AFFCC #4

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Omega 10290
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
ASL: Aqua Velva
ASB: Nivea balm

After two days racing my Volt at two different tracks, taking the kids to school was a breeze. They just started on a 5 day schedule this week, but only half days for now. That means about an hour after dropping the kids off at school, I go back and pick them up.
I am happy they are back in school, and being retired really helps. I can't imagine how much trouble this is for families that both parents work.

I only did a 2 and a 1/2 mile walk today, as I did plenty of walking around in the pits over the weekend, and I was looking forward to having a nice relaxing shower and shave.

The economy kit held up on its end, and a nice comfortable shave was had.

For a tease my R41 with my favorite @Rosseforp handle, and my Tortoise Handle Omega.
20210412_224012[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, April 14
AFFCC #5

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)

I have been getting so much extra lather with the Vitos I only gave the brush 10 light swirls in the tub, then built a mediocre lather in the bowl, and finished building the lather on my face. It hydrated very well and away I went with the DE1 with just enough for two quick N-S passes.

Did I hear someone mention the nice thing about SE razors is the lack of blade choices? :cornut:
My tease for the day is my ATT SE1 with aluminum baseplate, @Rosseforp Ti handle, and Schick Proline blades.

I cleaned up the kit, splashed on the Aqua Velva, rubbed in some Nivea balm and popped in a movie. Well, I hit the DVR button. Columbiana. Good movie.
20210414_224413[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thursday, April 15
AFFCC #6

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)

Tonight's shave was marvelous. Every little thing in the kit came together for a Close Comfortable Shave.
As @Raven Koenes says, this razor performs way above it's price point.

20 swirls of a damp Omega 10290 in the tub of Vitos and a generous amount of water in the mixing bowl provided a perfectly hydrated and slick lather for a full ATG first pass.
The razor is so mild I could almost not feel the blade, but there was plenty of audible feedback.
The second pass was XTG followed by a final ATG cleanup pass with mostly ghost lather and water.

Without Witch hazel to prepare my face for the ASL splash, the Aqua Velva provided a nice burn 🔥 on contact, then cooling, the Nivea balm soothing.

20210415_202417[1].jpg

My tease of the day is an E2 Schick Injector with Schick blades. It is also a great little razor in it's own right! :cornut:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
For those that have been following along with my DragRacing venues, here is a picture of my friend Chad Langdon standing by the front tires of his grandson Caden Casner's Jr. Dragster in the Winner's Circle. There is $130 cash in that envelope he is holding. Oh yeah, Caden's uncle Shawn Langdon has won championships in a Jr. Dragster, a Super Comp Dragster, a Top Fuel Dragster, and now drives a Top Fuel Dragster for Kalitta Motorsports. The kid has racing genes.
ChadLangdon[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Saturday, April 17
AFFCC #7

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)

Tonight the shave was ok.

The damp Omega mixed a nice lather and first pass was ATG, the Gillette Platinum starting to show some wear.

I could barely feel the blade, but there was plenty of audible feedback and it was starting to tug a bit.
The second pass was XTG face and WTG neck.

The Aqua Velva gave me a blast, the Nivea balm soothed.

I binned the blade.

20210417_185211[1].jpg

It has been awhile since I had an SR shave.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I stopped by Walgreens looking for the new Cremo shaving sticks and found these in their shaving section for $5.99 next to a King C Gillette Razor for $29.95. I already have a Heritage, but grabbed the blades to try. The box says made in Russia.
20210417_185314[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Monday, April 19
AFFCC #8

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: King C Gillette(1)

I decided to try a King C Gillette blade in my DE1 today because it is something that you can find on the shelf of Walgreens. Ten blades for $5.99 is still cheaper that a 5 blade tuck of Feather Hi Stainless, and I don't think you are going to find them in your local grocery store.

The blade was smooth and sharp enough that I didn't notice a weeper on my neck from the first ATG pass on my neck until I was shaving my face. It was more of a dot than a weeper, needing no alum or styptic.

A nice two pass shave was had from the economy kit, and I found a nice tool to get rid of those nasty wax dots on the blades too. An old ipod key for replacing the battery!
20210419_132805[1].jpg

I'm a bit of a curious guy. I'd be obliged if in your next pic, the Vitos tub would be opened and the soap surface visible :blush:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For those that have been following along with my DragRacing venues, here is a picture of my friend Chad Langdon standing by the front tires of his grandson Caden Casner's Jr. Dragster in the Winner's Circle. There is $130 cash in that envelope he is holding. Oh yeah, Caden's uncle Shawn Langdon has won championships in a Jr. Dragster, a Super Comp Dragster, a Top Fuel Dragster, and now drives a Top Fuel Dragster for Kalitta Motorsports. The kid has racing genes.
View attachment 1252152

Nice!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, April 21
AFFCC #9

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: King C Gillette(2)

Another pretty nice shave in the books for the DE1 as it continues to perform above what it's entry level price would suggest.
I'm finding that with a sharp enough blade there is a chance of weepers, as the Russian made King C Gillette blades are definitely sharp. They are also comfortable and smooth, during the shave.
After the shave the Aqua Velva has a more pronounced burn than with the Gillette Platinum blades.
The shave was close, my face is smooth and my neck needs a day off.

I just checked out Maggards has a $31.99 special on a basic DE starter kit, razor, brush, soap, and blades.

20210421_191109[1].jpg

Top Bottom