What's new

Decent $11 18650 light

Ad Astra

The Instigator
On a whim, dropped $11 on a Chicom flashlight at Walmart. "Cascade Mountain Tech 700 lumens."

Why would I do that, when I typically shop (once a year) for the latest at Fenix?

Hm. Because better x cheaper is always happening, and some are garage or loss-risk lights. Anyways. I've paid over $20 for a good 18650 battery, and this came with a 2,200 MaH one. So what do you get for $11?

sdfdf.jpg

I sincerely doubt it's 700 lumens, the claims are always exaggerated. Yet it is a bit brighter than my other cheapie go-to. Its electronics are simple: Bright, less so, and strobe. On high end lights, there can be so many controls, you have to refer to the PDF every time you use it (LED Lenser).

It does charge, with a neat sleeve that rotates down for the micro port, likely semi-waterproof. Came with yet another micro charge cord to throw in the drawer. No lanyard, though a hole let me attach one.

If you get one, do pull the battery and remove a little paper battery-contact-protector. Some folks don't and think it's broken.

It is a focussing light, always nice. Can stand on end and has faux striker front.

I used to keep AA lights in bugout bags and other places for emergency use. Yet AAs leak with time, and rechargeables are only 1.2 volts. A 18650 battery is just larger, with more charge capacity. For a light you DON'T use (much), 18650s are better, IMO.

And yes, I did drop a Fenix in the bay once. Said to be waterproof, it and its $$ battery were never the same. (Battery fried, light only worked on one setting evermore).

Mildly impressed, and cost less than a fast food meal. They are in the bulk-pack section of Walmart's sporting goods. Good for a tacklebox or car center console, IMO.

sdfdff.jpg

AA :001_cool:

Last edited:
I've used Fenix lights (and only Fenix) for years. Solid lights but yeah, they are more light than I need for the most part.
My co-worker has been purchasing much cheaper lights from here and there and they they seem to work very well.
Comparable to my Fenix.
Only thing they don't do, is the super bright setting. But really, I don't think i've ever used the super bright setting.

I have about a dozen 18650 battery powered small "tactical" lights that I bought about 10 years ago. I'd guess they were about 5 bucks a piece. I worked midnights and carried one in my pocket for a backup to the light I carried on my belt. The same batteries are still working. Never had one of the lights fail. I still use them quite a bit. I have a mount that goes on a bicycle and use one at night when I go out on my bike when at a campground. Very handy.

I've used Cascade Mountain Tech trekking poles for years; I'm still on my first pair. They've been on all kinds of trips and have never let me down. I hadn't realized the company had branched out, but a quick glance at their web site shows all kinds of outdoor products.

Based on my experience with my trekking poles I'm not surprised the flashlight is good, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Top Bottom