What's new

Battery Help use and storage AA AAA C D

I have just started in the last year or so having trouble with batteries. I am not sure if it is because I currently live in Louisiana, used to live in the midwest. Did I get a couple of bad batches to are batteries just cheap now. I bought 60 packs of AA and AAA batteries maybe 3 years ago but definitely not before xmas of 2016, since we have a flood before that and batteries did not survive. I bought basic Rayovac Premium Alkaline. The package states "10 year power life storage". I have had these batteries leak in the following devices and were still working when I noticed that they were leaking: Kwikset deadbolt, stereo remote, 2 flashlights (I need to check the rest) and even some of the batteries are leaking in the original storage container. I the batteries were either stored or used in devices inside the house except for a flashlight in my truck. The web site states that batteries should not be stored in a device for long periods of time. How does that work for a flashlight do I need a spare magazine like I have for my gun?
I also just contacted the company and waiting to hear from them.
What am I doing wrong?
What brand is the best for storage since I only need a flash light when I NEED A FLASHLIGHT, but I need it to work.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Robert

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
What brand is the best for storage since I only need a flash light when I NEED A FLASHLIGHT, but I need it to work.

Alkaline batteries have some issues with long-term storage. They are vulnerable to self-discharge over time. Extreme heat and extreme cold are not good for them. Best storage conditions for alkaline batteries are ~50% humidity at constant room temperature. These batteries depend on fragile seals that may give way when the batteries are heated to high temperatures as they would be in a vehicle.

You may want to try NiMH rechargeable batteries. A good brand is the Japanese made Eneloop. They have a low rate of self-discharge, but you can keep them recharged in your vehicle so they will be ready when needed. Keep a spare set and rotate them through a charger. They can be recharged hundreds of times.

For any dry cell battery, try to keep them away from condensation and moisture. You can keep them in a plastic holder that will help with that.

I too have noticed a lot of leakage with Duracell brand batteries, while in the past, I cannot recall a single leaker. The leaking started about two years ago, which makes me think something changed in the manufacturing process. I’m still storing them in the same place as always and the humidity stays around 50% with the temp varying from 65° to 78°. It’s in a living area where the temps only move while we are at work.

In my more critical devices I use Eveready Lithium Ion and have had good luck with them in outdoor thermometers, and other electronic devices. I have not tried them in high load devices like a flashlight.

I tried to file a claim with Duracell for the devices damaged by the leaks, and they would not process the claim without the battery’s original package. Who keeps a battery package after installing batteries? I buy batteries in the smaller 8 and 16 packs so they don’t lay around long.

It’s my understanding that all alkaline batteries are made in the same plants and are relabeled according to the company buying them. If that is the case, why are the Rayovac and Duracell bayyeries leaking and the Eveready batteries aren’t?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
So far I have used AA alkaline for my computer only. And I am almost out of these. Maybe they are the cheap type. But I have had no trouble. I didn’t want to buy AAA type for a small flashlight. I would rather keep the money.

NiMH type: Sounds more expensive.
Eneloop Jap made brand : I’ll try to remember that name.

NiMH type: Sounds more expensive.
Eneloop Jap made brand : I’ll try to remember that name.
Eneloops are more expensive, but the rechargeable feature and low self-discharge feature compensate for that. They are made by Panasonic (formerly Sanyo). I use a backpacking headlamp for the car since it is hands-free and uses bright LEDs, so not too big of a load.

I have several Eneloop aa batteries and they work well. I am looking for batteries that would be good in case of emergency and or disaster

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looking at it from a different angle as a extra back up, have you considered a wind-up led camping lantern & torch?

I have several Eneloop aa batteries and they work well. I am looking for batteries that would be good in case of emergency and or disaster
I think the Eneloops or other quality rechargeable batteries fit that bill. They will hold a charge for months if not much longer than a year, though I do not know the exact drop off rate. For a flashlight you can quickly check the brightness every quarter, half year, etc and know when to top them off.

I have some eneloops that must be approaching 10 years old and have never leaked. I have not had any rechargeables leak, but I did throw out a couple of sets of AAA from some off brand that would no longer hold much of a charge.

I think the Eneloops or other quality rechargeable batteries fit that bill. They will hold a charge for months if not much longer than a year, though I do not know the exact drop off rate. For a flashlight you can quickly check the brightness every quarter, half year, etc and know when to top them off.

I have some eneloops that must be approaching 10 years old and have never leaked. I have not had any rechargeables leak, but I did throw out a couple of sets of AAA from some off brand that would no longer hold much of a charge.
Have you used the Lada brand from Ikea? They are substantially cheaper than the Eneloops and are highly recommended in the photographic forum I frequent. But not ever having tried them, I can’t personally vouch for them. I am curious if that off brand might have been Lada batteries? I’m always suspicious of an inexpensive brand, I am a believer in you get what you pay for.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Have you used the Lada brand from Ikea? They are substantially cheaper than the Eneloops and are highly recommended in the photographic forum I frequent. But not ever having tried them, I can’t personally vouch for them. I am curious if that off brand might have been Lada batteries? I’m always suspicious of an inexpensive brand, I am a believer in you get what you pay for.

What about storing them in the refrigerator? I do, but it almost seems to me I saw something lately that said not to.
For modern dry cell batteries, the best conditions are room temperature with moderate humidity ~50%. Condensation is bad, and you can get a lot of condensation in refrigerators. Some years ago, people recommended using the fridge for rechargeable batteries like NiCd and NiMH. This was to slow down self-discharge rate. Modern NiMH have lower self-discharge rate than older ones.

It seems like all brands of alkaline batteries leak sooner or later. I have even found a few batteries that leaked without ever being installed in a device. They were still within the 10 year warranty period, but it is not worth the hassle of filing a claim.

I have never experienced leakage with button/coin cells, or lithium batteries, or rechargeable NiMH batteries. For flashlights, lithium batteries are ideal because they are a lightweight option. Also, the battery voltage is slightly higher than alkaline. NiMH are ideal for many other applications. However, the battery voltage is not quite as high as alkaine. For most applications, that is not a concern, but it is something to consider.

I never tried the Lada. I recently got a set of Harbor Freight AA to top off my battery rotation and see if they are any good. I have read good things about Amazon basics but when I went to buy them (before getting the HF batteries) the sweetspot combo-pack in terms of price vs how-many-batteries-I-needed was not available.

I also think one gets what they pay for in regards to batteries, though I think there has been some compression in prices and quality between the top tier and mid tier brands, which might be due to relabeling based off 3rd party sourcing.

Last edited:
I have not watched that episode, but I did watch his similar comparison between power tool battery packs, like the ones used by DeWalt, Makita, and others. I do not recall the details, except I believe there was nearly a linear relationship between the batteries he tested. e.g. an authentic 4AH Makita battery cost twice as much as the 4AH knockoff, but also lasted twice as long.

Top Bottom