What's new

The Great Debate: Allen Edmonds vs Alden

The outcome of all this may well moot. Allen Edmonds replaced the Dundee with the Dundee 2 a couple years ago and now seems to have dropped it completely in any material, let alone the much rarer shell cordovan. It seems that Alden wins by staying alive longest. I'm glad I have a pair of the original AE Dundees in shell.

Men's dress shoes go from $25 to $2,000 (with some ridiculous exceptions). Every man seems to select a price point where he's comfortable: a place where the price/value/personal choice meets the wallet.

That all makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is that almost every man - no matter where he is on the price scale - thinks everyone buying cheaper shoes is under-informed, and everyone spending more is just crazy or foolish or both.

It makes sense to me that (assuming he has the money) every man purchase a shoe near the top of his ability to perceive the added value. If you don't see a difference between $150 shoes and $300 shoes definitely don't pay the difference. If you see and appreciate the difference then get the better shoes, but that doesn't make you better than the guy with the cheaper shoes. It just makes you someone who knows enough to appreciate the better shoes.

You might want to consider the possibility that someone else has a more refined appreciation that you do when you proclaim that your price point is the logical holy grail of shoe purchasing.
Agreed!

The outcome of all this may well moot. Allen Edmonds replaced the Dundee with the Dundee 2 a couple years ago and now seems to have dropped it completely in any material, let alone the much rarer shell cordovan. It seems that Alden wins by staying alive longest. I'm glad I have a pair of the original AE Dundees in shell.
Sigh. As I said earlier in this thread, the trend is probably inevitable. I think Allen Edmonds will have to move its focus downmarket, as Johnston & Murphy has.

Strangest article and thread on B&B. Over two years ago this dude tells us he's going to do a long term comparison of two pairs of shoes, then never follows up with a single picture or update aside from one fairly minimal update. These are cordovan shoes, man! How about some pics to see how the colors are changing at least? Anything! Why did you kick off this comparison if you had no intention of following through? I'm confused.

My now annual complaint session about this thread. Show us some pictures man! Give us something!!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My now annual complaint session about this thread. Show us some pictures man! Give us something!!

I agree. A picture would be nice. I knew this thread would go this way. I purchased a pair of Alden boots about 5 years ago and they don't look any different today. This is a thread about a 20 year product - way too frustrating.

I agree. A picture would be nice. I knew this thread would go this way. I purchased a pair of Alden boots about 5 years ago and they don't look any different today. This is a thread about a 20 year product - way too frustrating.

Good point. But it's been three years. I know the guy founded B&B and no doubt has his hands in many things, but I just don't understand kicking off this whole thing with so much detail, accompanying pictures, and a promise of so much moving forward, then nothing. Almost literally zero follow through. I just don't get it. And as someone who is really interested in seeing the cordovan aging process (or lack thereof), I was excited to track this. And nothing. It's like the ultimate over promise under deliver. So it goes...

I got some Allen Edmonds boots because of people on this forum, and it's been great! I have 3 pairs now. I went with Allen Edmonds because they have EEE size and a store near me where I can try them on or return easily. I'm sure Alden is good too, I just haven't tried it yet.

I've got a number of pairs of both, going back thirty five years... both fine companies but prefer John Alden. I think John Alden are a tad better constructed as well as better materials... cordovans and blacks. Can't go wrong with either company.

14244D91-16BA-45E2-9078-25CB8857A6E8.jpeg
This is how my AE Dundees in espresso (AEs cigar) look after about 5 years of regular but not frequent wear. Still very solid. The shell has mellowed a bit. Comfort level is amazing. I like Alden’s too but it is very rare that they make a 3E width so I can hardly ever get them to fit. AE makes all sizes as a good shoemaker should.

I've got a number of pairs of both, going back thirty five years... both fine companies but prefer John Alden. I think John Alden are a tad better constructed as well as better materials... cordovans and blacks. Can't go wrong with either company.
Who is John Alden? The pilgrim?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

The Alden Shoe Company was founded in 1884 by Charles H. Alden in Middleborough, Massachusetts.

proxy.php
It is difficult to imagine just how active and important the shoe industry was in Massachusetts so long ago. Early New England shoemaking was a trade based upon one craftsman making a pair a day in one room cottages (called "ten footers"). Beginning in 1850 a series of inventions led to mechanized stitching and lasting operations and the birth of New England shoe industry followed rapidly. The productivity gains over the traditional shoemaker were on the order of 500 - 700%, yet the new methods also led to an extraordinary improvement in both quality and consistency. The explosive growth of the shoe industry in eastern Massachusetts at the turn of the century was impressive. Numerous companies were being started, and demand soared as product made its way west and south on newly expanded rail routes. Charles Alden's factory prospered, adding children's shoes to their offering of men's shoes and custom boots.

