What's new

Battery Help use and storage AA AAA C D

I just recently bought some eneloops to try out. After watching the video I wish I had followed my instincts and bought the Ladda.
That was a very limited test with a sample size of one using brand new batteries. All that was measured was charge capacity. Give those batteries a few more charge cycles and the numbers will change. Plus, the test does not tell you anything about how long these batteries will last or how many charge cycles they will do. No measurement of self-discharge rate, either. No harm in trying Laddas, or course, but you still made a good choice.

Having spent 36 years in the retail hardware field, it was obvious that alkaline batteries were decent until about a decade ago. And yes, this correlates with the time frame of the switch to battery makers sourcing them from China. Imagine that. And our experience with the batteries from overseas was more problems such as leakage, short battery life, even dead batteries well within the "use by" date. Lithium are the way to go, period. Pay more at retail, but performance and leakage issues mostly vanish. Storage for any battery, regardless of type, is room temperature and stable mid-level humidity. As for lithium battery brand, most are fine. I would agree the chargable eneloop and Ladda are a bit better than say the lithium or chargable Energizer, Duracell, Ray-O-Vac and similar, but are they worth the higher cost? I remain unconvinced since experiences could vary no doubt. Just going by what we encountered at the retail level and my own personal use.

Last edited:
I buy Kirkland AA and AAA batteries at Costco. AA and AAA batteries are stored in an unfinished part of my basement in Plano rifle cartridge cases: AA in case #1229 and AAA in case #1228. I haven't had any problem with them going bad. Each case will hold 50 batteries. Duracell C & D's are hardly ever needed, so I don't keep many on hand.

My favorite flashlight is a 20v lithium Porter Cable. I also have the PC drill and 2 batteries. In the flashlight, each fully charged 20v will stay on close to 18 hours, and the brightness is better than any C&D flashlight I own.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sounds like a good strategy Brian. With their high turnover the batteries at CostCo should be pretty fresh.

Lithium primaries go in my critical devices that may sit around for a while (flashlights stored in the car, garage or basement). Everything else is filled with Eneloops.

Top Bottom