What's new

The incredible shrinking Wilkinson soap :)

I used this soap maybe 4..5 times, then put it away because I didn't like it, with the lid closed. That was last year. Today I opened it again and the soap has shrunk to about half the size, lol. Before it almost filled out the bowl. Needless to say that soaps usually don't shrink this way. When I look at the ingredients (internet search) the first one is water.

Aqua, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Coconut Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Ethylparaben, Diethylhexyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Alcohol Denat, Dimethicone, Amyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool

w1.jpg
w2.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am only surprised that some enterprising executive has not proposed the idea. Picture the scene..... "We leave out the water and shrink the puck by 75%, saving on packaging and transportation costs. We tell the mugs, sorry customers, it is part of our new green initiative, how much we care for the planet and cuddly animals etc. and that they are intended to rehydrate the soap at home. We want to be better men, sorry people, and so should they, and if they don't then they are not being the best they can. Then, after saving manufacturing costs we raise the product price by 25% to pay for spurious environmental projects. We increase profits and the mugs, sorry customers, can feel smug and sanctimonious, it's a win win!". I should get a job working for Gillette 🤣

I am only surprised that some enterprising executive has not proposed the idea. Picture the scene..... "We leave out the water and shrink the puck by 75%, saving on packaging and transportation costs. We tell the mugs, sorry customers, it is part of our new green initiative, how much we care for the planet and cuddly animals etc. and that they are intended to rehydrate the soap at home. We want to be better men, sorry people, and so should they, and if they don't then they are not being the best they can. Then, after saving manufacturing costs we raise the product price by 25% to pay for spurious environmental projects. We increase profits and the mugs, sorry customers, can feel smug and sanctimonious, it's a win win!". I should get a job working for Gillette 🤣
Hi, love your post - Gillette will never hire you for seeking only a 25% price premium though. Need to charge at least 3 - 4x the original price for what would become "Genuine Old Fashioned Shaving Soap" made to the "classic" recipe. Also naturally one would need to buy the special King C. Gillette shaving brush and bowl to go with it.🤣

I guess it's more lucrative to sell people a lot of water :lol1: I have no other soap that lists aqua as first ingredient, nor have I ever seen a soap shrinking like this - and I have soaps that are more than 30 years old.
Btw, it's Wilkinson not Gillette

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I wish mine had shrunk like that, instead I was forced to 3017 the whole thing. The worst thing about it was that the water was slicker and more protective on its own, the soap made it harder to shave.

You can now use it for hand soap. It's better this way.

They discontinued the Wilkinson Sword soap stick, which was really pretty good stuff. Yet, they continue making the blue bowl, which is not very good stuff.

Ich verstehe nicht.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've got a couple of unopened bowls of this as travel or emergency back up, and the pucks rattle around inside when I have to move them, so it dries whether you have opened them or not.
I've used the dehydrated version and I find it works as well as fresh, and I actually prefer the dried pucks for lathering.
It ain't the best stuff on the market for sure, but it's serviceable soap and works well enough for me.

@NorthernSoul
I didn't know they discontinued the stick, it's much better than the bowl soap and I would have bought it again. If they had filled the stick soap into the bowl they would actually have had a good product.
Not sure if I will keep the soap as hand soap, it really stinks up the bathroom with a chemical smell.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a bowl of this soap and similar thing happened. I use it as a shave stick as it won’t stay in the one place when trying to load the brush. I just pick it up and use it the same as a shave stick.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a bowl of this soap and similar thing happened. I use it as a shave stick as it won’t stay in the one place when trying to load the brush. I just pick it up and use it the same as a shave stick.
I do the same thing for any hard soap that can be removed from its container; for some reason I find they work better that way. Even soaps that I formerly had difficulty lathering seem to be much improved by using them as a stick. Makes no sense, perhaps I imagine it 😆

Top Bottom