What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

Had actually seen guy doing Razor Case, it was slow process.

It is his hobby business, could not make much off slow process.

Cases were nice, but wait was long.
I don't know how much work is involved (especially if there is much post printing finishing work) but I imagine it is more time consuming than most consumers realize. I don't know what the guy behind "Shop Nation" actually produces, but I watched a couple of his youtube videos setting up his new workship with a few rows of 3d printers and streamlining the layout around keeping the printers feed and getting their output into shipping boxes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have several fatboys with cases, unfortunately, most of the cases suffer from hinge failure on at least one side. The little tab is a weak spot and they break easily.
I worked up replacement tabs that can be super glued on after filing down the lid even with the casting line. These tabs are a little more resilient than the hard clear plastic of the case lid and promise to resolve an issue.
I have attached the stl file to this post if you may find it useful.

Image1.png

20230426_161028[1].png

20230426_161819[1].png

Attachments

• gillette hinge.zip
    47.2 KB · Views: 2

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I have several fatboys with cases, unfortunately, most of the cases suffer from hinge failure on at least one side. The little tab is a weak spot and they break easily.
I worked up replacement tabs that can be super glued on after filing down the lid even with the casting line. These tabs are a little more resilient than the hard clear plastic of the case lid and promise to resolve an issue.
I have attached the stl file to this post if you may find it useful.

View attachment 1644829
View attachment 1644830
View attachment 1644832
Wow, nice work!

Has anybody tried printing this 3D DE razor model?

The design looks interesting and I would like to know if it works well.
I can tell you that the razor works really well and has gotten great reviews from some YouTubers and forum members. Having said that, it does require a well-calibrated 3d printer. Working with the very thin and flexible DE blade was challenging and I was forced to use very tight tolerances. I still have a few variations in the works, and one of them is a halved DE with multiple plates which I think will be a better shaver once complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I can tell you that the razor works really well and has gotten great reviews from some YouTubers and forum members. Having said that, it does require a well-calibrated 3d printer. Working with the very thin and flexible DE blade was challenging and I was forced to use very tight tolerances. I still have a few variations in the works, and one of them is a halved DE with multiple plates which I think will be a better shaver once complete.

That's encouraging.

Keep us posted on how your variations turn out. I'm curious.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What material are you using and how does it hold up to the water?
I've got a bunch of different materials, PETG, ABS, PLA, Nylon as well as Brass, Stainless Steel, Copper, and wood filled filament for different stuff.
I usually just use PLA, and have found that modern good quality PLA holds up pretty darned well.
I've got a little container I printed from PLA that is only 2mm wall thickness, and is filled with water 16 hours out of every 24 and it's doing fine for over a year now.

Tomorrow's SOTD 8.25.23

Soap: Fine Santal Absolut
Brush: 3D Printed Simpson Alexander Trafalgar with a synthetic knot
Razor: 3D Printed SE
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE SS
Post-shave: Fine Santal Absolut

Another one of my favorite soaps with a great scent. Too bad it's discontinued.
20230824_221604.jpg

Top Bottom