What's new

Martin de Candre (MdC) Clones?

MdC has been around a long time. In 2010, @Marco did an excellent introduction with some history, back when it was €34 (currently $37.50) for a 170g tub/pot.

MdC's ingredients for its original soap are fairly simple: Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Aqua, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Parfum, Linalool, Geraniol, Limonene, Eugenol.

After hot saponification, MdC soap undergoes weeks of drying prior to sale.

Since its introduction, I have seen numerous mentions of "clones" of this fabulous and popular formula, and except for Canada Shaving Soap, have yet to see any reach what many consider the top tier status. Why is that? Have all of the clones dissolved over time, like a weak lather?

Last edited:
There are lots of soaps that have adopted the same "premium" approach. Razorock, for example, uses very similar packaging for their top of the line soaps.

If you are referring specifically to their scents, I think most soap makers focus on dupes of well known colognes, as they are far more likely to trigger recognition with theit target market. "Inspired by Rive Gauche" is much more compelling than "Sort of like MdC Fougère"...

Building off of what has already been said I concur and I’ll even add all soap does the same thing , all I need is something slick and a sharp blade , I don’t necessarily even need moisturizing properties in a shave soap because we have aftershave etc. If it’s a romantic artisan history that is attractive , a beautiful scent , luxury display with top tier ingredients , these are all different reasons to buy one soap over another. For me MDC fougere , argumes , and rose stand out for many reasons but the soap performance itself is good. I like the scents and presentation myself.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ignoring branding and marketing, there are two things that distinguish MdC from most, if not all other artisan soaps.

One, it’s really a cream that’s been cured for 6-8 months, aging time according to their website, etc. No other artisan ages their soaps like this. The result is a 200g tub that will last a year or more. This means that it’s reasonably hard but has the full compliment of glycerin from the soap-making process.

Two, being a coconut oil soap, it will lather well in any water.

Canada unscented seems to be a clone of MdC naturel (unscented).

MdC has been around a long time. In 2010, @Marco did an excellent introduction with some history, back when it was €34 (currently $37.50) for a 170g tub/pot.

MdC's ingredients for its original soap are fairly simple: Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Aqua, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Parfum, Linalool, Geraniol, Limonene, Eugenol.

After hot saponification, MdC soap undergoes weeks of drying prior to sale.

Since its introduction, I have seen numerous mentions of "clones" of this fabulous and popular formula, and except for Canada Shaving Soap, have yet to see any reach what many consider the top tier status. Why is that? Have all of the clones dissolved over time, like a weak lather?

Sir Feldgrun, what is your personal experience with MdC??

Sir Feldgrun, what is your personal experience with MdC??

I have 3 samples of MdC, and find it to be a very nice soap. On my first attempt I added too much water and wasn't pleased with the lather. However, with just a little water and using a Simpson synthetic brush, it performed wonderfully.

I'm hoping to find more like it. I have a tub of Canada Shaving Soap & SV (70th, 4.3) on the way, so I'm curious to try them all out and compare.

I have 3 samples of MdC, and find it to be a very nice soap. On my first attempt I added too much water and wasn't pleased with the lather. However, with just a little water and using a Simpson synthetic brush, it performed wonderfully.

I'm hoping to find more like it. I have a tub of Canada Shaving Soap & SV (70th, 4.3) on the way, so I'm curious to try them all out and compare.
Great! So, would you spring for a regular puck of MdC?

MdC, like most if not all shaving soaps and creams, is mainly stearic acid, which is soap. There may be lesser amounts of other similar fatty acids like myristic. Hard soaps usually list a precursor oil/grease like palm oil or tallow which, in the presence of hydroxide, decompose into fatty acids and glycerin. Other less important ingredients may adjust consistency and appearance, plus colouring and scent.

In my experience, MdC is not much different than most other well-known and -regarded shaving products. It certainly doesn’t last longer, this is a persistent myth here. It’s 200g of product that almost certainly doesn’t contain less water than triple-milled soaps, there is no magic.

Hmm. I have a couple MdC samples and while I haven't been keeping track, I know for a fact that I have gotten more shaves out of them than other soaps in the same sized containers and still have quite a bit left.

I'm not over the moon about the soap like some folks are but it's certainly a good soap and seems to act different than any of the other soaps I've tried.

Some distinguishing characteristics of MdC are simple formula, high stearic acid content, coconut oil for rich lather, only potassium hydroxide for alkali, and the long air-curing process giving a very firm texture. I think Canada is the closest you'll find nowadays.

Quite a few artisans were "inspired" by MdC, but don't try to reproduce it exactly. The owner of Wet Shaving Products describes on their website how he made the Rustic soap by following the MdC formula, but adding shea butter and a variety of different fragrances. Le Pere Lucien is like MdC, but with more water in it.

Most of the artisan soaps have a higher water content with a soft texture. They usually add additional ingredients like oils, butters, lanolin, etc. Most of them skip the air curing process and use a mixture of potassium and sodium hydroxide to get the soap finished quickly.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
There’s also Arko.
Arko is a clone of this
41MfU3PtmOL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If you’re in the EU, 3P brick is a close formula and performs very well.The old discontinued ABC hard soap was close, as is the ABC cream which is still available. These soaps will have a better post shave than MdC and are less finicky, but are/were very expensive. All of these are almond scented.

‘Why is that?’

No other artisan is willing to cure their soap for 6-9 months. Selling water at soap prices is very attractive.

MdC, like most if not all shaving soaps and creams, is mainly stearic acid, which is soap. There may be lesser amounts of other similar fatty acids like myristic. Hard soaps usually list a precursor oil/grease like palm oil or tallow which, in the presence of hydroxide, decompose into fatty acids and glycerin. Other less important ingredients may adjust consistency and appearance, plus colouring and scent.

In my experience, MdC is not much different than most other well-known and -regarded shaving products. It certainly doesn’t last longer, this is a persistent myth here. It’s 200g of product that almost certainly doesn’t contain less water than triple-milled soaps, there is no magic.
This is my experience based off the sample of rose I used. Its good, but nothing spectacular. The scent is hands down the best rose scent I've used but the performance or longevity is similar to any other very hard (3 milled etc.) soap I've used. In fact, it creates quite an airy, foamy lather which I attribute to its no frills and frankly quite cheap formulation. Its little better than proraso for me.

Top Bottom