What's new

The Great Debate: Allen Edmonds vs Alden

View attachment 876997 I like Alden’s too but it is very rare that they make a 3E width so I can hardly ever get them to fit. AE makes all sizes as a good shoemaker should.

as an FYI alden makes shoes in full size runs and widths. the difference is that AE is sold in a much more retail oriented capacity than alden. it's fairly easy to walk in to a barney's, nordstrom, AE store, etc. and try on an AE shoe. since aldens aren't as widely available in B&M, it's less likely to find a specific shoe in a specific width on hand. you can always order most standard models in the width you want if need be.

alden is one of the few brand loyalties i have when it comes to non-sneaker footwear. i'm a sucker for shell

natty cxl indy, color 8 shell indy, color 8 shell NST
proxy.php

cigar shell short wing, color 8 shell NST loafer
proxy.php

NST on feet
proxy.php

ravello shell wing boot on feet
proxy.php

Bonus Shell Content:

ashland leather whiskey shell wallet
proxy.php

proxy.php

shell shundays

proxy.php

proxy.php

My go to dress shoes have been Johnston & Murphys. I've also worn Bostonians and Cole Haans. And I have a pair of Allen Edmunds. I have not had the opportunity to wear John Aldens. So i can't comment on the "debate" over which is better. But I will say that of the shoes I have worn, Allen Edmunds are by far the best of this bunch. There really is no comparison.

73D67CBB-B3B1-4848-8380-E8696C367D52.jpeg

My Allen Edmunds

Last edited:
I keep reading about how the quality of AE shoes has dropped in the past 5 or 10 years... Does this apply to the entire AE line-up , or just the Dominican built shoes ?

I have two pairs of AEs, and one pair of Alden's.

I would say that the Aldens are heavier and feel more substantial, but the Aldens have a huge steel shank and double leather soles, while the AEs have single soles and don't have a steel shank. The leathers are not the same type between pairs, so I cannot really compare leather quality.

Both my AEs and my Aldens have flaws. Either a bad stitch here or there, or a blemish in the welt, etc.

However, I just received a pair of White's Retro Oxfords in British Tan. They are both more substantial than both the aforementioned brands, and there is not so much as a stitch out of place that I can find.
Please post a link to White's shoes , I'm not familiar with them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My go to dress shoes have been Johnston & Murphys. I've also worn Bostonians and Cole Haans. And I have a pair of Allen Edmunds. I have not had the opportunity to wear John Aldens. So i can't comment on the "debate" over which is better. But I will say that of the shoes I have worn, Allen Edmunds are by far the best of this bunch. There really is no comparison.

Over most of my teaching career I also wore Johnson & Murphy. My outlet price for the Aristocraft cap toes was around $200. That was an unbeatable bargain. My last pair purchased, however, doesn't seem to be of the same quality. Their casual shoes were also well priced in the neighborhood of $125 - 150. I probably went through 30 pair and they served me well.

I had about 6 pair of Cole Haan and they never did fit me well enough to go the distance. They were half price at their many outlets, so not bad.

I have 4 pair of AE (thanks to this forum helping me spend money) and they are definitely a step up. But they should be as they are considerably more money. But good value for the money spent - maybe the best value for people like me without millions to spend. They wear like iron and are very comfortable.

I only have one pair of Alden's - the Indy boot. They are a step up from the AE, but they should be at around $500. The impression I have is that the increase in price for the Alden's brings an increase in quality.

Is it worth the extra money? Almost never if you're simply doing the math. A $40K car is better than a $20K car - but not twice as good. As always, the law of diminishing returns operates here. For me an additional investment of $100-$150 is worth it and my next pair will be Alden, but every man will have to decide that for themselves.

I'm not throwing out my AE - great shoes.

Over most of my teaching career I also wore Johnson & Murphy. My outlet price for the Aristocraft cap toes was around $200. That was an unbeatable bargain. My last pair purchased, however, doesn't seem to be of the same quality. Their casual shoes were also well priced in the neighborhood of $125 - 150. I probably went through 30 pair and they served me well.

I had about 6 pair of Cole Haan and they never did fit me well enough to go the distance. They were half price at their many outlets, so not bad.

I have 4 pair of AE (thanks to this forum helping me spend money) and they are definitely a step up. But they should be as they are considerably more money. But good value for the money spent - maybe the best value for people like me without millions to spend. They wear like iron and are very comfortable.

I only have one pair of Alden's - the Indy boot. They are a step up from the AE, but they should be at around $500. The impression I have is that the increase in price for the Alden's brings an increase in quality.

Is it worth the extra money? Almost never if you're simply doing the math. A $40K car is better than a $20K car - but not twice as good. As always, the law of diminishing returns operates here. For me an additional investment of $100-$150 is worth it and my next pair will be Alden, but every man will have to decide that for themselves.

I'm not throwing out my AE - great shoes.

I have to agree with you. I also was not spending the same amount for the different brands. I would buy my Johnston & Murphy’s cap toes on sale at Lord & Taylor for around $100 to $125. Not their top of the line shoes for sure. And the only reason I bought the Allen Edmunds was because I saw them on sale for $185, no returns. I’m glad I picked them up because they have been worth every penny. But I’m a cheap penny pincher and don’t see myself paying any more than I have for shoes.

D45D0C38-1474-418A-9D8B-08BEEBF099D8.jpeg
After years of wearing AE’s, I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of Alden’s while in San Francisco on business. The salesman made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, he had my sizes on sale. I believe he called these one offs, so I was able to buy a straight tip shell cordovan for $499 instead of $734 and a black calfskin wing tip blucher for only $299. I only bring up the price because many on this thread indicated they would not purchase Alden’s because of the price. They also did not charge me for shipping and no sales tax since they were shipping them to my home address out of state. Can’t wait to break these in. Above is a pic of the shell cordovan I bought today.

View attachment 915314 After years of wearing AE’s, I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of Alden’s while in San Francisco on business. The salesman made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, he had my sizes on sale. I believe he called these one offs, so I was able to buy a straight tip shell cordovan for $499 instead of $734 and a black calfskin wing tip blucher for only $299. I only bring up the price because many on this thread indicated they would not purchase Alden’s because of the price. They also did not charge me for shipping and no sales tax since they were shipping them to my home address out of state. Can’t wait to break these in. Above is a pic of the shell cordovan I bought today.
Those are beautiful. Awesome shoes.

regular maintenance/shoe trees keep them looking tip top. shell doesn't crease, per say like calf; but they do develop the distinctive "rolls" as they wear.

Top Bottom