What's new

EDC flashlight

I really like using 16340 and 18350 lights, but have decided that battery technology has come along enough and my carrying comfort leads me to 14500. I think this is reflected in forums and new models, demand is there. I am bummed that Lumintop has downgraded their lights and I refuse to buy the new FWAA. I have a Wuben pocket thrower that lives in my work pants of the moment, but am still interviewing different options. I am waiting on a Sofirn, and others, to come back in stock.

Mostly, my phone but I've got small Fenix and Olights stuffed everywhere in my vehicles, packs, and around the house along with some more serious lights. Living in the country, flashlights and spare batteries are the law. I do have a Nightcore on my keychain as well. Terrific tiny light.

Nitecore Tube

Having the Lumintop Tool AA in my jacket pocket proved a real boon a couple of days ago. A tyre blew out on my car as I drove along an unlit country road well after sunset and I would have been very hard pushed to fit the spare without such a good light source.
TBF a head torch would have been a bit easier to use, but one of comparable brightness would have cost a lot more and probably not been pocket friendly. The Lumintop did the job and did it well.
Here's a quote and pic from an Amazon UK review which I've just read:

The last thing that totally makes this light for me is that it has a reversible pocket clip. Let me explain why that is a total game changer… I wear a lot of baseball caps and if I ever need to wear a head torch, the peak interferes with the light cone, making it a bit of a PITA to set up and use. With a reversible pocket clip, I can slide the light onto the peak of my cap (either under or over) and voila, it’s a head torch - and a really good one at that.
UNQUOTE

1659783173740.png

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven't bough a new torch for several years. For regular daily pocket carry, my options have steadily dwindled to these, either due to loss, or expiration.

View attachment 1395026

I also have several AAA lights which I might carry instead, particularly if pocket space is limited.

Some of the lost items have since been found, lurking in forgotten pockets and pouches.

CR123 lights

20221129_063527.jpg

Sunwayman V10R
Fenix PD20 (non-rechargables only)
4Sevens Qmini 123 titanium
Thrunite T20 (two versions, one click, one twisty)

AA lights

20221129_063430.jpg

4Sevens AA Tactical
Thrunite T10 (two versions, one click, one twisty)
Fenix E11

AAA twisties

20221129_063557.jpg

Klarus MiX6 Titanium
Thrunite T1
Thrunite Ti Stainless
Maratac Copper

USB Rechargeables

20221129_063616.jpg

Nitecore Tubes
Klarus Mi2

Others

20221129_063501.jpg

LumaPower D Mini VX D65-V
Petzl e+lite
Silva Ninox
Gerber Omnivore
Cheapo off-brand penlight

These lights are all a good few years old, and rather behind the times in terms of emitters and electronics. However, they all throw light where it's needed, and so I've had no urge to replace them. Of all those, the Gerber Omnivore is the most used around the house, as it can take three different types of battery, and will comfortably run on batteries that are too dead to run anything else. Away from home, one of the AA or CR123s is most likely to be in my pocket, with one of the USB rechargables on my keys.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After watching too many YouTube videos, I had to admit a hands-free headlamp is pretty practical. Went for a Coast solid aluminum CR123 rechargeable one, 410 lumens. Would have liked a red light option, but when you need light, you need lots. Picked up a bunch of batteries and had good luck matching the specs of the Coast battery. Not a fan of anything AAA. Bigger, better, more chemistry. Greatly prefer 18650s in handhelds.

asdf.png

Flipped the band, of course. I don't need reflective.

ascasc.png

Battery indicator light is very useful. I really like Fenix products, but $30 vs. like $80 in this case.

Leaving it on a ballcap works. Haven't shot a pistol at night with it - yet - but there's no reason it won't work.

AA

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm still carrying the same Fenix PD35 3.0 every day. I still have the PD35 2.0 and use it around the house. I have mentioned this before but the best belt holster for it that I've found is one I got from Lee Valley Tools: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...dlights/72084-flashlight-holster?item=68K0762

It holds the flashlight securely, rotates for hands-free operation when needed and works so much better than the holster that came with the PD35.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm still carrying the same Fenix PD35 3.0 every day. I still have the PD35 2.0 and use it around the house. I have mentioned this before but the best belt holster for it that I've found is one I got from Lee Valley Tools: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...dlights/72084-flashlight-holster?item=68K0762

It holds the flashlight securely, rotates for hands-free operation when needed and works so much better than the holster that came with the PD35.

Liking that Lee Valley.

Hm, my Fenix PD28 - your PD35's predecessor - came the day before a major hurricane hit us, and I've always been grateful for that light. It's beam showed the water rise as it peaked (and almost drowned our cars) in the dark. Two fully charged 18650s will get you through a lot. That cheap Coast headlamp does have a focussing beam, which is nice - can throw quite wide, or be a veritable laser. Revolvers can't mount a firearms rails light, so it'll help there.

AA

Top Bottom