What's new

The Great Debate: Allen Edmonds vs Alden

$worms.jpg

Looks like a clinical study. I look forward to the results.

Although this very well may be a proverbial can of worms, I'm still very interested in the following your findings. I will be subscribing to this thread. Thanks. I know there will be some biased opinions (for one or the other), but the comparison you are offering in real time is welcomed by me!

PS.. I didn't notice any mention of "right out of the box". How do both compare in a comfortable, ready to wear sense, if at all?

Last edited:
This is a great article, I look forward to seeing the developments. I've lusted after a pair of Alden shoes for a long time.

I have never worn Alden but own a pair of Allen Edmunds, great shoes, have them 20 years. I only have them for dress up, with suit. For Casual i dont think you can beat Mephisto or Trask

Looking forward to your findings. I have had a pair of AE Dundee in cappucino shell for a couple of years now. I picked them because I could readily get them in a wide fitting and prefer the 3 hole lacing compared to the Alden 2 hole.

Not a fan of shell? You may be the first. Why not, if I may ask.

Shell is a good, durable material that is suited to boots and "casual" dress shoes (e.g. bluchers, wingtips, etc.). It's not always the best though for every dress shoe. It can spot easily with water, the shine looks a bit different (in a different-but-not-inferior way) than well-polished calf skin, and the way it ripples rather than creases doesn't fit every shoe type.

I like shell for boots and "hard use" wingtips and such, but I've never liked the idea that it's the "ultimate" shoe leather. That's simply untrue. So if someone doesn't get all hot and bothered for shell, I can understand.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I own both and my impression is that the Aldens are a little better and cost a little more. Alden also offers a smaller and less contemporary collection.

I like shell for boots and "hard use" wingtips and such, but I've never liked the idea that it's the "ultimate" shoe leather. That's simply untrue. So if someone doesn't get all hot and bothered for shell, I can understand.

I agree.

Plus, personally, the fact that it's off a horse, and it's not the horse's skin doubly creeps me out.

Top Bottom