What's new

The Electric razor thread

I have and still occasionally do but my skin (and my wife's picky nose) really likes just plain witch hazel so that's pretty much the only thing I use. If you use an electric then 'fancy' aftershaves are one of the only ways to have variety (unless you have a rotation of Electrics and/or use brush and soap) so go for it! The whole 'use a balm' thing is a blanket statement as most people need added moisture in their regimen. I on the other hand have oily skin and need to be dried out. Use what works best for you when you blade shave.
Honestly, lately I've been shaving only on the weekends. When I do use my old electric it shaves pretty close, and my skin got tougher since the high school so I've grown to love it. I will probably wet shave in a few months but for now I want a little pause. Clippers+ electric do just fine.

Thank you for fast reply. I'm asking because many sites recommend non-alcohol ones and balms. I was wondering if there is any research backing that. Also many people around me that use electric don't use anykind of AS.
After I use up my batch of disposable razors and double edge razors I think I will go only electric for some time, but I do not want to stop using good quality alcohol aftershaves.

I actually use all of my DE software and hardware with electrics - brush, scuttle, artisan soaps and AS. I find I get the best electric shave with all the prep I use with DE shaving. Shaving with an electric is no more irritating (to me) than shaving with a DE - in fact I find I get a more comfortable shave with an electric, so any aftershave works - as examples of alcohol splashes I've used: any of B&M's splashes, any of CFG's, any of M&M's, any of DRH's, any of CC's, any of Stirling's, Tabac, Pinaud, Ogallala. Non-alcohol: SW's, A&E's, GFT's Skin Food, T+S's. I do occasionally shave semi-dry with an electric using a pre-shave, usually traveling, but I've generally used an aftershave then as well - in fact, some pre-shaves, like Freelette, serve as their own aftershave. No difference for me in pre- or post-shave with a DE or an electric.

I have used Electric shavers for years. Right now in my stable there is a new Phillips Norelco series 6000.
Many will tell you the blades are self sharpening and last for a year. This is not true. Not even close to truth.
After about 2 weeks of daily shaves..... your new electric razor does not shave the same as it did the day it came out of the box. It will still shave, and give a fairly close shave , at that. After about 6 weeks the dulling becomes noticeable and it starts taking longer and longer to get those close shaves. At the end of 3 months. it's past time to replace the cutters.
In my case, cutters/replacement heads are about 50 bucks.

You can sharpen the cutters of a rotary shaver, but not a foil shaver. Even after sharpening , they will not be as good as they were when new. But they will be much much better than 6 months of use with no sharpening.
I use mine to touch up the little hard to get to areas after a good wet shave.
Contrary to popular belief, the modern electric shaver does indeed give a close shave, but to get the closest shave from it takes a while. At the end of the day it is nowhere near as close as a wet shave with a double edge blade.
They are , however, very useful for touching up. Just for touch up use they can last a very long time.

I've not noticed any reduction in performance in any of my electrics after a year - including Brauns, Panasonics and Philips. I usually routinely change heads after 12 months, but they could likely go for several months after that. And they all provide a shave the visual and tactile equivalent of my DE razors. I know, philosophically, my electrics are not as close technically, because the blades of an electric don't actually touch the skin. But practically, for me, the shaves are exactly the same. I preface I don't pursue BBS with a DE because, for me 1) it's not needed, and never was, and 2) it causes more irritation and ingrowns. YMMV, certainly.

I actually use all of my DE software and hardware with electrics - brush, scuttle, artisan soaps and AS. I find I get the best electric shave with all the prep I use with DE shaving. Shaving with an electric is no more irritating (to me) than shaving with a DE - in fact I find I get a more comfortable shave with an electric, so any aftershave works - as examples of alcohol splashes I've used: any of B&M's splashes, any of CFG's, any of M&M's, any of DRH's, any of CC's, any of Stirling's, Tabac, Pinaud, Ogallala. Non-alcohol: SW's, A&E's, GFT's Skin Food, T+S's. I do occasionally shave semi-dry with an electric using a pre-shave, usually traveling, but I've generally used an aftershave then as well - in fact, some pre-shaves, like Freelette, serve as their own aftershave. No difference for me in pre- or post-shave with a DE or an electric.
Of course, my prep is the same as with DE or cartridge/disposable, however without a lather.

