What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

Well, thanks to everyone's help. Here is the razor I bought.
View attachment 1752723
1000000291.png

Well, that is RUBBISH!! I guess I am not getting that razor.

I remembered talking about the Sheraton I got a few months back and discussed getting it plated in Nickel as a mock Senator.

Since I’ve now found a Senator in the wild I thought I’d post it, but I honestly thought I was posting in the VGRAS thread. I’m not gonna replate this Senator so I realize now this post doesn’t technically belong here.

…back to your regularly scheduled program

Got my first razor coming from Chris soon. I am excited to see what it's like to have a really minty, better than NOS, vintage Gillette. I bet it's gonna shave great. Went with an Aristocrat Jr (second gen one with flat baseplate and endcaps).

I have been reading about "white platinum" - about how it was developed for the watchmaking industry to have most of the properties of rhodium but at platinum prices, using the metals found in platinum mines.

I guess this would make it a specific alloy of platinum but the inventors do not divulge the mix (not unexpectedly).

An interesting info sheet on different rhodium alternative metals: https://acrotec-19e5d.kxcdn.com/wp-...atinum_technical_data_sheet_EN_01_02_2021.pdf

Having one rhodium piece already, I am looking forward to seeing how white platinum compares.

So here’s an easy question.

How many people who have gotten gold have put it through its paces and feel like they can comment on the durability?

I have a 1951 Aristocrat and have only have experience with nickel and rhodium. I prefer nickel, but it seems like it would be wrong on an aristocrat.

How many people who have gotten gold have put it through its paces and feel like they can comment on the durability?

I have a 1951 Aristocrat and have only have experience with nickel and rhodium. I prefer nickel, but it seems like it would be wrong on an aristocrat.
I have over a dozen razors plated by Chris with six plated in gold (including a couple Aristocrats). Here's what he says on his website about his gold plating process:
I use a 24 karat hardened gold plating that is many times more thick (29 micro-inches) than the original plating or gold wash used in the early 1900’s. Anything less than 20µin is considered Electroplating, over 20µin is considered Gold Plate by the FTC. I provide a shave ready, restored razor with high hardness, corrosion and wear resistance.

The gold razors he has done for me show no wear at all, but I wouldn't expect that they would because I have only used each one a handful of times (I've got a large collection that I use). All the work he does is top drawer, and his website has a ton of information about his processes and what he recommends. He also responds to email inquiries. Whatever you have him do will make you happy.

I have a gold Slim I had done about two years ago. I’ve got about 50-60 shaves on it, and it still looks new.

Top Bottom