What's new

The Electric razor thread

Time to bump this. Walmart now has the Heritage shaver under $100, so I pulled the trigger. No bells and whistles, other then a pop-up trimmer. Looks really cool:

View attachment 1130500

Pros:
  • Does not need a charger - it uses mini USB cable to charge. Great for travel, obviously.
  • It's smaller than you think.
  • Replacement heads are available and they are not too expensive.
  • Shaves really well, very similar to my Braun Series 6 (you can read my review of that shaver on this sub-forum).
  • Excellent for traditional wet shaving, using brush & soap method.
  • This is a matter of taste, obviously, but IMO, it's one of the best looking electrics on the market today.
  • The on/off switch is too cool. :)

Cons:
  • No pivoting head is possible with this design.
  • Other than the small charging/low battery light, it has no other indicators.
  • No special modern features here - it had to look retro no matter what.
  • Price: it's under $100 now, which still doesn't make it cheap; you are paying for the design.

I only had one Remington screen type shaver and I was not impressed at all. It was the first electric shaver that I had that could be used wet. The only problem I had was that the cutters would corrode and I had to press harder to get a close shave. This would cause the screen to crack. If I bought one of the cool Heritage model, I would only use it dry and it will probably be alright.

Last edited:
Time to bump this. Walmart now has the Heritage shaver under $100, so I pulled the trigger. No bells and whistles, other then a pop-up trimmer. Looks really cool:

View attachment 1130500

Pros:
  • Does not need a charger - it uses mini USB cable to charge. Great for travel, obviously.
  • It's smaller than you think.
  • Replacement heads are available and they are not too expensive.
  • Shaves really well, very similar to my Braun Series 6 (you can read my review of that shaver on this sub-forum).
  • Excellent for traditional wet shaving, using brush & soap method.
  • This is a matter of taste, obviously, but IMO, it's one of the best looking electrics on the market today.
  • The on/off switch is too cool. :)

Cons:
  • No pivoting head is possible with this design.
  • Other than the small charging/low battery light, it has no other indicators.
  • No special modern features here - it had to look retro no matter what.
  • Price: it's under $100 now, which still doesn't make it cheap; you are paying for the design.

Good rundown! Haven't been historically impressed with Remington, but this one looks like a possible good travel alternative.

Welcome back to the Dark Side! :001_smile
you know what..almost one month of shaviing with a fusion and then a king camp DE.. fun, intersting, yes... but ....brushes..lathering....prepping....angles..pressure...etc and then drying blades...alum.etc etc... working my balls off. I prefer having a tad less close shave but getting out in 5 minutes. You expert tonsors please forgive me.

after receiving (at long last) my previous arc5 refund from amazon I decided to reorder it after all (this time i even save 19 euros since it's a timed-offer). I'm already annoyed by carts and king c DE , i'm sorry, too spoiled by 10 years of electric shavers convenience. Don't kill me :biggrin::biggrin:

Same boat!! I had a fun experiment with a fatip lo storto but ultimately the same blade shaving related irritation I've always experienced in the past showed up again and besides that... It just took too darn long. Everytime I couldn't help but think, "by the time I'm done with just my first pass I'd all ready be long done and half way through my shower if I used my Electric".

you know what..almost one month of shaviing with a fusion and then a king camp DE.. fun, intersting, yes... but ....brushes..lathering....prepping....angles..pressure...etc and then drying blades...alum.etc etc... working my balls off. I prefer having a tad less close shave but getting out in 5 minutes. You expert tonsors please forgive me.

Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis. Vade et amplius iam noli peccare. :biggrin1:

Welcome back. As I have said before, convenience, speed and safety make electric shavers a great tool.

Xiaomi just launched a monster: 15.000 cps (1000 more than arc5), five blades, linear magnetic levitation motor etc. A serious match for the arc5?

what do you think?

Their Mijia line has gotten good reviews (the rotary has been around longer), with the few main complaints I've seen related to battery reliability. On paper the specs are similar to the Panasonics, but I believe the head is less flexible and operates more like a Braun. As far as I know, no cleaning stations available if that's important, and replacement heads could be an issue in the future. Haven't personally used one, but it's likely a good shaver.