I personally bought my series 6000 Phillips Norelco back in December of 2019.......so 6 months ago.
The degradation in shave quality was noticeable within 3 weeks. By the end of 3 months it had deteriorated badly.
Months 4 and 5, I became annoyed in the time it was taking to get a decent shave. That is because the cutters dulled out badly. You could still shave with it, but the time it took to get a close shave took forever, whereas when it was new, about 3-5 minutes.
If you look around on the net you will find many electric shaver users who have exactly the same complaints as mine.
I have been through literally about a dozen electric shavers over the years and it's the same story, time and time again.
Be it foil or rotary.

They are nice pieces and I like electric shavers. I wouldn't be caught without one because they have their uses.
But as far as an all out really close shave, the DE razor shames electric razors. I just sharpened the blades on my Norelco last night. It's very useful for the hard to get to places on and around my chin and corners of the mouth.

Understood all. To be fair, you see the same variation with DE blades and individual users. I use a new blade with every shave, because I notice a difference. Some DE shavers get a dozen shaves or more from a blade, but a twice-used blade feels to me like a clamshell. :001_smile Electrics for me are just another way to shave, with their own deficiencies, just like DEs. I use each for their strengths, and celebrate the differences. Good to have options!

I personally bought my series 6000 Phillips Norelco back in December of 2019.......so 6 months ago.
The degradation in shave quality was noticeable within 3 weeks. By the end of 3 months it had deteriorated badly.
Months 4 and 5, I became annoyed in the time it was taking to get a decent shave. That is because the cutters dulled out badly. You could still shave with it, but the time it took to get a close shave took forever, whereas when it was new, about 3-5 minutes.
If you look around on the net you will find many electric shaver users who have exactly the same complaints as mine.
I have been through literally about a dozen electric shavers over the years and it's the same story, time and time again.
Be it foil or rotary.

They are nice pieces and I like electric shavers. I wouldn't be caught without one because they have their uses.
But as far as an all out really close shave, the DE razor shames electric razors. I just sharpened the blades on my Norelco last night. It's very useful for the hard to get to places on and around my chin and corners of the mouth.

Everyone is an individual with different beards and faces. I’ve never noticed any difference in shave quality after such a short time frame as you with any electric shaver. I’ve been using electric shavers since the early 1960s (Norelco & Braun). Except for one shaver, I always got at least a year’s worth of great shaves before replacing the cutters. The one exception was a Remington shaver several years ago. The Remington was the first washable shaver I owned and the cutters corroded after a couple of months requiring that I had to apply more pressure to shave. The increased pressure over stressed the foils causing them to crack and split. After replacing the cutters and screens a couple of times I tossed the shaver into the trash.

I replaced it with a Panasonic ES8103 which has stainless steel cutters and screens. I shaved with it daily, washed it weekly and never replaced either the cutters nor the screens. After five years of daily use the cutters began to get dull and the battery would no longer hold a one week charge. When the cutters became dull it was very obvious. According to Panasonic’s owner’s manual there is no requirements to lubricant nor dry the parts separately which is required if you shave wet or rinse a Braun shaver. Instead of replacing the parts which are not cheap, I replaced the shaver.

I only shave dry with my current Braun 7983s shaver, and never wet it. According to Braun’s owner’s manual using and cleaning it dry doesn’t require lubrcating the shaver. The shave I got this morning was as good and took the same time as the first one on April 28th 2019 when I bought the shaver. Although the “Replace cassette” indicator light illuminated on Thursday I’m not replacing the cassette until the shave quality deteriorates. Braun’s combined cutter and screen cassette is reasonably priced at Amazon.

