What's new

Slickness of PdP Formula

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Lately I've been asked how to properly lather up the PdP soaps and how to make their lather shine. Well, I suggest a very heavy loading until you get a thick, creamy consistency. You must also keep the lather nicely hydrated, using more water than usual. The wetter lather is what allows the slickness to be activated. For me it works like a charm.

Lately I've been asked how to properly lather up the PdP soaps and how to make their lather shine. Well, I suggest a very heavy loading until you get a thick, creamy consistency. You must also keep the lather nicely hydrated, using more water than usual. The wetter lather is what allows the slickness to be activated. For me it works like a charm.
For me it is fairly easy to lather PdP. It works well with badger, boar or synthetic. Many artisan soaps work better with synthetic brushes.

In my opinion synthetic brushes are the best option with hard triple-milled soaps: quick, easy, effective.
I would agree that the synthetic brushes make the best and most consistent lathers, but I enjoy the face feel of the badger and boar brushes significantly more. I rarely use synthetics unless I am trying to save an expensive soap.

I would agree that the synthetic brushes make the best and most consistent lathers, but I enjoy the face feel of the badger and boar brushes significantly more. I rarely use synthetics unless I am trying to save an expensive soap.

Did you know the "official" PdP shaving brush is a boar? That doesn't really seem very French, but it looks like a version of the Omega model 81230.

1694647267095.png

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have a recommendation for my B&B friends who, like me, love Pre de Provence: try La Maison du Savon de Marseille. This is another great hard soap from France, with an ingredients list that is very, very close to PdP - main difference is that PdP uses Shea Butter, while LMdSdM uses Argan Oil. Photo attached below.

20220314_002834.jpg

I have a recommendation for my B&B friends who, like me, love Pre de Provence: try La Maison du Savon de Marseille. This is another great hard soap from France, with an ingredients list that is very, very close to PdP - main difference is that PdP uses Shea Butter, while LMdSdM uses Argan Oil...

Hi Marco, I was wondering if you had ever tried the other La Maison shaving soap scent called Rebel. What is it like (if you know)?

I have done enough shaves with PdP where I am fairly convinced that its performance is as good or better than that of most vegan soaps. Your thoughts and experiences are very much appreciated.

Back in the days a proper vegan soap was difficult to find because a soap maker has to work much harder in order to get the fatty acid ratios down pat. Whatever your thoughts are about tallow: its chemical makeup is already much closer to what you'd ideally want, so it's more a matter of tweaking what is there rather than starting out from the basic materials. But creating a good ratio is not impossible, as illustrated by PdP.

I love PdP to bits. There was a time when my skin didn't agree with it for some reason (and I still don't know why that was), but these days, everything is again right as rain. I've a few tins in my cupboard, including a No. 63 which is warm and woody... but my favourite by far is the original scent, now christened 'Bergamot & Thyme' to distinguish it from No. 63.

There were two other brands, Provence Santé and Institut Karité, which produced very good to excellent vegan soaps. As luck would have it, all contained shea butter in their formulation: not something I'd have considered myself owing to the low 16:0 and high 18:1 fatty acid content (16:0 = 0 double bonds i.e. saturated, 16 carbon atoms) in shea butter. But it seemed to work alright. PS's scent was too overbearing to my liking, so I never used it much; and the almost rosy IK soap has since disappeared, much to my regret.

I've never found PdP difficult to lather, but those tins... ick. I always put a puck in a plastic container with snap-on lid, and this makes loading up much easier since all lather remains in the container.

So, basically, time to stock up good on PdP, especially now that I can afford to do so. It is an evergreen in my very small rotation comprising Tabac (both old and new) and some cream. (Lately I've grown exceedingly impressed with Cyril Salter products. Their Wild Rose is to die for, as is their Sublime Citrus. Better even than TOBS, and that is saying something.) PdP also makes a killer though very rich aftershave balm. I use it but sparingly, when a shave turned out to be particularly bloody; or when dry, cold weather has taken its toll and my skin yearns for a bit of pampering. In these days of climate change, that's no longer as often as it used to, alas.