Their Mijia line has gotten good reviews (the rotary has been around longer), with the few main complaints I've seen related to battery reliability. On paper the specs are similar to the Panasonics, but I believe the head is less flexible and operates more like a Braun. As far as I know, no cleaning stations available if that's important, and replacement heads could be an issue in the future. Haven't personally used one, but it's likely a good shaver.

I think these are manufactured in China. Getting replacement heads may be a problem in the future. However, the price looks good and if it’s available on Amazon it might be a good buy. Amazon has a 30 day money back guarantee.

Xiaomi just launched a monster: 15.000 cps (1000 more than arc5), five blades, linear magnetic levitation motor etc. A serious match for the arc5?

what do you think?

I recently picked up a kemei (read: cheap Chinese) zero gapped cordless trimmer for about $35 and it rivals even the best professional model Wahl trimmers and clippers I ever used. It gives a closer cut then my Wahl balding clippers and half the weight and half the price. I absolutely love it. I use it for cleaning up facial hair, removing bulk before a shave, and lazy head shaves. The really crazy part is the charge to use ratio: 2.5hrs use on 50mins charge!

I've always been an advocate of cleaning stations but I know many argue against them, electric shavers worked fine for decades before they were introduced, I don't wet shave with it to necessitate 'deep cleaning', and I'm trying to lessen the extra stuff around my house as well as my guaranteed monthly expenditures so I'm doing a little test: I'm going to go a week or two without using the cleaning base on my Braun series 3. It will be used for head shaves (I finally gave in and am growing the beard back at my wife's request) and will be done totally dry, not even lectric shave. I'm on day two and already realized that I have to atleast rinse it out and then followed it up with a splash of iso alcohol to let it dry. My skin is so oily and I sweat so much in this hot Florida climate that the foils started to stink lol. I'll keep it going for a bit. I'm fine with using the base of I have to but I'd like to prove/justify to myself that I do infact 'need' it.

I've always been an advocate of cleaning stations but I know many argue against them, electric shavers worked fine for decades before they were introduced, I don't wet shave with it to necessitate 'deep cleaning', and I'm trying to lessen the extra stuff around my house as well as my guaranteed monthly expenditures so I'm doing a little test: I'm going to go a week or two without using the cleaning base on my Braun series 3. It will be used for head shaves (I finally gave in and am growing the beard back at my wife's request) and will be done totally dry, not even lectric shave. I'm on day two and already realized that I have to atleast rinse it out and then followed it up with a splash of iso alcohol to let it dry. My skin is so oily and I sweat so much in this hot Florida climate that the foils started to stink lol. I'll keep it going for a bit. I'm fine with using the base of I have to but I'd like to prove/justify to myself that I do infact 'need' it.

Based on what you said about the climate in Florida and your skin type, maybe you should keep the cleaning station. Do you shave in an air conditioned environment? I have never used a cleaning station for the many reasons I mentioned before on this forum and my cutters have developed no odor. I only shave dry, never rinse the head with anything and I’ve never stuck my nose into the shaver head. But, there’s no odor at all.

and don't forget it's that xiaomi. the one producing very fine smartphones. The quality could be higher than we expect

I wasn’t disparaging the fact that it’s made in China. Buy, depending how things go down with the current trade war with China, the heads could become difficult to get in the United States.

I think these are manufactured in China. Getting replacement heads may be a problem in the future. However, the price looks good and if it’s available on Amazon it might be a good buy. Amazon has a 30 day money back guarantee.

Just looked on Amazon and it’s not available.

Based on what you said about the climate in Florida and your skin type, maybe you should keep the cleaning station. Do you shave in an air conditioned environment? I have never used a cleaning station for the many reasons I mentioned before on this forum and my cutters have developed no odor. I only shave dry, never rinse the head with anything and I’ve never stuck my nose into the shaver head. But, there’s no odor at all.

Yes, I've got a full central air system and keep my house fairly cool so it's running quite regularly (especially right now as I type when my outdoor thermometer is showing 105f lol). I really do prefer the fresh shaver feeling each time I use it and wouldn't be surprised if I go back to using the base but I can't help and experiment haha.

Top Bottom