Last edited:
After shaving the seventh time the change cassette light went out exactly as the Braun owner’s manual described. Still using the same original cassette and getting great shaves. I will keep everyone posted when I replacemthe cassette.

After shaving the seventh time the change cassette light went out exactly as the Braun owner’s manual described. Still using the same original cassette and getting great shaves. I will keep everyone posted when I replacemthe cassette.
My uncle who is also a wet shaver, here and there uses some braun shaver. I remember that he said he was changing that cutters or what thing is every 2 years.

My uncle who is also a wet shaver, here and there uses some braun shaver. I remember that he said he was changing that cutters or what thing is every 2 years.

Braun recommends every 18 months. However, the change cassette indicator light illuminated after only eleven. I assume that the system only counts numbers of shaves and may have been set incorrectly at the factory. Regardless, going by the quality of the shaves rather than a warning indicator is the best policy. I expect to get at lest two years worth of use out of the original cassette.

I have a Panasonic Arc series, and a Remington F5. For years, I have shaved with a straight razor, or DE safety razor. A few months ago, I destroyed by Rotator Cuff assembly, rendering my right shoulder completely unusable for all practical purposes. It is irreparable, and I will have to have a complete shoulder rebuild with new attachment points for all the tendons and ligaments. In the meantime, it is dangerous for me to try and shave with a straight or safety razor (I am right-handed, of course...). I am thanking Providence that I bought these electric razors on a whim at a resale shop. I get a good shave out of both of them, and I can hold them OK. I like them so much that I went out and bought a Norelco One Blade as well, and I really love it. It does things I can't do as well with a regular razor. I may keep using these electric razors even if they do fix my shoulder.

I have used Electric shavers for years. Right now in my stable there is a new Phillips Norelco series 6000.
Many will tell you the blades are self sharpening and last for a year. This is not true. Not even close to truth.
After about 2 weeks of daily shaves..... your new electric razor does not shave the same as it did the day it came out of the box. It will still shave, and give a fairly close shave , at that. After about 6 weeks the dulling becomes noticeable and it starts taking longer and longer to get those close shaves. At the end of 3 months. it's past time to replace the cutters.
In my case, cutters/replacement heads are about 50 bucks.

You can sharpen the cutters of a rotary shaver, but not a foil shaver. Even after sharpening , they will not be as good as they were when new. But they will be much much better than 6 months of use with no sharpening.
I use mine to touch up the little hard to get to areas after a good wet shave.
Contrary to popular belief, the modern electric shaver does indeed give a close shave, but to get the closest shave from it takes a while. At the end of the day it is nowhere near as close as a wet shave with a double edge blade.
They are , however, very useful for touching up. Just for touch up use they can last a very long time.

You can always spot those guys that say they get 8-10 shaves with a DE blade. The Blood Bank follows them around with a bucket...:001_smile

Understood all. To be fair, you see the same variation with DE blades and individual users. I use a new blade with every shave, because I notice a difference. Some DE shavers get a dozen shaves or more from a blade, but a twice-used blade feels to me like a clamshell. :001_smile Electrics for me are just another way to shave, with their own deficiencies, just like DEs. I use each for their strengths, and celebrate the differences. Good to have options!

I have a Panasonic Arc series, and a Remington F5. For years, I have shaved with a straight razor, or DE safety razor. A few months ago, I destroyed by Rotator Cuff assembly, rendering my right shoulder completely unusable for all practical purposes. It is irreparable, and I will have to have a complete shoulder rebuild with new attachment points for all the tendons and ligaments. In the meantime, it is dangerous for me to try and shave with a straight or safety razor (I am right-handed, of course...). I am thanking Providence that I bought these electric razors on a whim at a resale shop. I get a good shave out of both of them, and I can hold them OK. I like them so much that I went out and bought a Norelco One Blade as well, and I really love it. It does things I can't do as well with a regular razor. I may keep using these electric razors even if they do fix my shoulder.

