What's new

The future of shaving?

From the posts I read here, many shave 2-3 times a week. Stubble is in. Those folks think they need aggression, but they just need something to handle that much growth. That much growth is probably why to multiple blade contraptions are disappointing. I figure better blades and razors that can handle a week worth of hair are going to be required.
The Edgewell Caliber 5 has already met this requirement.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I think P&G's innovations are driven mainly by what the 18-40 crowd consider to be a drag. As long as they can keep coming up with products that solve an old problem while creating one or more new ones, they'll be happy.

Whichever way they go, I have an ammo can containing a lifetime supply of splendid blades, so I'm pretty well set.

What royalties?

Astra SP's are made in Russia using assembly lines manufactured by Proctor and Gamble (Gillette). Astra pays PG for the rights to use the assembly lines that they received for nothing.

The way it works is PG depreciates the assembly lines over a period of time. Say 10 or 20 years. If they sell the assembly lines, the sale price will be recaptured from the depreciation claimed. So they give away the assembly lines and get paid for rights to use them. The same thing is done with Gillette Wilkenson Swords.

Astra SP's are made in Russia using assembly lines manufactured by Proctor and Gamble (Gillette). Astra pays PG for the rights to use the assembly lines that they received for nothing.

The way it works is PG depreciates the assembly lines over a period of time. Say 10 or 20 years. If they sell the assembly lines, the sale price will be recaptured from the depreciation claimed. So they give away the assembly lines and get paid for rights to use them. The same thing is done with Gillette Wilkenson Swords.

P&G owns 50 or 51% of PPI. They also own the brand name to Wilkinson Sword in all non EU countries or North America.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My predictions, at least for the short term: "Mainstream" shaving, such as it is, will evolve towards the DSC/Harry's model with quality and value trumping goofy gimmicks. 3-4 blades seems about optimal for a cart. I could see more options for luxury and/or boutique handles. Software seems to be trending toward shave butters and nonlathering creams. For us hobbyists, things seem to be on the upswing, particularly on the software side with great artisan options and easy access to European brands. However, I think DE and SE razors will continue to gain adherents. Millenials seems to like the old-timeyness and environmental friendliness of traditional razors. It seems like more brass and stainless steel options are emerging to replace zamac, at least in the US. I just hope people start losing interest in vintage razors so the prices go down on Ebay.

My predictions, at least for the short term: "Mainstream" shaving, such as it is, will evolve towards the DSC/Harry's model with quality and value trumping goofy gimmicks. 3-4 blades seems about optimal for a cart. I could see more options for luxury and/or boutique handles. Software seems to be trending toward shave butters and nonlathering creams. For us hobbyists, things seem to be on the upswing, particularly on the software side with great artisan options and easy access to European brands. However, I think DE and SE razors will continue to gain adherents. Millenials seems to like the old-timeyness and environmental friendliness of traditional razors. It seems like more brass and stainless steel options are emerging to replace zamac, at least in the US. I just hope people start losing interest in vintage razors so the prices go down on Ebay.
DSC and Harry's both have never made any profit on sales. Luxury handles have been around since Tiffany made them in the mid 20th Century. The sales of $300.00 DE and SE razors are very minute.

tankerjohn

DSC and Harry's both have never made any profit on sales. Luxury handles have been around since Tiffany made them in the mid 20th Century. The sales of $300.00 DE and SE razors are very minute.
Thanks for the insight. I'm just going by what I see. I have never shopped at Tiffany's. But I definitely see more fancy handles in places like Target than I ever did 5 years ago. Of course, its Dads&Grads Sale season, so that sort of thing is more prevalent now. $300 DE sales are small, sure. But options are expanding. Plus, stainless razors are coming down market, i.e. Gamechanger. As far as DSC and Harry's, that's news to me. How are they still in business? Again, anecdotally, I find more men moving away from Gillette to these other, cheaper, options.

