What's new

The Great Flashlight Hunt

I had a Cyclops flashlight that I got for Christmas awhile back. Not much bigger than a mini maglite but was it ever bright. But it took those cr123 batteries... which the only place I could find them around here was Radio Shack and they were like $15 each there. So, I just bought a mini maglite (led) and one of the old school 6 D Cell models. No more than I use a flashlight, they serve their purpose for me.

I had a Cyclops flashlight that I got for Christmas awhile back. Not much bigger than a mini maglite but was it ever bright. But it took those cr123 batteries... which the only place I could find them around here was Radio Shack and they were like $15 each there. So, I just bought a mini maglite (led) and one of the old school 6 D Cell models. No more than I use a flashlight, they serve their purpose for me.

You can get the cr123 at Batteryjunction.com for a buck or the rechargable rcr123 for a couple of bucks.

Last edited:
I love my mag lights, they are tough. I have a 3 D-cell version, I am disappointed by the LED conversion bulb for it, but keep the thing in the tail cap because if the batteries are "dead" the LED conversion works for several more hours at full bright (which is kinda dim) I bought it when I worked in a rough neighborhood, not because I needed the large light (I wanted the 5 or 6 cell light though). I have appreciated it many times for its light and never as a cudgel.

My 2AA light was left on and the batteries swelled and jammed, but it will be replaced very soon.

Phil

guess I'm just old school or lazy but I have 2 plastic surefire's the first one takes 2 of the 123 batteries and the second takes 3 and will blind you. I also have one of the nicer excutive models I got as a gift. the shelf life for the batteries is 10 years. buy a case to work from and a case (24) to pack in your bug out bag just keep your stock rotated as you buy more. Never had a problem. I also keep a 5 cell mag in the truck.
Same here, keep the G2 in my EDC bag, the G3 near the front door.
I keep a Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 3C by the back door, just as bright as the Surefire G3, but more of a spot throw than a flood like the G3 (not that it's a flood per se, but compared to the Rayovac, it's more flood-y). Got it on clearance at KMart awhile back for $15, but I'd buy it at again at the ~$27 mark on Amazon, it's really a good, tough torch for the price

Alakazam, thread revival. I am neither a flashlight geek nor a mall ninja, but I have to say that I love my newest toy, a 5.11 ATAC A2. Very solid feel, seems nice and bright to me, two AA batteries, and I think it will make a nice all-purpose house light. The strobe function is cool but I can't imagine any realistic use for it. The bright setting is the default function, but the light is easily toggled down to low. It has a rather stiff push button - I don't think there's any way to toggle the light by accident. Anyway, I like mine.

$FH096_500_1.jpg

Alakazam, thread revival. I am neither a flashlight geek nor a mall ninja, but I have to say that I love my newest toy, a 5.11 ATAC A2. Very solid feel, seems nice and bright to me, two AA batteries, and I think it will make a nice all-purpose house light. The strobe function is cool but I can't imagine any realistic use for it. The bright setting is the default function, but the light is easily toggled down to low. It has a rather stiff push button - I don't think there's any way to toggle the light by accident. Anyway, I like mine.

View attachment 221904

very nice...i love the grip and the fact it takes standard AA batteries.

Wow, I have been happy with my Mag Lite LED... I may have seen the light!!!

it's one of my AD's. i'm a FENIX guy, so i have about 6 in use.

MAG LITE was my 1st real flashlight and served me well, but once i fount the Fenix Line, there was no looking back.

my go to is a surefire L2 digital lumamax.the battries have a 10 year shelf life and a great operating life.two levels of light with the high beam bright enough to blind an intruder in the dark.

Last edited:
my favorite is my TK20, although my recent purchase, an E21 for about $20 shipped on a whicked sale, is turning out to be a fantastic light

$fenix-tk20-2.jpg

Top Bottom