What's new

Martin de Candre (MdC) Clones?

The municipal water here is fine. Almost all shaving products lather easily enough. MdC works like most other soaps and creams. I don’t see why it shouldn’t, it’s stearic acid and potassium hydroxide, about as good as it’s possible to get.

I recently purchased MDC Rose and Fougere, and SV 70th edition. I have only used each about 4 - 5 times. They are fantastic soaps. But then again, I like all my soaps. The only bad experience I have had is with the most recent puck of MWF, that produces a thin lather which almost immediately dissipates (please don't tell me that it is me, the last puck was fine, this one sucks. I use the MWF as a pre-shave "stick", and it works wonderfully for that purpose). Are MDC and SV better than my other soaps? (A&E, B&M, Stirling, Mike's, TOBS, DR Harris, Speick, La Toja, Maison Lambert, Tabac, Proraso). Well, better than some, possibly better than all, maybe not. Unlike some, I find both MDC and SV to have excellent post shave feel, although using MWF as a pre shave might have something to do with that. More research is necessary. Life is so hard. I don't care how long MDC lasts, but at first blush it looks like it will last a lot longer than any of my other soaps due to both the amount of soap and its hardness.

Happy shaves to you, until we meet again.

I have both Canada Shaving Soap as well as samples of MdC Fougere, Rose and Original, and the more I use them, the more I'm convinced that they are "twins." Maybe not exactly identical, but close enough that I can't tell the difference between CSS & MdC, except for the scent.

MdC lather is special, among the artisan soaps.

I've noticed current fad with artisan soaps trying to be moisturizers, they are very difficult to wash off. Not everyone might like that.

MdC with it's simple ingredients, does what it is supposed to do. Provide a great shave, smells great and it washes off clean. No residue left over like most of the US artisan soaps do. If that is what you want, then MdC lather is great.

This is lather for people who don't care about the monthly new bases the US artisans keep coming up with and just want a shave soap. All the other additives are not needed, it's literally what moisturizers, balms and skin care products are for.

I've noticed current fad with artisan soaps trying to be moisturizers, they are very difficult to wash off. Not everyone might like that.

That's not really a new thing. Anyone around here long enough should remember the whole "moisturizing soap" fad from 10+ years ago. It's just that the players are different and the recipes have been tweaked. Nothing new under the sun with shaving soap no matter what anyone says.

Loading down soaps with too many moisturizers, clay, random crap ingredients, etc. does not make a better shaving soap, period. Soaps with long ingredients lists usually have some subtle or sometimes overt marketing crap to go with them.

This is my experience based off the sample of rose I used. Its good, but nothing spectacular. The scent is hands down the best rose scent I've used but the performance or longevity is similar to any other very hard (3 milled etc.) soap I've used. In fact, it creates quite an airy, foamy lather which I attribute to its no frills and frankly quite cheap formulation. Its little better than proraso for me.

That's awesome because Proraso is great, if it's better than Proraso, must be fantastic shave soap.

MdC is a special soap imho. i understand there is always a difference in opinion on this soap but from my experience it's a top tier WHEN YOU USE SOFT WATER! I've found that this can make or break MdC from my experience.
one other thing i'll mention is although i absolutely LOVED the original scent i've found it to give me some burns. maybe the fragrance was too much for my skin liking. worth mentioning i have sensitive skin, if you do not this is an amazing soap. I resorted to using the fougere version which performance wise is the same but the scent doesn't bother my skin. can't go wrong with MdC frankly.
i also love the simplicity of ingredients.

Top Bottom