What's new

Barrister and Mann Spice or Reserve Spice

I have the opportunity to purchase a tub of B&M Reserve Spice and found only scant information about this soap. Well, other than the scent which I think I'll like and the ingredient list on the B&M wiki. I will have to wait until the end of this month's GRUME to make the purchase, but I'm a bit reluctant to commit to a full tub unless I can solicit some expert advice from you guys.

B&M Fougere Gothique was in one of my soap samplers and I really loved it; as far as I have seen this one was the Omnibus base. My reservations over the Reserve base would be whether there would be any ingredients which may cause irritation, as the Omnibus base seems to be very different from the Reserve base. Of course this will always be a subjective area as everybody's skin is different.

[From the B&B Barrister and Mann Wiki entry]:
Omnibus:
Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Glycerin, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Kokum Butterate, Sodium Stearate, Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Cocos nucifera Fruit Juice (Coconut Milk), Potassium Ricinoleate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Lactate, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter, Tetrasodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Fragrance, Xanthan Gum, Theobroma grandiflorum (Cupuacu) Butter, Sodium Kokum Butterate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Cocoate, Saccharide Isomerate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Goat Milk Powder, Persea gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Sodium Cocoate, Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow Root) Extract, Ulmus rubra (Slippery Elm) Extract
Reserve:
Potassium Stearate, Glycerin, Aqua, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Safflowerate, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Milk, Sodium Stearate, Ricinus communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Sucrose Cocoate, Sodium Lactate, Fragrance, Tocopherol Acetate, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Safflowerate, Linalool, D-Limonene, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol

So, without further ado would you guys recommend B&M Spice or B&M Reserve Spice? Why would you recommend one over the other?

I have both Omnibus and Reserve base soaps from Barrister, and I like both. They are different performers as the Reserve base is a strange little cat with the type of lather it produces. It's a slightly atypical low-structure lather, but it shaves wonderfully once you quit trying to make it into a cool-whip lather.

Neither give me any irritation whatsoever, and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest either of them.

Top Bottom