What's new

Arko ?

Ahhh ! Arko soap ...
Full of natural ingredients !

Ingredients: Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Paraffinum Liquidium, Cl 77891, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

Tetrasodium EDTA :
"When given to lab specimens orally, tetrasodium EDTA has caused negative reproductive and developmental reactions. Those with sensitive skin may react negatively to tetrasodium EDTA and may even display allergy symptoms such as irritation, rashes, and inflammation."

Cl 77891 /Titanium Dioxide :
" Exposure can irritate the eyes, nose and throat. since it has been shown to cause lung cancer in animals. a carcinogen. Such substances may also have the potential for causing reproductive damage in humans."

Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate :
"Topical application has been shown to irritate the skin & eyes. Animal Studies have shown low doses of this ingredient to cause irritation and organ effects at low doses. It's best that individuals with sensitive skin only use this ingredient in rinse-off products, or avoid it alltogether."

Ohh, and the fragance !
So unique ,so complex :

Top notes : Fermented male cat urine with a hint of a soldier's woolen socks worn for seven days in a row

Middle notes : Black fungus flowers , underneath toenail cream

Base notes : Rotten citrus ,
fake citrus ,synthetic citrus ,
and artificial citrus with a hint of fine burned electronics smoke.

I know ,I know ...
A bunch of you are going to hate me for my love towards Arko .

But wait till I get to the amazing Proraso shaving soaps .Another heavenly gift to the shaving community .

Yeap...
For sure we're living in strange times.Pretty deep into the upside down world that is ...

Last edited:
Gifting away your Saponifico Varesino and stocking up on the good stuff, @SCh5 ?
Those soap makers at the SV haven't learned anything from 1945.A bunch of pitiful amateurs they are.
Since I've discovered Arko my life has changed.
Just imagine this: Every time
I smell an Arko stick my stubble drops by their own !
Can you imagine that ?
I do not even need a razor !
Just a sniff is enough !

( By the second sniff my hair starts to drop off .No need for a haircut too ! )

My kingdom ( my SV collection that is ) for half an Arko stick !

This is not limited only to Arko or Proraso. MWF, RazoRock and others use some of those ingredients as well. I am afraid it is possible that many soaps will contain these ingredients.

This is an alarm sign for us all.
This ( unfortunately ) is true.

People should be concerned not only for what they put into their bodies but also what they put onto .

No,not for living longer .
But for living better.

Last edited:
Arko stick was the only soap (knock on wood) to make me break out in rashes and dry skin around my jaw line, peeling layers of dry skin. The tubes worked well so I gave the stick a try. It was a good soap, I kept thinking it was my technique but turned out to be the soap. I really hope that’s the only one I’m allergic to.

Yeap.Love is blind.
Bah.

To quote Samuel Johnson, in his reply to his friend Boswells' whining about suitable shaving soap, memorabily stated in 1777;

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave Arko! No, Sir, when a man is tired of Arko!, he is tired of life; for there is in Arko! all that shaving pleasure can afford."

I love chemicals, and I love black and white TV adverts from the good old days, with bespectectled Gentlemen preferably wearing white coats, telling us how good chemicals are.

Last edited:
A lot (and I mean a lot) of soaps, creams and other cosmetic products contain Titanium Dioxide and Tetrasodium EDTA. If you regularly use any products that are manufactured in an industrial setting, check the labels and see what you find. I am pretty certain that if I went through my non-artisan soaps and creams right now the majority would contain one or the other (or both).

As someone who can't use Arko because of a reaction, I blame the Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate. I always used to wonder why Arko lather seemed so good, but the shaves were always uncomfortable and left my skin feeling really sore and dried out. I think that the DDD is the culprit.

A lot (and I mean a lot) of soaps, creams and other cosmetic products contain Titanium Dioxide and Tetrasodium EDTA. If you regularly use any products that are manufactured in an industrial setting, check the labels and see what you find. I am pretty certain that if I went through my non-artisan soaps and creams right now the majority would contain one or the other (or both).

As someone who can't use Arko because of a reaction, I blame the Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate. I always used to wonder why Arko lather seemed so good, but the shaves were always uncomfortable and left my skin feeling really sore and dried out. I think that the DDD is the culprit.
Bingo !
+1
Your suspicions are correct !
DDD is a really nasty stuff.
A bit of web searching and studying will confirm that.

Regarding some agents that are still allowed to be used in cosmetic ,food ,pharma and clothing industries ,even if they pose serious health risks ,one has just to...follow the money and then it becomes pretty easy to understand why's that happening.

Reactions: Kix
With all the soaps on the market now, I choose only soaps that have clean ingredients ( apart of allergens) .

Plenty of choice !
Would you mind sharing some of those "clean" soaps? Maybe we even need a new thread for this, but for me this becomes important as I've dealt with these reactions in the past. In fact, even this morning I developed an irritation from the shaving soap which is still persisting after 6 hours and I expect to be over only towards the end of the day. Funny thing is a colleague noticed and his reaction was I should test new products only in the weekend.

Tetrasodium EDTA is also flagged by the EU: "Danger! According to the harmonised classification and labelling (ATP01) approved by the European Union, this substance is harmful if swallowed and causes serious eye damage.".

"Fun" fact about Tetrasodium EDTA on the Wiki page (but keep in mind in cosmetics it is usually used in concentrations below 0.5%, at least that's what I can find on the web):
"The substance has been used to aid in formulation of a removal product for rust, corrosion, and scale from ferrous metal, copper, brass, and other surfaces.[8]

At a concentration of 6%, it is the main active ingredient in some types of engine coolant system flushes.[9]"

Top Bottom