What's new

These Allen Edmonds “Seconds” Are a First

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
With several black-tie affairs coming up, I decided it was time to pull the trigger and buy a new tux. My previous tux had served me well for several decades and owed me nothing but it was time.

So I picked up a nice midnight blue tux, a couple of bow ties (oh c’mon, of course they are self-tie 😀).

I was going to wear a pair of black Alden Shell Cordovan cap toe shoes but then figured I would go all the way and get a pair of black patent leather shoes.

However, since these are shoes that I might wear 3 times over the next year, I hated the thought of spending top-dollar on a pair of shoes that won’t see too much action.

I liked the look of the Carlyle offered by Allen Edmonds.
IMG_6183.jpeg

They retail for about $425 and are currently on sale for $299. Still a bit more than I wanted to spend for rarely used footwear.

So off to the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank to take a look at their “seconds”. Although I’ve never utilized a “seconds” program, I know Alden routinely sells their “seconds” through The Shoe Mart, so I thought I’d give Allen Edmonds’ seconds a shot.

I found (and ordered) a pair of Carlyle seconds for $224 and they arrived today.

Basically, it’s very hard to discern any blemishes at all upon a quick inspection.

The main blemish is a barely noticeable imperfection in the leather on the vamp of the right shoe. It’s underneath the patent leather coating so the shoe is smooth to the touch. Also, there is a slight pinch in the leather around the ankle area on one shoe and finally, the finishing on the sole by the toe box was slightly scuffed.

Now, with all that being said, hardly anyone (more likely, nobody) would/could notice.

And for the price, they looked perfect to me. 😀
IMG_6172.jpeg

Most of what you see is glare bouncing off the patent leather.
IMG_6175.jpeg
IMG_6173.jpeg
IMG_6174.jpeg

IMG_6176.jpeg

You can see the scuff on the sole of shoe pictured in the right.

IMG_6178.jpeg
IMG_6180.jpeg

This blemish looks much worse in the photo. It is barely noticeable and certainly at night, you would never see it.
IMG_6177.jpeg

For the amount of times I’m going to wear these formal shoes, I’m quite happy to go with a “seconds” shoe.

If I was doing 2 shows a night in Vegas, then I might have spent the extra coin.

So for now…. Ring-a-ding-ding…
IMG_6182.jpeg

Last edited:
After a bit of conversation about those seconds in the last few weeks, someone finally pulled the trigger . Thank you for taking one for the team . Glad you are happy with the purchase. Is this your work desk (err shoe shine desk ) ?

I have not worn a Tuxedo since 2004 as this was a 4 time a year adventure as I would go to an event with an elderly woman that my dad used to work for a long time ago, her partner had passed away but she did not wanted to attend certain event on her own so out in the world I went dressed up to the nines

lasta

Blade Biter
Allen Edmonds make great shoes!

I get lazy at times and neglect to take care of them. Despite that, my last 2 pairs of AE lasted me 17 years!

Johnston Murphy, whose design and fit I like better, rarely last more than 5.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
With my date 😉 (… Mrs. Gold 😀).

IMG_6285.jpeg

The Carlyle seconds by Allen Edmonds getting the job done. I wore these shoes for the first time today and they remained comfortable the entire evening.

When I got home, I brushed them off with a goat hair brush, put shoe trees inside of them and put them in flannel shoe bags and then back in their shoe box where they will remain until the next black-tie affair.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
With several black-tie affairs coming up, I decided it was time to pull the trigger and buy a new tux. My previous tux had served me well for several decades and owed me nothing but it was time.

So I picked up a nice midnight blue tux, a couple of bow ties (oh c’mon, of course they are self-tie 😀).

I was going to wear a pair of black Alden Shell Cordovan cap toe shoes but then figured I would go all the way and get a pair of black patent leather shoes.

However, since these are shoes that I might wear 3 times over the next year, I hated the thought of spending top-dollar on a pair of shoes that won’t see too much action.

I liked the look of the Carlyle offered by Allen Edmonds. View attachment 1739301

They retail for about $425 and are currently on sale for $299. Still a bit more than I wanted to spend for rarely used footwear.

So off to the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank to take a look at their “seconds”. Although I’ve never utilized a “seconds” program, I know Alden routinely sells their “seconds” through The Shoe Mart, so I thought I’d give Allen Edmonds’ seconds a shot.

I found (and ordered) a pair of Carlyle seconds for $224 and they arrived today.

Basically, it’s very hard to discern any blemishes at all upon a quick inspection.

The main blemish is a barely noticeable imperfection in the leather on the vamp of the right shoe. It’s underneath the patent leather coating so the shoe is smooth to the touch. Also, there is a slight pinch in the leather around the ankle area on one shoe and finally, the finishing on the sole by the toe box was slightly scuffed.

Now, with all that being said, hardly anyone (more likely, nobody) would/could notice.

And for the price, they looked perfect to me. 😀
View attachment 1739303

Most of what you see is glare bouncing off the patent leather.
View attachment 1739302View attachment 1739304View attachment 1739305
View attachment 1739306

You can see the scuff on the sole of shoe pictured in the right.

View attachment 1739307View attachment 1739308

This blemish looks much worse in the photo. It is barely noticeable and certainly at night, you would never see it.
View attachment 1739309

For the amount of times I’m going to wear these formal shoes, I’m quite happy to go with a “seconds” shoe.

If I was doing 2 shows a night in Vegas, then I might have spent the extra coin.

So for now…. Ring-a-ding-ding…
View attachment 1739310
We are going to need some pics of the tux you know....

FarmerTan

Well, now the picture is there! Beautiful tux my friend.

And I see you have a beautiful better half as well. You are even more blessed than I thought earlier.

It's the woman that makes the man, not the clothes, ha!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Well, now the picture is there! Beautiful tux my friend.

And I see you have a beautiful better half as well. You are even more blessed than I thought earlier.

It's the woman that makes the man, not the clothes, ha!

Thank you. No doubt, my better half. Next year, we will be married 30 years and I’d ask her to marry me all over again.

Just not sure I’d get the same answer I got the first time around. :lol:

But…. She’s still adorable. 😉😎😀

FarmerTan

Thank you. No doubt, my better half. Next year, we will be married 30 years and I’d ask her to marry me all over again.

Just not sure I’d get the same answer I got the first time around. :lol:

But…. She’s still adorable. 😉😎😀
Remind me to tell you how I never did ask my wife to marry me!

I really am going to start that book this winter..... I need to ask our lawyer how to write it so's to avoid HIPPA violations tho, doggone.

Remind me to tell you how I never did ask my wife to marry me!

I really am going to start that book this winter..... I need to ask our lawyer how to write it so's to avoid HIPPA violations tho, doggone.
I would keep that in my pocket, with a divorce rate at 50% you never know when you might need it.

FarmerTan

I would keep that in my pocket, with a divorce rate at 50% you never know when you might need it.
No worries on that end. I married a Baptist. She quotes Billy Graham's wife Ruth at me all the time. Seems she was asked once if she'd ever considered divorce. Ruth reportedly said, "no, but murder a time or two" or something to that effect! And I'm too smart to divorce her. She knows where I've buried all the skeletons!

Top Bottom