What's new

The future of shaving?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Short range matter transporter. Have the pattern buffer and/or bio-filter subtract the whiskers. when the rest of you is transported one meter to the right.

I very much doubt that.
I'm sure it's carefully thought out so that they blend in with their tribe, even if you can't figure out exactly what/who their tribe is.
I didn't mean to imply that he and his mates don't want to look like the ladies like to look at. I think that is age old. I do believe that the ladies have lowered their standards. It doesn't hurt that my son NEVER looks bad. He looks like a classic actor from the 30's or 40's : think Cary Grant and Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart stuck in a blender. They are just weird. My avatar is him at about age 3 or 4. He's never been ugly. He's the kind of guy I would have hated in high skool.

FarmerTan

It is true. As a 24 year old, everyone I know my age doesn't shave. They try to grow out their thin patchy beards and wear nothing but sweatpants or ball shorts out of the house.
So true. I remember dressing up to go to the grocery store at that age; one never knows when one might meet a damsel in distress! Most folks go to Walmart in their pajamas today.

So true. I remember dressing up to go to the grocery store at that age; one never knows when one might meet a damsel in distress! Most folks go to Walmart in their pajamas today.

I worked at the grocery store, going there was a matter of dressing down.
dave

Interesting. Gillette has actually done several rounds of attitudinal consumer research on a related question: If you could take a pill and not have to shave, would you? The answers were overwhelmingly negative. For most men, shaving was an integral part of being a man (irrespective of whether one wore a beard). Now, that was a number of years ago, and, like so many other things, this attitude may have changed.

I suspect a woman of a great deal of western culture does a far more extensive job of shaving than most men on this forum, part of being a woman.
dave

I didn't mean to imply that he and his mates don't want to look like the ladies like to look at. I think that is age old. I do believe that the ladies have lowered their standards. It doesn't hurt that my son NEVER looks bad. He looks like a classic actor from the 30's or 40's : think Cary Grant and Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart stuck in a blender. They are just weird. My avatar is him at about age 3 or 4. He's never been ugly. He's the kind of guy I would have hated in high skool.
Oh, FarmerTan what have you done?
You've spoilt the illusion.
I always thought the avatar was you...of a few years ago of course!
ps Cary Grant, Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart in a blender would just be red and kinda liquidy....

FarmerTan

Oh, FarmerTan what have you done?
You've spoilt the illusion.
I always thought the avatar was you...of a few years ago of course!
ps Cary Grant, Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart in a blender would just be red and kinda liquidy....
Lol, yes, my attempts at word pictures are often colorful, and almost always unintentional!

I think Gillette will start to think big and move into plastic, multi-blade lawn mowers.

Laughed, but then went "Hmm." A composite lawn mower blade might not be a bad idea. Make it where it's several attached to a disk like some of those string trimmer replacements, and you might have something. Modern riding mowers above 36" tend to be multi-blade already.

The future of shaving? Who knows? As has been pointed out, the main purpose of the shaving companies is to make money. Nothing wrong with that, it just means that the big blade companies will continue to focus of replaceable blades. That was King Gillette's big idea: a product that men would have to constantly buy.

Beyond that, even the shaving companies don't know. The Techmatics were a flop. Gillette ended up with an injector at one point, then there were twin blades for DE and SE, and slide-on cartridges. But the big innovation was the disposable razor.

As to what Gillette and such will actually do, that's probably concentrate on expanding in non-Western markets. Most have squeezed themselves into a corner in the West with their high priced cartridges.

We haven't come that far in fifty years compared to other products, and nostalgia is also reflected with these, for example vinyl records. The first cart razor was an extension of the cheaper injectors made in plastic, such as British Personna. Then in fifty years we have gradually increased the blades to seven. Have coatings changed dramatically? Teflon PTFE, Chromium - probably similar to Teflon, ceramic and Titanium, Diamond and Platinum.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I guess I haven't picked up on that, as least not in the artisan space. In the commercial space I think you are correct. I've liked Cremo, Duke Cannon and Schick. Some of my best shaves have come from non lathering creams. The santa spackle can be fun, but I'll take slickness over cushion any day of the week. Many of the non lathering creams have great face feel as well and pretty much relegate balm to a thing of the past.

