What's new

The future of shaving?

Well stated, @Bogeyman

To me the shavers that go on and on about price are like the old farts that talk how a cup of coffee was a nickel and you got free refills.

WADR, I don't ever refer to what shaving gear cost in my younger days; my complaints are all centered around what it costs now, and my comparisons are to what else is available now. Twenty or thirty cents a shave for a disposable, and upward of that for a name-brand cartridge, vs three cents a shave (or less... I use primo blades) seems a smidge extravagant.

When we're considering what prompted men to switch from DE to cartridges in the 70's, it might be well to remember that few of them were shaving enthusiasts, and they certainly did not have the collected wisdom of hordes of zealots (such as we) at their fingertips as we now do. They were just guys trying to get ready for work in the morning, and hoping that the new stuff would make it faster/easier.

It's likely that few were getting maximum performance from the old system, just as it's likely that very few now are getting maximum performance from the new stuff. Gillettcetera understand that most people would rather solve a problem with a new gadget instead of learning a new skill, and they're pretty happy about that.

@razorboi when I'm talking expense of shaving, I'm not talking how much one can spend, but rather how much one ( a NORMAL person, not shaving enthusiast/hobbyist) needs to spend to get the job done. I think that amount has remained pretty stable over the years.
My dad would think we're all nuts...
As to the future of shaving...
I also think we'll see a 50mm badger knot in the next couple of years...
You are absolutely right to make the distinction between "normal" folks, on the one hand, and us shaving "nuts" (as your dad would call us), on the other.
You're also correct that many shaving items are comparably priced as compared to their fore-runners a couple of generations ago. In fact, some items, such as D.E. blades, may actually be cheaper in real terms than they were "back in the day."
Nevertheless, I can't help thinking that if we concede that the "masses" are largely shaving with multi-blade carts (the cost of which has only been increasing over time), it can be argued that most men (in the "West" at least), have seen their cost per shave steadily rise. In fact, many men report coming to DE shaving out of frustration with the intolerably high cost of carts. Those that can't afford them are relegated to the insufferable hell of disposables. Anyone willing to trade-in even their worst razor for a bag of Bics?

ps. Anyway, please put me down for a couple of the forthcoming 50mm badger knots. I'll need one for my tallow-based soaps, and another, of course, for my veggie soaps...and maybe a third just for dusting off my cologne bottles?

Top Bottom