Thanks for the insight. I'm just going by what I see. I have never shopped at Tiffany's. But I definitely see more fancy handles in places like Target than I ever did 5 years ago. Of course, its Dads&Grads Sale season, so that sort of thing is more prevalent now. $300 DE sales are small, sure. But options are expanding. Plus, stainless razors are coming down market, i.e. Gamechanger. As far as DSC and Harry's, that's news to me. How are they still in business? Again, anecdotally, I find more men moving away from Gillette to these other, cheaper, options.
DSC was purchased by Unilever, the European competitor of P&G. Harry's was purchased by Edgewell - owner of Schick.
Like Uber, they are not meant to make money in sales, only in capital gains from selling the company stock.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I wonder what technology will bring and if double edge blades will disappear

I hope for double edge blades made of Valyrian steel !

I wonder what technology will bring and if double edge blades will disappear

I hope for double edge blades made of Valyrian steel !
Could be worse, a trekkie or Star Wars reference. Is Obsidium real? What about Octiron?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The heated razor is a joke, and at that asking price a bad joke to be exact.

Honestly, I'd own the heated razor LONG before I'd ever buy a scuttle. No I won't buy one as the warmth isn't that big of a deal to me. I think scuttles are over the top day spa pampering. At least the razor takes no extra time or effort on the users part to have a warm shave. I like to shave, not do the dishes.

If it sells well, it won't be $200 long. It will be $29.99 and break every two years and those that bought the $200 one will have a better built, over built one that will last just about forever.

tankerjohn

DSC was purchased by Unilever, the European competitor of P&G. Harry's was purchased by Edgewell - owner of Schick.
Like Uber, they are not meant to make money in sales, only in capital gains from selling the company stock.
Okay, fair enough. But clearly DSC and Harry's are doing well enough to get bought by those bigger corporations. They have significantly shaken up the market in the US, just like Uber. My contention remains that the near-term future of the shaving market is being driven by focus on value rather than the next vibrating or rollerball gimmick.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Software seems to be trending toward shave butters and nonlathering creams.
I guess I haven't picked up on that, as least not in the artisan space. In the commercial space I think you are correct. I've liked Cremo, Duke Cannon and Schick. Some of my best shaves have come from non lathering creams. The santa spackle can be fun, but I'll take slickness over cushion any day of the week. Many of the non lathering creams have great face feel as well and pretty much relegate balm to a thing of the past.

Over time lathering and non lathering have come and gone in trends. I think a lot of that in WWII is that some products that helped produce lather were hard to come by due to the war effort so the soap makers had to improvise. Today it's not due to some shortage or restriction it's down to better living through chemistry and what they can sell. Big companies have actual chemists and far more capability to do special formulas than 99 percent of the artisan makers which may be why there seems to be mostly lathering soaps available from the artisans.

Last edited:
Okay, fair enough. But clearly DSC and Harry's are doing well enough to get bought by those bigger corporations. They have significantly shaken up the market in the US, just like Uber. My contention remains that the near-term future of the shaving market is being driven by focus on value rather than the next vibrating or rollerball gimmick.
Unilever is repeating itself, previously it bought a razor brand that repackaged another manufacturers product. This brand gained initial market share, then declined and was shuttered. KoS kind of did the same thing.
It's all marketing as Unilever isn't a shaving company, Gillette, Edgewell and Bic are.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@Sabre your knowledge of the marketplace always impresses me. Do/Did you work in the industry or how is it you keep abreast of all of this?

@Sabre your knowledge of the marketplace always impresses me. Do/Did you work in the industry or how is it you keep abreast of all of this?
I may work for a competitor of P&G, but I am also a shaving enthusiast and collector. Everyone must have heard of Ruud and Rye?

Honestly, I'd own the heated razor LONG before I'd ever buy a scuttle. No I won't buy one as the warmth isn't that big of a deal to me. I think scuttles are over the top day spa pampering. At least the razor takes no extra time or effort on the users part to have a warm shave. I like to shave, not do the dishes.

If it sells well, it won't be $200 long. It will be $29.99 and break every two years and those that bought the $200 one will have a better built, over built one that will last just about forever.
Don't worry, your wait for an affordable warm shave will soon be over.
In the future, they will come out with a machine that dispenses hot lather at the push of button. To go with that will be a revolutionary new type of razor that uses a continuous band instead of blades. When the edge dulls, just wind to a new section. It will end blade handling forever! And together they will produce the best shave of your life!

Top Bottom