I'm also a fan of the Philips oneblade. A lot of people knock it around here

I'm also a fan of the Philips oneblade. A lot of people knock it around here
Normally i can use it just for grooming ( using it on face it's so less close than a blade to look like a joke) - and in this particluare period being wet (with 35 degrees Celsius...) i cannot even use it. blade wins big time.

Do you get better shaves when using one blade with wet shave or dry shave?

If I lather with a brush and soap/cream I honestly get a very close shave, similar to a mild de going WTG then XTG. It's much closer, more visually even, and less irritating then the gillette skinguard. I've actually caused very minor ingrowns with the oneblade simply due to it's ability to cut closer then most people think. I have never experienced this close of a shave with that minimal amount of irritation on my neck from any DE, SE, cartridge, or foil shaver. The downside? It sucks on your cheeks, my cheeks never pass the 'wife test'. The blades last 30 full shaves tops before they are toast, 10 tops of you shave your head... Even with the best bulk pricing I've found they are still $9 a piece so expect that to be a monthly cost if it's your 'daily driver'. The charge to use ratio on the base model is pretty awful. I sprung for the face/body model, not because I 'manscape' but because it gives a longer life with shorter charge time.

It gives a closer shave on my neck and cleans up around my moustache better then my Braun foil shaver. My Braun foil shaver gives a closer shave on my chin, cheeks, and Adams apple.

The oneblade is great as a recovery razor and cleaning up neck, sideburns, and hairline between hair cuts as well.

Do you get better shaves when using one blade with wet shave or dry shave?

Quick version: It absolutely would pass the test for even the most strict office shaving requirements, may even pass military inspection. It wouldn't pass the test of a very picky wife or very discerning traditional shave enthusiast.

If I lather with a brush and soap/cream I honestly get a very close shave, similar to a mild de going WTG then XTG. It's much closer, more visually even, and less irritating then the gillette skinguard. I've actually caused very minor ingrowns with the oneblade simply due to it's ability to cut closer then most people think. I have never experienced this close of a shave with that minimal amount of irritation on my neck from any DE, SE, cartridge, or foil shaver. The downside? It sucks on your cheeks, my cheeks never pass the 'wife test'. The blades last 30 full shaves tops before they are toast, 10 tops of you shave your head... Even with the best bulk pricing I've found they are still $9 a piece so expect that to be a monthly cost if it's your 'daily driver'. The charge to use ratio on the base model is pretty awful. I sprung for the face/body model, not because I 'manscape' but because it gives a longer life with shorter charge time.

It gives a closer shave on my neck and cleans up around my moustache better then my Braun foil shaver. My Braun foil shaver gives a closer shave on my chin, cheeks, and Adams apple.

The oneblade is great as a recovery razor and cleaning up neck, sideburns, and hairline between hair cuts as well.
Thank you so much for fast response, My father has beard and Parkinson disease and he has problem walking and driving to a barber, he trims his hair very shor since he's bald and need something for beard lines. I got him electric clippers but says it's too bulky and can't do that himself, so when I'm available I give him a haircut and beard trim.

Thank you so much for fast response, My father has beard and Parkinson disease and he has problem walking and driving to a barber, he trims his hair very shor since he's bald and need something for beard lines. I got him electric clippers but says it's too bulky and can't do that himself, so when I'm available I give him a haircut and beard trim.

This absolutely would be perfect for that! For someone with any kind of disability and/or physical limitation it would be great. It also could be a good tool for caregivers. Here is a video of a guy talking about how quickly and easily he edges his beard with his oneblade:

And here are some good ones on it's head shaving ability:

This absolutely would be perfect for that! For someone with any kind of disability and/or physical limitation it would be great. It also could be a good tool for caregivers. Here is a video of a guy talking about how quickly and easily he edges his beard with his oneblade:

And here are some good ones on it's head shaving ability:
Thank you, I watched those links and honestly if I saw someone who has shaved with this I wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Top Bottom