By 1933, at Charles Alden's retirement, operations moved to Brockton, Massachusetts and joined with the Old Colony factory. The Great Depression took a toll on countless shoe companies in New England. Although production demand increased during World War II, by the late 40's renewed consumer demand had fueled the search for manufacturing regions offering lower labor costs. Over the remainder of the century attrition would take hold as manufacturers looked farther and farther away in search of low cost labor and materials to meet the insatiable demand in the U.S.A. for low cost, mass-market consumer footwear.

proxy.php
Most of the companies who remained in New England could not compete in the demanding post-war economy. Yet Alden prospered by relying not on lower quality mass-markets but on high quality dress shoes, and excelling in specialties such as orthopedic and medical footwear. It was a period of growth and intensive development at Alden, especially in the design of comfortable, orthopedically correct lasts. In 1970 a new factory was constructed in Middleborough, Massachusetts where production continues today.

Alden is now the only original New England shoe and bootmaker remaining of the hundreds who began so long ago. Still a family owned business, still carrying forward a tradition of quality genuine-welted shoemaking that is exceptional in every way.

20180426_092459.jpg

When I began buying excellent shoes, including those mentioned, and Johnston and Murphy and Lucchese Boots, I went into a NYC famous shoe shop near Trinity Church by Wall Street and there I was introduced to Alden Shoes. The long time salesman there called them John Alden and it stuck with me all these years. If I alluded to an incorrect trade name, mea culpa... but heck, it's only life.

Black and Shell Cordovan, both 35 years old.

Last edited:
View attachment 879046

When I began buying excellent shoes, including those mentioned, and Johnston and Murphy and Lucchese Boots, I went into a NYC famous shoe shop near Trinity Church by Wall Street and there I was introduced to Alden Shoes. The long time salesman there called them John Alden and it stuck with me all these years. If I alluded to an incorrect trade name, mea culpa... but heck, it's only life.

when i googled it, it said John Alden was a pilgrim, and a cooper.

I thought perhaps there was a company that cam
View attachment 879046

I thought perhaps he was an obscure local cobbler or it was an obscure brand.

alden is one of the few brand loyalties i have when it comes to non-sneaker footwear. i'm a sucker for shell

natty cxl indy, color 8 shell indy, color 8 shell NST
proxy.php

cigar shell short wing, color 8 shell NST loafer
proxy.php

NST on feet
proxy.php

ravello shell wing boot on feet
proxy.php

Bonus Shell Content:

ashland leather whiskey shell wallet
proxy.php

proxy.php

on a related note, my friends who are/were AE loyalist have noticed quite a huge decline in AE's QC in the past few years. also, a lot of AE's manufacturing is being done in the DR. whether that has anything to do with their QC, who knows.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
on a related note, my friends who are/were AE loyalist have noticed quite a huge decline in AE's QC in the past few years. also, a lot of AE's manufacturing is being done in the DR. whether that has anything to do with their QC, who knows.
Do they note the decline across the board, or just in DR shoes?

hard to say. i'm not sure how much of production is DR. as far as i know, AE claims final mfgr, (construction, last pulling, etc.) is done in their US facilities. whether this has changed in the past few years, i dunno. the cutting of the uppers and pre-construction is split between the DR and US facilities.

from what i've seen first hand, the QC problems range fromt he final stitching (inconsistent/uneven seams) and major color variation on the same shoe and on pairs. i've had one friend send back 3 pairs of calf boots and 2 calf bals because of QC. seems too consistent an issue to be bad luck. these were not factory seconds, to clarify.

now i'm knocking AE by any means. when they're on point, they're on point. i've just always been an alden fanboy

alden is one of the few brand loyalties i have when it comes to non-sneaker footwear. i'm a sucker for shell

natty cxl indy, color 8 shell indy, color 8 shell NST
proxy.php

cigar shell short wing, color 8 shell NST loafer
proxy.php

NST on feet
proxy.php

ravello shell wing boot on feet
proxy.php

Bonus Shell Content:

ashland leather whiskey shell wallet
proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice! They all look great.

Fan of alden as well. Have a reliable pair of 405s. No shell though.

Top Bottom