What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

Image.jpg

This is Chris's photo, my photography skills are nothing to write about.

There's something almost surprisingly austere about the Aristocrat Junior #51/3 design.

Almost no aesthetic flourishes anywhere on it - the flat baseplate, plain neck, very straightforward knurling, handle no thicker than it needs to be to contain the TTO mechanism.

Those two rings on the knob and the maker's marks are about all the embellishment it possesses. It may well be the most plain-looking vintage Gillette design I have seen. And compared to the size of its next generation cousin, the #66 aristocrat, it feels quite small (those full-aristocrat handles add a lot of presence).

The balance is different in the hand, too, to the fourth gen aristocrat - what with the heavier flat baseplate but the significantly thinner handle, the total weight is basically the same, but the Junior is noticeably more head-heavy. Not to an outrageous degree, it's more something you notice when you hold one in each hand.

In short, it's everything I could ask for. I love austere, simple-looking objects, I think that around 70 grams is the ideal weight for a razor, I love TTOs (so convenient!), I know that English Aristocrats respond very well to shallow angle shaving (I think head-heaviness makes shallow angles easier to maintain) and I can't wait to experience the famed efficiency of the third-gen aristocrat head.

As Chris says on the website, sometimes the TTO mechanisms are a little squeaky inside as they are so clean at first. A little lubrication has it feeling smooth like its #66 cousin.

The white platinum plating is impeccable. It holds its own, sitting next to the original-plating rhodium #66. It is, for all its austerity, a gorgeous razor to behold.

I've fed it a new Gillette Platinum (dark blue). I am looking forward to putting it through its paces in the morning.

The famed efficiency of the third generation aristocrat head is real.

I think if I hadn't been taught by the #66 to be careful, if I had instead used it like a Superspeed or a Slim on 5, I would have been injured by it. As it was, I was ready to show it respect from the first.

Like the #66, the blade gap is huge. That edge is just hanging out in space. The #66 has cut me a few times in a very specific way, where if I'm not careful with how I place the razor on the skin, the edge will just push straight into the skin enough to draw a straight red line. Steep angles dramatically increase the risk, by offering a nearly perpendicular contact between blade and skin.

Between having a more shallow angle, making that moment of initial contact light, and also starting the movement of the stroke slightly before making contact with the skin, I am no longer being cut in that way. If I had lacked all that knowledge before getting this Junior, I might have been in real trouble.

The family resemblance between how these razors shave is clear. However, they are also distinct. The Junior offers a more robust shave, requiring fewer strokes and less cleanup. The heavier head dampens feedback slightly, but it also provides a lovely inertia to its movement. That contributes to the way this razor just demolishes stubble.

I know it's cliche to say that your latest razor is your favourite - but I don't know what could displace this. Is my RAD cured?

A thought on the principles of restoring razors. I do understand the position of people who value the history of these used vintage razors, and are not inclined to have those marks of history removed.

However, I also admit to a simple jealousy. The fact is, this kind of work cannot be had new any more. I am plain jealous of the way people used to be able to just go to a shop and buy a masterwork like this Junior, right off a store shelf.

So I am grateful that Chris and other restorers are giving us the opportunity to experience that newness for ourselves. These restored razors are truly ours, now, for our own personal history to be written on them.

I purchased this 1951 Canadian Roacket directly from the Back Roads Gold Etsy site. The razor is fantastic! I am looking forward to the first shave.

When possible, I try to purchase vintage razors in good condition that do not need to be reconditioned. However, for harder-to-find items, replating works for me! Chris has great razors ready to go on his Etsy page, and shipping was fast.
IMG_4610.jpg
IMG_4613.jpg
IMG_4611.jpg
IMG_4612.jpg

These photos in this thread look stunning. I just sent my first razor, a brass Karve Overlander, for 24K gold finish. The package was delivered two days ago. How soon after he receives a razor does he update his order status page??

These photos in this thread look stunning. I just sent my first razor, a brass Karve Overlander, for 24K gold finish. The package was delivered two days ago. How soon after he receives a razor does he update his order status page??
I've had a few razors replated and I don't recall the time frame, but I don't believe I waited very long. I love the idea of a gold Overlander. I might have to copy off of you.

Top Bottom