Back in the days a proper vegan soap was difficult to find because a soap maker has to work much harder in order to get the fatty acid ratios down pat. Whatever your thoughts are about tallow: its chemical makeup is already much closer to what you'd ideally want, so it's more a matter of tweaking what is there rather than starting out from the basic materials. But creating a good ratio is not impossible, as illustrated by PdP.

I love PdP to bits. There was a time when my skin didn't agree with it for some reason (and I still don't know why that was), but these days, everything is again right as rain. I've a few tins in my cupboard, including a No. 63 which is warm and woody... but my favourite by far is the original scent, now christened 'Bergamot & Thyme' to distinguish it from No. 63.

There were two other brands, Provence Santé and Institut Karité, which produced very good to excellent vegan soaps. As luck would have it, all contained shea butter in their formulation: not something I'd have considered myself owing to the low 16:0 and high 18:1 fatty acid content (16:0 = 0 double bonds i.e. saturated, 16 carbon atoms) in shea butter. But it seemed to work alright. PS's scent was too overbearing to my liking, so I never used it much; and the almost rosy IK soap has since disappeared, much to my regret.

I've never found PdP difficult to lather, but those tins... ick. I always put a puck in a plastic container with snap-on lid, and this makes loading up much easier since all lather remains in the container.

So, basically, time to stock up good on PdP, especially now that I can afford to do so. It is an evergreen in my very small rotation comprising Tabac (both old and new) and some cream. (Lately I've grown exceedingly impressed with Cyril Salter products. Their Wild Rose is to die for, as is their Sublime Citrus. Better even than TOBS, and that is saying something.) PdP also makes a killer though very rich aftershave balm. I use it but sparingly, when a shave turned out to be particularly bloody; or when dry, cold weather has taken its toll and my skin yearns for a bit of pampering. In these days of climate change, that's no longer as often as it used to, alas.
I also like the Cyril R Salter Wild Rose very much. I have a small sample of their Sandalwood and the aroma is sublime. I have a hard time deciding whether I prefer the fragrance of the TOBS Sandalwood soap or the CRS Sandalwood cream. Others have also commented on the Provence Santé soap. If I come across it, I will definitely try it!

After using this (the Bergamot and Thyme) for a few months I think I finally have it dialled in. I keep it in the container with the lid sealed between shaves, so the top of the puck always has a little puddle on it. I put the container in the sink, run my dry badger brush under hot water for 30secs and immediately start loading with no shakes or run off at all.

Now, with only 10 light swirls I CAN get enough for a two pass shave. However the consistency is off and it does not shave close. With 20 light swirls I get more than enough and the right lather for a nice shave. Then onto the face to lather up. What's nice is how quick it is, about 30 seconds from unscrewing the lid to ready to shave. And the puck is going to last me forever!

I also like the Cyril R Salter Wild Rose very much. I have a small sample of their Sandalwood and the aroma is sublime. I have a hard time deciding whether I prefer the fragrance of the TOBS Sandalwood soap or the CRS Sandalwood cream. Others have also commented on the Provence Santé soap. If I come across it, I will definitely try it!
I'm another fan of Cyril R Salter like you and @cymric using both their Wild Rose and French Vetiver creams as well as their hard shaving soap. All produce excellent lather. Favorite aroma is the French Vetiver.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
In my +30 years of wet shaving I have tried quite a number of shaving soaps from France, including some of the expensive brands. Well, Pre de Provence, despire its low price point, remains my favourite French soap performance-wise.

There is a plan for visiting New York City next year. Is there any shop I can go to that has PdP ready in stock, my friends?
Brother Marco: by the looks of your photo you started shaving before you were born!

Excellent photo of you my friend.

Top Bottom