What's new

EDC flashlight

For several years I've been using a Nitecore AA flashlight as part of my EDC kit, but it's not very bright by modern standards (about 150 lumens max, for a brief period), has a relatively short run time and is quite heavy (about 2oz/60g without battery). Also, I fancy a change, and have a birthday coming up.
What I do like about the Nitecore is its simple UI, the fact it can be mechanically locked out with a quarter turn of the head section, it has high water resistance and it uses widely available alkalne batteries, as well as NiMH rechargeables.
So, I was wondering if anybody on B&B has any tips on what is a good AA flashlight for EDC, probably around the $30 to $40 mark. I am based in the UK, but prices here seem a little higher for flashlights (torches, we would say) than in the US, so I will probably be paying the same number of pounds for most torches as they would cost in USD.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
For several years I've been using a Nitecore AA flashlight as part of my EDC kit, but it's not very bright by modern standards (about 150 lumens max, for a brief period), has a relatively short run time and is quite heavy (about 2oz/60g without battery). Also, I fancy a change, and have a birthday coming up.
What I do like about the Nitecore is its simple UI, the fact it can be mechanically locked out with a quarter turn of the head section, it has high water resistance and it uses widely available alkalne batteries, as well as NiMH rechargeables.
So, I was wondering if anybody on B&B has any tips on what is a good AA flashlight for EDC, probably around the $30 to $40 mark. I am based in the UK, but prices here seem a little higher for flashlights (torches, we would say) than in the US, so I will probably be paying the same number of pounds for most torches as they would cost in USD.
Great question! I'm following closely. After losing power for 18 hours last week, I realize how unprepared I've become for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse. There's a flashlight in an online cart, but want to see recommendations first.

Budget light forums like they said is a great resource. sofirn, emisar/noctigon/ and the ultimate edc Zebralight sc64le hi, are my go to lights. A simple Klaus single charger is cheap and works with nearly any battery. For cheap also convoy as well.missing a few here.
IMG_20210319_205129443.jpg

I have about 30 LED torches that have varying outputs from about 1 to 15000 lumens. Thankfully my FAD/TAD is in remission now. The one I EDC is the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0. It can run on either AA or 14500 lithium ion cell which can put out up to 650 lumens. There are many reviews on YouTube about it and I highly recommend it.

I have completely and totally abandoned AA/AAA batteries in favor of rechargeable 3.7V Samsung 18650 cells that I buy from 18650batterystore.com. The lime green cells on the middle shelf in ouchyfoot's post look like they are 18650s.

For lights, I like Ultrafire WF-502B and GearLight Tac, both on amazon. The Ultrafire has a longer throw, but definitely a hotspot in the middle and dimmer toward the edge. Better for outside long distance. The GearLight has even illumination accross the spot, better for working on close up stuff. I like that both of them are simple on/off devices without 20 diffferent blinky modes.

Thrunite TH10 V2 (single 18650 battery)

Main selling point for me was the huge throw for a package of this size. On the highest setting it's so bright you will literally burn your hand if you hold it in front of the torch (I don't mean touching the metal housing: the beam itself is powerful enough to burn). A long range is incredibly useful if you have to navigate in the dark. You've got a much better chance of picking up landmarks instead of walking right past them.

Apart from that, it also works as a very efficient camp light with some useful low settings. The lowest "moonlight" is bright enough to read by and will run for weeks.

It's a spot light but not an extreme spot. There's a useful amount of spill around the spot. This also helps to make it more efficient since a bright center often lets you get away with a lower setting.

Also has a very good waterproof rating.

Overall it's the perfect expedition torch: insanely bright when you need it and some efficient low settings when you need to eke out your batteries.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I always carry a SureFire Titan Plus (AAA) just in case.

But if I definitely know I'll be needing a small flashlight/torch (as when I get up before dawn to go for breakfast), I'll also grab a ThruNite rechargeable T1 (18350). And when DST ends, I carry a larger (21700) ThruNite T2 both mornings and evenings. (By then, I'm usually wearing a coat with ample pockets.)

In any event, the SureFire always goes with me. Ya never know.

Thanks for the advice all. My son saw me perusing some of the recommended flashlights and chipped in with the remark that he'd got a really good torch which somebody had given him for a birthday present. It was the Lumintop model mentioned above, and it turns out it really is good. Light, very bright and easy to use is how I'd describe it. And it's readily available in the UK at the moment, which many of the recommended models aren't. Probably the next consignment of these destined for the UK are sitting in a shipping container somewhere or other.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
any tips on what is a good AA flashlight for EDC, probably around the $30 to $40 mark.
For several years I've been using a Nitecore AA flashlight as part of my EDC kit, but it's not very bright by modern standards (about 150 lumens max, for a brief period), has a relatively short run time and is quite heavy

I suggest that you take a look at the 18650 flashlights out there now, rather than AA. One of those will easily outperform two AA's in the modern torches (see what I did there?). Someone mentioned Fenix, and I have one of theirs ... but I have generally gone with O-Light for my flashlights and am quite happy with both brands.

I really like going with the rechargeable batteries rather than disposable ... much more cost efficient over the long term ... even over the medium term, for that matter ... and I can always "top up" the charge so I can head out on an adventure with a full charge rather than tossing half-used batteries or carrying spares.

Thanks for the advice all. My son saw me perusing some of the recommended flashlights and chipped in with the remark that he'd got a really good torch which somebody had given him for a birthday present. It was the Lumintop model mentioned above, and it turns out it really is good. Light, very bright and easy to use is how I'd describe it. And it's readily available in the UK at the moment, which many of the recommended models aren't. Probably the next consignment of these destined for the UK are sitting in a shipping container somewhere or other.
I've given a Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 with a couple of 14500 cells and a charger to all my nieces and nephews as birthday gifts. They all love it and can't believe how bright it is for such a small flashlight. The only problem has been all the parents borrowing them when they need a "good" light.

I am using sofirn SC21 regularly, but I have many flashlights like Streamlight and Fenix. They are really good and durable. You can find various options and great deals at budget light forums and candlelight forums.
I started collecting after reading reviews on best flashlight reviews. You can have many Fenix options, and it is really good. If you Increase your budget slightly to $50 and you can get Fenix LD12.

Top Bottom