Over time lathering and non lathering have come and gone in trends. I think a lot of that in WWII is that some products that helped produce lather were hard to come by due to the war effort so the soap makers had to improvise. Today it's not due to some shortage or restriction it's down to better living through chemistry and what they can sell. Big companies have actual chemists and far more capability to do special formulas than 99 percent of the artisan makers which may be why there seems to be mostly lathering soaps available from the artisans.
You are correct sir. I meant the mainstream market, not us wetshavers/traditionalists/hobbyists/whatever you want to call it. Back in my Dark Ages of shaving, I enjoyed Trader Joe's nonlathering cream. Nowadays I wouldn't be caught dead with a nonlathering cream. I enjoy the brush-lather ritual too much. For artisan software, I don't know, the trend seems to be towards unusual bases - donkey milk! duck fat! all organic walrus blubber! I'm waiting for an artisan soap made from authentic Fight Club-grade recycled liposuction tallow.

You are correct sir. I meant the mainstream market, not us wetshavers/traditionalists/hobbyists/whatever you want to call it. Back in my Dark Ages of shaving, I enjoyed Trader Joe's nonlathering cream. Nowadays I wouldn't be caught dead with a nonlathering cream. I enjoy the brush-lather ritual too much. For artisan software, I don't know, the trend seems to be towards unusual bases - donkey milk! duck fat! all organic walrus blubber! I'm waiting for an artisan soap made from authentic Fight Club-grade recycled liposuction tallow.

That one gave me a good laugh! So true!

Cart shaving = Wet shaving. You can even wet shave with a electric razor, I think rotary.
But is it really?? Even though it is technically wet shaving, it has a different connotation to it. People usually call cartridges just "shaving" while the others that actually enjoy the whole process, call it "wet shaving"

But is it really?? Even though it is technically wet shaving, it has a different connotation to it. People usually call cartridges just "shaving" while the others that actually enjoy the whole process, call it "wet shaving"

Called just 'shaving' because the 'wet' part is a given, redundant, what need is there for further differentiation?
dave

Last edited:
There is no different connotation to it. If you shave with water, that's wet shaving. If you just run a foil shaver over your face that's dry shaving.

On the average, human hair grows at about 1 cm per month. That's about 0.33 mm per day. If you have 6 billion people in the world past puberty, that's over 1200 miles of hair growth per day. The people who are making money on the removal of that hair most likely wish to continue making money on the removal of that hair, and are unlikely to allow any permanent solutions to emerge without resistance. The money is in the masses using up stuff, then replacing it.

I'm sure the technology already exists (and likely has for some time) to produce a razor of glass or ceramic, much sharper and smoother than steel, and with an edge that would last years-to-decades without honing or stropping. There's no come-back in that, though. I think the future of shaving will see more and more people shaving more and more of their body surface until the norm is complete hairlessness below the scalp for both sexes. With disposable blades. Then the razor people and the hair care people will duke it out over the scalp hair.

On the average, human hair grows at about 1 cm per month. That's about 0.33 mm per day. If you have 6 billion people in the world past puberty, that's over 1200 miles of hair growth per day. The people who are making money on the removal of that hair most likely wish to continue making money on the removal of that hair, and are unlikely to allow any permanent solutions to emerge without resistance. The money is in the masses using up stuff, then replacing it.

I'm sure the technology already exists (and likely has for some time) to produce a razor of glass or ceramic, much sharper and smoother than steel, and with an edge that would last years-to-decades without honing or stropping. There's no come-back in that, though. I think the future of shaving will see more and more people shaving more and more of their body surface until the norm is complete hairlessness below the scalp for both sexes. With disposable blades. Then the razor people and the hair care people will duke it out over the scalp hair.

You have to multiply 1,200 miles by the number of hairs. They will convince us we need a different kind of blade for every part of the body as well as other specialized products.

Top Bottom