What's new

The future of shaving?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think there will be a future of shaving unless via gene therepy or some such we turn off the genes that produce facial hair or kill it all with lasers because the price of that drops to enough to warrant that. (actually I wonder what the cost of killing all the hair one normally shaves now would be what the payback period on that would be. It might be feasible now given what some drop on this hobby)

Some percentage of the population at the world level will always shave, so there will always be more products than necessary to get the job done.

I think razors, especially DE has evolved as far as it can while remaining a DE. You could do more innovation with SE but there is enough already. Carts will be where things improve the most, and I consider them a better shave for me currently than DE or SE all things considered, time, closeness, comfort, cost and so on. I also look for things like the Philips One Blade to advance to a degree such that many just use those. Electrics will evolve but I don't expect them ever to be as close as a blade, but will deliver a DFS on demand for most.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
They should really look into making a better shaving razor like the OneBlade for the $200 price tag. It's almost brainless to shave with.

To me the brainless part of that is getting a shave that is no better than the top performing carts at a significantly higher price due to the cost of the short lived blades.

It does look nice though.

for the next few years, the main stream of shaving is still the multi blade cartridges.

gillette strip.jpg

Gillette and Edgewell will release products than meet a need and make a profit. The heated razor? It must have passed test and focus groups to have reached the market.

Gillette and Edgewell will release products than meet a need and make a profit. The heated razor? It must have passed test and focus groups to have reached the market.
The heated razor is a joke, and at that asking price a bad joke to be exact.

We are seeing the future in many choices. Proctor and Gamble (Gillette) receives royalties from many foreign companies that sell blades. They do so for other personal care products, too. Just look at B&B and see how many people own a variety of choices they will never use.

I foresee the shave bot, this little guy that you just let go wild on your face (or wherever) and it shaves you while you are making coffee or something. The vacuums, lawn mowers, shave bot.

Of course I will never give up my 34C.

I foresee the shave bot, this little guy that you just let go wild on your face (or wherever) and it shaves you while you are making coffee or something. The vacuums, lawn mowers, shave bot.

That doesn't sound fun.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

You have probably hit closest to predicting the future than any of us: nano technology.

Given that we here at B&B think of shaving far, far more often than anyone outside of Gillette employees, i figured i’d pose this question: What do you think will be the future of shaving? I ask because throughout modern shaving history, innovation has been near constant. From the straights of old to the modern cart, innovation and change have been the norm. But i’m probably not alone in thinking we may have hit a point where there can be no improvement in design using current blade technology. I.E. i think wet shaving has hit its absolute limit. One more blade, lubristrip or the “roller ball” is not going to make people buy a new system and i think that’s becoming apparent. Gillette is even going backward now with the “skinguard” and to me that’s evidence that it’s over innovation-wise. So assuming blades have gone as far as they can, what’s the future? My personal take is near flawless electric razors. I think that area has the biggest potential for improvement. What do you all think?
From the posts I read here, many shave 2-3 times a week. Stubble is in. Those folks think they need aggression, but they just need something to handle that much growth. That much growth is probably why to multiple blade contraptions are disappointing. I figure better blades and razors that can handle a week worth of hair are going to be required.

We are seeing the future in many choices. Proctor and Gamble (Gillette) receives royalties from many foreign companies that sell blades. They do so for other personal care products, too. Just look at B&B and see how many people own a variety of choices they will never use.
What royalties?

Top Bottom